TN vs IPS, 1440 v 4k

MattWilton

Im looking at a few monitors, Acer Predator XB281HK 4K and ACER PREDATOR 4K XB271HK.... TN and IPS ,, am i right in thinking that a 27" will have better detail due to better PPI?? IPS will have a better contrast but a 4ms response time which i wont see the difference to 1ms on TN...

You want an IPS panel if you care about colors being accurate. TN is acceptable. I have a 144hz TN panel because I live in poverty. 

Is it for Gaming?

And what Hardware do you use?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Is it for Gaming?

And what Hardware do you use?

Yeah its for gaming, not competitive gaming first person shooters, so not to bothered by 60hz or 144..

This is the rig ive ordered... 

Chassis NZXT H700
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
Processor Intel Core i9 9900K Eight Core with HT professionally overclocked to 4.9GHz
CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz DDR4
Graphics Card 11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION
Power Supply Corsair RM650x - 80PLUS GOLD
System Drive 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD
Storage Drive 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Both of those monitors are 60Hz, so I don't think there's any point in going with the TN panel, except for the fact that it's cheaper (I would assume). 

If all you do is play competitive games such as CS:GO, then a high refresh rate TN panel might work for you. Otherwise, go for the IPS. I've got a 60Hz IPS panel myself and personally have never noticed input lag/ghosting even in competitive titles like CS:GO. 

Also keep in mind that 4K gaming is still very demanding on modern hardware, though if you have a top of the line GPU or don't mind dropping game settings in most cases, it might not be a problem. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking for a 1440p monitor instead, which offers a good middle ground between detail and performance. In fact, you could probably find, for about the same price, a 1440p high refresh rate IPS monitor, which I personally think would be a much superior option, offering the best of both worlds.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, MattWilton said:

Yeah its for gaming, not competitive gaming first person shooters, so not to bothered by 60hz or 144..

This is the rig ive ordered... 

Chassis NZXT H700
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
Processor Intel Core i9 9900K Eight Core with HT professionally overclocked to 4.9GHz
CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz DDR4
Graphics Card 11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION
Power Supply Corsair RM650x - 80PLUS GOLD
System Drive 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD
Storage Drive 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Whats your Money left you are willing to spend?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Whats your Money left you are willing to spend?

Max £500.. both monitors are just under, i was thinking does 27" or 28" have btter qauilty due to better ppi

1 minute ago, MattWilton said:

Max £500.. both monitors are just under, i was thinking does 27" or 28" have btter qauilty due to better ppi

Hmm ok.

I just wonder why you buy an overe the top CPU.

You could safe Money here and get a real good Monitor like X34P or PG349Q

I mean, thats what you look at all the time.

7 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Hmm ok.

I just wonder why you buy an overe the top CPU.

You could safe Money here and get a real good Monitor like X34P or PG349Q

I mean, thats what you look at all the time.

True but sitting a few feet away its going to be too big. 

19 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Both of those monitors are 60Hz, so I don't think there's any point in going with the TN panel, except for the fact that it's cheaper (I would assume). 

If all you do is play competitive games such as CS:GO, then a high refresh rate TN panel might work for you. Otherwise, go for the IPS. I've got a 60Hz IPS panel myself and personally have never noticed input lag/ghosting even in competitive titles like CS:GO. 

Also keep in mind that 4K gaming is still very demanding on modern hardware, though if you have a top of the line GPU or don't mind dropping game settings in most cases, it might not be a problem. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking for a 1440p monitor instead, which offers a good middle ground between detail and performance. In fact, you could probably find, for about the same price, a 1440p high refresh rate IPS monitor, which I personally think would be a much superior option, offering the best of both worlds.

Cheers for the advice, im just thinking im spending alot on a pc and think 4k is the way forward, 27 and 28 are bout as big i need.. between 1440 and 4k in the sizes will the 27 4k have better pixel per inch and will be clearer surely? 

2 hours ago, MattWilton said:

Cheers for the advice, im just thinking im spending alot on a pc and think 4k is the way forward, 27 and 28 are bout as big i need.. between 1440 and 4k in the sizes will the 27 4k have better pixel per inch and will be clearer surely? 

Yes, higher resolution = higher PPI = clearer/more detailed image. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Yes, higher resolution = higher PPI = clearer/more detailed image. 

So  4k on a 27" would be better that a 4k on a 28"? 

1 hour ago, MattWilton said:

So  4k on a 27" would be better that a 4k on a 28"? 

Well, yes, on paper, but in reality the difference will be unnoticeable, since it's just a single inch between the two monitors.

12 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Well, yes, on paper, but in reality the difference will be unnoticeable, since it's just a single inch between the two monitors.

Cheers, and the 1ms vs 4ms is kinda irreverent really when it comes to gaming? But ips is a better colour/display 

4 minutes ago, MattWilton said:

Cheers, and the 1ms vs 4ms is kinda irreverent really when it comes to gaming? But ips is a better colour/display 

Yeah, it's pretty much irrelevant, even for gaming. An IPS panel will offer much better colours than even the best TN panels available, so that is a difference that you can definitely notice.

3 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah, it's pretty much irrelevant, even for gaming. An IPS panel will offer much better colours than even the best TN panels available, so that is a difference that you can definitely notice.

Wicked! IPS 4k 27" display it is then! Lol thanks again!