Possible upgrade

Bruno_A

Hello all,

I will go straight to the point: If I were to upgrade my GTX 1080Ti, what would be a viable option for me? I'd be watercooling. I had a look at Vega VII, but it isn't much of an upgrade in some games, and is actually a downgrade, in some. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Bruno Andrade.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

2 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Hello all,

I will go straight to the point: If I were to upgrade my GTX 1080Ti, what would be a viable option for me? I'd be watercooling. I had a look at Vega VII, but it isn't much of an upgrade in some games, and is actually a downgrade, in some. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Bruno Andrade.

dont buy the vega 7. its shite. a mess. discontinued for a reason. 

either keep waiting till amd comes with something better than the 5700xt. 

Or bite the bullet and get the only sensible upgrade. which is the rtx 2080ti. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

You have 3 options:

2080 ti

Titan V

Titan RTX

anything else is a sidegrade or downgrade. You've got a pretty powerful graphics card, why do you want to upgrade?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

You have 3 options:

2080 ti

Titan V

Titan RTX

anything else is a sidegrade or downgrade. You've got a pretty powerful graphics card, why do you want to upgrade?

Honestly, it started to coil whine when I upgraded my CPU, which is able to pull more frames, and this is probably the reason this started happening. Anyway, it's very audible and bothers me quite a lot, especially when I game on speakers. I know it sounds stupid, to upgrade just because of it, but if there are no sensible upgrades that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (RTX 2080Ti), I will keep it and live with the issue.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

5 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Honestly, it started to coil whine when I upgraded my CPU, which is able to pull more frames, and this is probably the reason this started happening. Anyway, it's very audible and bothers me quite a lot, especially when I game on speakers. I know it sounds stupid, to upgrade just because of it, but if there are no sensible upgrades that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (RTX 2080Ti), I will keep it and live with the issue.

that is a weird issue that shouldnt be happening though. you sure its not something else?  
But yes the only sensible upgrade is 2080ti. 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

3 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

that is a weird issue that shouldnt be happening though. you sure its not something else?  
But yes the only sensible upgrade is 2080ti. 

It's the only explanation I have. I had a different motherboard, at the time when I upgraded to my 3600, and I actually thought it was the motharboard. So, I returned it and bought a new one, different manufacturer (my current one) and it kept happening. I thought it could be the PSU, however, I took it out of the case, while still on, put it close to my ear, and could hear some coil whine, very faint. When I put the PSU as far away as possible, while still on, I put my ear next to the graphics card, and it was very clear that the noise was coming from there.

22 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

It's the only explanation I have. I had a different motherboard, at the time when I upgraded to my 3600, and I actually thought it was the motharboard. So, I returned it and bought a new one, different manufacturer (my current one) and it kept happening. I thought it could be the PSU, however, I took it out of the case, while still on, put it close to my ear, and could hear some coil whine, very faint. When I put the PSU as far away as possible, while still on, I put my ear next to the graphics card, and it was very clear that the noise was coming from there.

well i dont think your gpu would go into coilwhining from upgrading to a 3600. 
is the waterblock properly attached?
try running a heavy benchmark for 4 hours straight to see if it settles. it may return though. 
does it do it with everything? game? chrome? while playing videos etc.
tried another psu? 

PC: 

49 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

well i dont think your gpu would go into coilwhining from upgrading to a 3600. 
is the waterblock properly attached?
try running a heavy benchmark for 4 hours straight to see if it settles. it may return though. 
does it do it with everything? game? chrome? while playing videos etc.
tried another psu? 

Tried a different PSU, yes, however, the ones I tested, were the EVGA G2 750 and the SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750. They're the same thing, different brands. As for the CPU block being correctly seated, I am really not sure, and I would not be surprised if it wasn't. Back when I had my Ryzen 5 1600 (No coil whine, ever, with the same other specs) I always had bad temperatures on the CPU. My GPU, which was more demanding, power-wise, had much better temperatures, at around 50C at load. The issue happens when playing games and the graphics card is at 100% load. It does not happen in Aida64, though.

1 hour ago, hollyh88 said:

dont buy the vega 7. its shite. a mess. 

Really? On water they're excellent if you don't need the NVENC encoder or RTX features from Turing. They do have the usual Vega quirks but are by no means shite. 

1 hour ago, hollyh88 said:

discontinued for a reason. 

Was mostly built to prove they could compete with the 1080 Ti, made from cut down enterprise cards, IIRC they weren't selling them at a good margin. With Navi they dropped the RVII because there's no need to keep making something that isn't profitable. 

That said, unless you like the Vega platform and wanna work with it, the Turing cards would be a better option. The 2080/2080 Super (if it's the same price/less than the 2080) are solid options, have RT features and a better NVENC encoder. They're just not that much faster than your 1080 Ti already is in games. If you have the budget for it, the 2080 Ti would be the best upgrade, purely because there's nothing else lmao. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

32 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Really? On water they're excellent if you don't need the NVENC encoder or RTX features from Turing. They do have the usual Vega quirks but are by no means shite. 

Was mostly built to prove they could compete with the 1080 Ti, made from cut down enterprise cards, IIRC they weren't selling them at a good margin. With Navi they dropped the RVII because there's no need to keep making something that isn't profitable. 

That said, unless you like the Vega platform and wanna work with it, the Turing cards would be a better option. The 2080/2080 Super (if it's the same price/less than the 2080) are solid options, have RT features and a better NVENC encoder. They're just not that much faster than your 1080 Ti already is in games. If you have the budget for it, the 2080 Ti would be the best upgrade, purely because there's nothing else lmao. 

yes really lol. most of their software issues were fixed but it still was a pretty damm bad card. they were more likely to test if they could achieve or make a high end card. not as a boast to show they can make a card that can do 1080ti like performance. 

it was a bad card. simply slapping a waterblock to something doesnt make it great :P

PC: 

44 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Tried a different PSU, yes, however, the ones I tested, were the EVGA G2 750 and the SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750. They're the same thing, different brands. As for the CPU block being correctly seated, I am really not sure, and I would not be surprised if it wasn't. Back when I had my Ryzen 5 1600 (No coil whine, ever, with the same other specs) I always had bad temperatures on the CPU. My GPU, which was more demanding, power-wise, had much better temperatures, at around 50C at load. The issue happens when playing games and the graphics card is at 100% load. It does not happen in Aida64, though.

well i mean if your gpu block is properly seated ^^ cpu block can be an issue too ofc. 
okey then it probably isnt due to any wattages. i would suggest seeing if everything is properly tied and seated. 

and as for when it happeneds.. hmm okey. i really would suggest leaving a benchmark on a 4-6 hour run that really taxes the gpu. see if after that or during that the problem goes away.  

PC: 

You seem to have not caught on to the fact that I own one and at the time I got it, also had a 1080 Ti ('twas a Gaming X one I got used from a guy on here):

Spoiler

210676984_IMG_09273.thumb.JPG.b5e804deed3a2378d23a0d05acd79622.JPG

I'm not talking spec vs spec or other people's benchmarks, I can speak directly from my own experience with both cards in actual use, not just benchmarking. 

44 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

yes really lol. most of their software issues were fixed but it still was a pretty damm bad card. 

I can tell you that there's a vast difference between my Radeon VII on the stock cooler and on water. Stock performance is pretty good, but there's a large improvement to be had with the rather large OC headroom (limit is your bin and how much power you're willing to throw at it, due to powerplay tables). If I do get my hands on a 4K monitor and do more substantial testing, it'll be interesting to see what it'll do, Vega cards usually perform better at 1440p/4K than 1080p. From my just eyeballing it testing before, there was no visual difference between my 1080 Ti and RVII at 4K (was testing for a day with my 45" 4K TV, but that's a bit large for an everyday monitor), so I kept the RVII. 

it was a bad card. simply slapping a waterblock to something doesnt make it great :P

Was a decent card before, is excellent now. Quiet, runs much much cooler, OCs pretty well (and I don't have the best of chips). GPUs always take very well to water and you can take what was a hot/loud card and make it pretty damn good. Story was the same for my Vega FE, it went from being decently loud (the fan has a very nice sound profile so it's really not bothersome) at 75C to never breaking 51C, even under full system synthetic benches it hit 53C once. Sadly I never tried OCing that card much. 

They were more likely to test if they could achieve or make a high end card. not as a boast to show they can make a card that can do 1080ti like performance. 

The 1080 Ti is a high end card. AMD wanted to be the first out with 7nm and also wanted to finally compete in the high end space (Vega 64/FE didn't, it was only level with a 1080). Just then Nvidia brought out the 2080 Ti and stomped them, but the RVII still accomplished at least most of its goal. The RVII also is/was an excellent prosumer card for some workloads, same as the Vega FE before it. 

TL;DR: The RVII is an oddball but still a perfectly acceptable card, and a worthy king of the Vega series. Also has all the tweakability and OC potential of the original Vegas (see GN's video where they push a Vega 56 to compete with/beat a 2070), you're mostly limited by your cooling and how much power you're willing to throw at it. 

As for Nvidia vs AMD, AMD has worse NVENC encoders (hardware thing) and ReLive is worse than Shadowplay IMO (software side, not any card's fault). That's about it, otherwise they're both damn good platforms. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch