GPU Coil Whine

Bruno_A

Hi all,

It is a sad day for me. Following this post, I managed to find out the whiny buzzing sound was actually coming from my graphics card, a GTX 1080Ti with an expensive waterblock in it. I found out by putting the PSU as far away as possible, outside the case, and by putting my ear near the components. This started happening when I first installed my new Ryzen 5 3600, which was an upgrade for my Ryzen 5 1600. I'm guessing the new CPU is pushing the graphics card further than my old one could, which is why I never heard the noise before, with my old Ryzen 5 1600. Anyway, the card is actually an EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID, that I took the original cooler off (still have it, however, I do not have the backplate anymore, which means the cooler cannot be *properly* mounted anymore). Can anyone tell me if I can RMA this? I do not have a receipt, and I have no idea when it was purchased.

Many thanks, Bruno.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Coil whine isn't an actual issue with the card its a common occurrence in many graphics cards. Essentially one card can have coil whine and be perfectly reliable like any other card. The factors of coil whine simply come from specific combinations of parts and settings and different product batches.

Your BIGGER issue is actually more with how quiet your house is or how sensitive your hearing is more so than the gpu.

when playing skyrim in the item menu i get crazy coil whine otherwise it doesnt whine ( not that i can perceive) 

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

Coil whine isn't an actual issue with the card its a common occurrence in many graphics cards. Essentially one card can have coil whine and be perfectly reliable like any other card. The factors of coil whine simply come from specific combinations of parts and settings and different product batches.

Your BIGGER issue is actually more with how quiet your house is or how sensitive your hearing is more so than the gpu.

Yeah, that is a massive issue. I mostly play with no headphones on. I have tuned my fans to be as silent as possible as well, while offering performance, and I'm extremely sensitive to noise. Despite the card being totally reliable, is it still possible to RMA it due to this inconvenience?

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Since you no longer have some of the components, IE The backplate, I doubt you would be able to successfully achieve an RMA, and most manufactures wont RMA for coil whine as its a natural process and has zero impact on the cards performance. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

19 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Despite the card being totally reliable, is it still possible to RMA it due to this inconvenience?

the card has to be at least complete so no.

also , a new card might actually not fix the issue at all. Again , coil whine can come from specific combinations of parts or whole batches of other parts.

there could be a real situation where you rebuild the entire machine from new parts and still get coil whine simply because your local power companies not perfectly at 60hz or your wall plug passes by the furnace on the way to the room or something. Coil whine is just a funny side effect one one little thing or one massive thing happening in the chain of 100 things the pc needs to run.

26 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Since you no longer have some of the components, IE The backplate, I doubt you would be able to successfully achieve an RMA, and most manufactures wont RMA for coil whine as its a natural process and has zero impact on the cards performance. 

EVGA doesn't care about you removing the cooler, but yeah they do want you to send it back with the stock cooler on if you RMA. Their support people are damn good though, OP should at least ask them about it and see what they can do. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Evga's RMA service is top notch and their support is great but if the card does not have the stock cooler on it they will not accept it for an RMA, and as others have said typically coil whine isn't a sign of a bad card and will in most cases not justify a replacement. I know a lot of the time coil whine goes away on it's own or can be caused by a power feeding issue usually caused by a non-quality PSU or Motherboard. Most of the time running a program like MSI Kombustor on the stress test preset for a few hours will "break in" the card and can sometimes alleviate the coil whine. You can give that a shot if you haven't already. If it doesn't go away I think buying a headset over a brand new card would be the better option.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

EVGA doesn't care about you removing the cooler, but yeah they do want you to send it back with the stock cooler on if you RMA. Their support people are damn good though, OP should at least ask them about it and see what they can do. 

It's worth to ask. I already gave them a call, and left a message so they can call me back when it's my turn in the support queue. The whine is very annoying, but buying a graphics card now, really isn't something I wanted.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Evga's RMA service is top notch and their support is great but if the card does not have the stock cooler on it they will not accept it for an RMA, and as others have said typically coil whine isn't a sign of a bad card and will in most cases not justify a replacement. I know a lot of the time coil whine goes away on it's own or can be caused by a power feeding issue usually caused by a non-quality PSU or Motherboard. Most of the time running a program like MSI Kombustor on the stress test preset for a few hours will "break in" the card and can sometimes alleviate the coil whine. You can give that a shot if you haven't already. If it doesn't go away I think buying a headset over a brand new card would be the better option.

It does have the stock cooler on, in perfect condition. It does not, however, have the backplate.

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

well yea, I know that. But the fact that the OP is missing some of the components it came with, namely the backplate, so it cant be re-assembled as factory defined, it would likely be considered damaged and not something that would be covered under warranty.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

well yea, I know that. But the fact that the OP is missing some of the components it came with, namely the backplate, so it cant be re-assembled as factory defined, it would likely be considered damaged and not something that would be covered under warranty.

Seems like someone is fucked. Seems like that someone is me, as well.

17 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

It does have the stock cooler on, in perfect condition. It does not, however, have the backplate.

Same thing, if it's missing any components and is returned for RMA not factory default it will be considered tampered with. That's why it is recommended to always keep the stock parts you take off of it, just in case it needs to be sent in. I and others also recommend to always keep the original box/packaging as well. You can maybe look around online to see if you can find a stock backplate for it. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |