Coil Whine

Hello all,

I purchased a Ryzen 5 3600 a while ago, and when I installed it, in an MSI board I used to own, it started making noises when CPU load was high, such as in games. I assumed the motherboard was bad, so I returned it and bought myself an ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero. I noticed that it still happens, even with the replacement board. Weirdly, its worse in games, and I actually thought it was the graphics card, however, I ran a Furmark, which stressed my GPU, but kept the CPU at 10%, and I did not hear any coil whine. When I run GPU + CPU stress tests, or even CPU only stress tests on Aida64, the coil whine is there, but it's not nearly as bad as when gaming. It's really noticeable and bothering. Could the CPU be causing this issue? And which component on the board would be making the noise?

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Maybe the PSU makes the noise?

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Maybe the PSU makes the noise?

Ohh right, I forgot to mention that when I was using the other motherboard, I had a different PSU, a SuperFlower Leadex 750W 80+ Gold. However, this, and my current PSU are the *exact* same thing on the inside, as these two brands shared the design.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

11 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

Ohh right, I forgot to mention that when I was using the other motherboard, I had a different PSU, a SuperFlower Leadex 750W 80+ Gold. However, this, and my current PSU are the *exact* same thing on the inside, as these two brands shared the design.

Yes, should be identical besides fan and exterior

Super Flower - SF-750F-14EG

EVGA - 220-G2-0750-XR

So my bet is PSU is making the noise.

Edit: Ah, of course also modular cables are different.

But might be something more.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yes, should be identical besides fan and exterior.

Super Flower - SF-750F-14EG

EVGA - 220-G2-0750-XR

So my bet is PSU is making the noise.

This would be a bummer. I just bought a CableMod kit for this Power Supply, meaning now, I'm stuck to the compatibility list of the kit I just purchased.

5 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

This would be a bummer. I just bought a CableMod kit for this Power Supply, meaning now, I'm stuck to the compatibility list of the kit I just purchased.

I might be wrong though, as can't find anyone complaining about the Super Flower model coil whine.

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

I might be wrong though, as can't find anyone complaining about the Super Flower model coil whine.

I'm willing to give it a shot. It started happening on a different PSU, when I started using my 3600, however, I cannot explain how a CPU would make this noise.

8 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

I'm willing to give it a shot. It started happening on a different PSU, when I started using my 3600, however, I cannot explain how a CPU would make this noise.

Could still also be the GPU. Coil whine can depend on different factors, so it may only happen in certain games or even certain scenes of games. E.g. mine only has audible whine with very high fps (i.e. older games/no vsync enabled).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Could still also be the GPU. Coil whine can depend on different factors, so it may only happen in certain games or even certain scenes of games. E.g. mine only has audible whine with very high fps (i.e. older games/no vsync enabled).

I tried stressing the GPU in games by putting all graphics settings on maximum in BF V, as well as resolution scaling, etc, and I experienced less coil whine, and the CPU usage was lower.

2 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

I tried stressing the GPU in games by putting all graphics settings on maximum in BF V, as well as resolution scaling, etc, and I experienced less coil whine, and the CPU usage was lower.

Like I said mine only has it with very high fps, so you'd have to lower settings as much as possible and disable vsync, preferably on an older game :D High settings/low fps makes it better in my case. It can also depend on what parts of a GPU a game is "stressing" the most, so it may not happen in all of them depending on "how" the game uses the GPU.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

UPDATE: Just purchased an EVGA P2 1000W 80+ Titanium. I'll see if that fixes, when it arrives. Worst case scenario, I just unnecessarily upgraded my PSU.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Like I said mine only has it with very high fps, so you'd have to lower settings as much as possible and disable vsync, preferably on an older game :D High settings/low fps makes it better in my case.

I shall give that a try