New pc build need help

DaZe_FAM0US

sorry if this should go somewhere else but i was wondering if its time to upgrade my pc

i have a 4770k with 16gb ram and ive been using it for 6 years

i upgraded the cooler 2 years ago and added more ram around the same time

i wanted to upgrade to a amd ryzen 7 3rd gen 3700

i was looking around online and was reading that the are about the same speed and that the 4770k runs as well as the new ones

im just wondering if anyone thinks its time for and upgrade before my CPU fails but if i can keep it for another 3 years i might just upgrade my GPU 

any advice would be appriciated im just worried my cpu will fail soon since its so old i have not had any problems with it and i clean it often but this is still my first CPU (4th GPU) and im a little worried 

id like to upgrade to a 2070 and get a 4k monitor but i think it would be best to upgrade first

28 minutes ago, DaZe_FAM0US said:

i was wondering if its time to upgrade my pc

only if performance doesn't meet your standards

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

32 minutes ago, DaZe_FAM0US said:

With a 3700 and new parts I think you would see a noticeable improvement in performance. That said, it sounds like you've taken good care of your processor (upgraded the cooler etc) and theres no reason why it wouldn't last 10 years or more, like the posters above me said its not unusual for processors to go obsolete long before they actually die. 

You could try getting a new GPU and sticking it in your rig and see how you like it, what kind of GPU do you currently have? 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

1 minute ago, AntiTrust said:

With a 3700 and new parts I think you would see a noticeable improvement in performance. That said, it sounds like you've taken good care of your processor (upgraded the cooler etc) and theres no reason why it wouldn't last 10 years or more, like the posters above me said its not unusual for processors to go obsolete long before they actually die. 

You could try getting a new GPU and sticking it in your rig and see how you like it, what kind of GPU do you currently have? 

i had a 970 but it died and im running a 1060 3gb card rn (cheapest i could get that wasnt shit)

Just now, DaZe_FAM0US said:

i had a 970 but it died and im running a 1060 3gb card rn (cheapest i could get that wasnt shit)

Try the new Radeon RX 5700 or 5700 XT. It's in a pretty good price range, especially for performance, and can get you a nice taste of newer GPUs. 

Photo | Video | Gaming | Music Production | YouTube Watcher Extraordinaire

High School - Chicago IL USA

Currently building: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ihaterubberboots/saved/zGRq3C ?

31 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

1) clock speed and Raw paper specs do not indicate real world performance, the 4770k is generally comparable to an r5 1500x, first gen quadcore ryzen, the 3700 demolishes it 

2) processors don’t really fail unless you dump an insane amount of power through them, they don’t wear out. You can still buy used processors going back as far as processors have existed and they work fine and will continue to work fine. I have a 20 year old AMD K6-2 that had been running straight from 2000 clear into 2018 I got out of a CNC controller from my old job, works fine, and that’s not some rare example 

For 4k in most games your 4770k honestly should still hold up if paired with an adequate gpu. I would suggest a gpu upgrade with the 4k monitor first to see how the games you play perform with the combo, and if you have cpu bottleneck issues then move to 3rd gen ryzen

im just worried that games will get to a point that i will be bottle necked so im thinking its just time to upgrade i have a 1060 rn and im not in a rush for 4k im just worried my mobo or ram will die and its kinda a pain to find the same mobo i have rn (z87 pro) that isnt the same price as a new one i also wanted to upgrade my ram since im running 2 diffrent speeds and cant find the same speed stick any more 

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

only if performance doesn't meet your standards

it runs fine i just feel like now is a good time to upgrade am i wrong?

1 minute ago, Good Jambo said:

Try the new Radeon RX 5700 or 5700 XT. It's in a pretty good price range, especially for performance, and can get you a nice taste of newer GPUs. 

yea i was looking at them and it runs well but im an evga fanboy Dx

Just now, DaZe_FAM0US said:

yea i was looking at them and it runs well but im an evga fanboy Dx

Bahahaha yes EVGA cards are super sexy.

Currently building: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ihaterubberboots/saved/zGRq3C ?

1 minute ago, Good Jambo said:

Bahahaha yes EVGA cards are super sexy.

my 970 i had was a ftw and it was an amazing card lasted me 5 years i had a gigabit one that was DOA and my 760 was a evga i sold to upgrade to the 970 xD

10 minutes ago, DaZe_FAM0US said:

it runs fine i just feel like now is a good time to upgrade am i wrong?

It's only a good time to upgrade if the money goes towards an improved experience. If you're pleased with your current experience you won't stand to gain anything.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

It's only a good time to upgrade if the money goes towards an improved experience. If you're pleased with your current experience you won't stand to gain anything.

I just got the LTT forum notification sound as Linus said "oh boy!" in a video ?