proper gaming/audio headphones.

Bsmith

hello folks,

i'm looking for a pair of headphones wich are quite relaiable for both gaming and the making of music.

I would like to hear as much suggestions as possible since i never used headphones before.(due to my hearing aid)

so far i only got experience with the standard apple earbuds, altough they blow themself up after using them once for making/mixing music. :(

Im going to have a hard time'with this choice, because i'm planning to step down form the fully "digital" sound i have with the special earphones for hearing aids, since they add no feel at all to the music, music feels empty that way since i had the chance to try the skullcandy headphone a friend of mine bought recently, but that was a bit to skull numbeling(or the sound stood to loud :rolleyes: )

I went looking around myself already a little and thought of the razer kraken 7.1 headphones, but i want to be sure that i don't buy something wich isn't that good at all.

So please leave me suggestions and ideas, discussing each others ideads is also allowed/encouraged.

(might take a while before i answer since i can be heading to bad anytime soon.

budget:

$150 roughly.

Edited by Bsmith

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

the new gaming headphones from Audio-technica

they are awesome

here is a link from CES linus videos

what would be your budget? also do you mind an table mic?

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

I like the DT880's from Beyerdynamic. Good neutral sound. I think im going to buy the premiums, I like the fit and finish more than the pros.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

the new gaming headphones from Audio-technica

they are awesome

here is a link from CES linus videos

yeah i know but the prices wich are listed there are a bit high in my opinion, if i went full music production i would think about it but as it looks like now i wont be doing that for a long time form here.

what would be your budget? also do you mind an table mic?

my budget would be roughly $150,- and a table mic would be a small problem in the near future since i got a small desk, wich is already cramped for school and gaming.

So with a attached microphone would be preferd, altough if really needed i can find a way around it.

I like the DT880's from Beyerdynamic. Good neutral sound. I think im going to buy the premiums, I like the fit and finish more than the pros.

to be honest the 880 are way to flat for me t play games. i know.. having a flat frequency response is the holy grail but flat is not always enjoyable. (for music i do prefer a flat sound) 

so just my opinion 

to be honest the 880 are way to flat for me t play games. i know.. having a flat frequency response is the holy grail but flat is not always enjoyable. (for music i do prefer a flat sound) 

so just my opinion 

I like bass dont get me wrong but like I dont want/enjoy overly agressive bass. I'd rather have the neutral. Either way, like you said, personal preference.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

i would personally recommend sennheiser Hd558's and a modmic 3.0 that would be roughly 150 bucks.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

yeah i know but the prices wich are listed there are a bit high in my opinion, if i went full music production i would think about it but as it looks like now i wont be doing that for a long time form here.

my budget would be roughly $150,- and a table mic would be a small problem in the near future since i got a small desk, wich is already cramped for school and gaming.

So with a attached microphone would be preferd, altough if really needed i can find a way around it.

i don't know much about gaming headsets. but for 150 i would try t find a byredynamics Custom one Pro, AudioTechnica ATH M50, Sennheiser HD558

and try to manage with a desktop mic or a ModMic 

I like bass dont get me wrong but like I dont want/enjoy overly agressive bass. I'd rather have the neutral. Either way, like you said, personal preference.

i didnt mean Beats style bass... i like it tight bass but it should not drown out the mids and highs

Do you need the mic for recording, or just for VoIP?

Better to get good headphones so you can track your music than some gaming headset. The Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 are highly well-regarded by professionals and those who enjoy a flat response.

i don't know much about gaming headsets. but for 150 i would try t find a byredynamics Custom one Pro, AudioTechnica ATH M50, Sennheiser HD558

and try to manage with a desktop mic or a ModMic 

okey thanks, i will have a look at that.

i didnt mean Beats style bass... i like it tight bass but it should not drown out the mids and highs

that sounds about what i need, guess that the 558 gets scratched form the list, altough most people recommanded it, that is going to be a small doubt then.

Do you need the mic for recording, or just for VoIP?

Better to get good headphones so you can track your music than some gaming headset. The Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 are highly well-regarded by professionals and those who enjoy a flat response.

the mic will be used for recording mostly, about the headphones im not really sure since the flat response is what bugs me, form my experience(with the digitalized sound form my hearing aids) a flat sounds gives no feeling to any kinda of bass, wich well... blows.

also form what i have been able to find, is that a stand alone mic gets is the best option if i want to use it for recording mostly, so im having quite a hard time at the moment, at this moment my head goes to the modmic 3.0 and HD558 form sennheiser despite the flat sound.

if nobody else has some recommandtions anymore i want to say thanks to the people who helped me chose.

When recording, you want a flat response headphone for monitoring. If your headphones add things to music that the instruments aren't really producing, than post work in the production of the audio will be a mess. If you want headphones that color your music, it should be for listening to a finished track, not audio production, or mixing. For monitoring, the MDR-7506 from Sony is hard to beat. (It's the industry standard) The ATH-M50's from Audio Technica are also great for mixing, and way more comfortable IMO. I use my M50's all the time for gaming, and they work great. Yes, they may not add as much bass for things like explosions, but they work really well. I use them when playing lots of games, and find everything right where it should be. (I play lots of Terraria) They also sound great for music as well. Sure, there's better options, but the sound you get out of them for 150$ or often times less than that is quite good. You can get a black pair, with a straight cable off Amazon right now for 130$ Add a 20$ microphone of your choice, and you've got a great headset for both music, and gaming. (Although, please get a better microphone if you're using it for music production.) 

When recording, you want a flat response headphone for monitoring. If your headphones add things to music that the instruments aren't really producing, than post work in the production of the audio will be a mess. If you want headphones that color your music, it should be for listening to a finished track, not audio production, or mixing. For monitoring, the MDR-7506 from Sony is hard to beat. (It's the industry standard) The ATH-M50's from Audio Technica are also great for mixing, and way more comfortable IMO. I use my M50's all the time for gaming, and they work great. Yes, they may not add as much bass for things like explosions, but they work really well. I use them when playing lots of games, and find everything right where it should be. (I play lots of Terraria) They also sound great for music as well. Sure, there's better options, but the sound you get out of them for 150$ or often times less than that is quite good. You can get a black pair, with a straight cable off Amazon right now for 130$ Add a 20$ microphone of your choice, and you've got a great headset for both music, and gaming. (Although, please get a better microphone if you're using it for music production.) 

i use my ATH-M50 all the time for a lot of music work and a lot of games. 

i use my ATH-M50 all the time for a lot of music work and a lot of games. 

thanks, i guess this will help quite alot for me.

the mic will be used for recording mostly, about the headphones im not really sure since the flat response is what bugs me, form my experience(with the digitalized sound form my hearing aids) a flat sounds gives no feeling to any kinda of bass, wich well... blows.

also form what i have been able to find, is that a stand alone mic gets is the best option if i want to use it for recording mostly, so im having quite a hard time at the moment, at this moment my head goes to the modmic 3.0 and HD558 form sennheiser despite the flat sound.

if nobody else has some recommandtions anymore i want to say thanks to the people who helped me chose.

If you're doing serious recording, I would recommend a table top mic. The Blue Snowball or audio-technica ATR-2500 will usually set you back around $50.

My recommendation for a "flat" headphone was due to your comment about your friend's Skullcandy headphones being too much. Sennheiser 500 series isn't flat, but are bass emphasized, fyi.

If you're doing serious recording, I would recommend a table top mic. The Blue Snowball or audio-technica ATR-2500 will usually set you back around $50.

My recommendation for a "flat" headphone was due to your comment about your friend's Skullcandy headphones being too much. Sennheiser 500 series isn't flat, but are bass emphasized, fyi.

okey, but i guess the skullcandy was to much since it appearently had(or as my friend said) a subwoofer besides the normal speaker.

so my options at the moment are a Sennheiser 500 seires(588 mentoined alot) or ATH M50, between those it really gets hard to say what is better since i think it depends on each others opinions more then just the sound. I will see wich one is the easiest to get for me.

it really gets hard to say what is better since i think it depends on each others opinions more then just the sound.

Indeed. Most people do find the Senn. to be more comfortable than the M50, however.

Indeed. Most people do find the Senn. to be more comfortable than the M50, however.

okey, but i guess the skullcandy was to much since it appearently had(or as my friend said) a subwoofer besides the normal speaker.

so my options at the moment are a Sennheiser 500 seires(588 mentoined alot) or ATH M50, between those it really gets hard to say what is better since i think it depends on each others opinions more then just the sound. I will see wich one is the easiest to get for me.

i use my M50 for hours on end. but it did take some time to break in. the ear pads take some time to form to the users ear shape and head shape.

also one thing to keep in mind is that the coiled cable on the M50 makes them a little heavy, but the straight cable model should be fine. if you are going to be using it on a PC i recommend a straight cable model 

Get a straight cable M50 period. It's really one thing I wish the red M50's had. I liked the color of them which is part of why I chose them over the black ones. If I could go back to the day I got them, I would have got a black straight cable version and saved some money.