which cooler for sck 2011 v3 ,Xeon E5-2640V3?

frozensun

I got myself this CPU on MB Asus Rampage V Extreme,which has backplate on the other side ogf the board which is non removable,and the seller told me it's little tricky to find CPU cooler for it because of this backplate.But I risk it because I got CPU and PSU for 130 euros.

So which (low budget) cooler do I need for this CPU and MB?

Here is the list from where my supplier could get it from:

https://iponcomp.hr/shop/csoport/szamitogep-alkatresz/processzor-levego-hutes?sortOrder=olcso

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

What case and ram are you using? Budget?

Moved to Air Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I won't buy Case cuz I don't have space in the room.RAM=Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666MHz.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Can I use Hyper 212 Evo on this board?

46 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Can I use Hyper 212 Evo on this board?

Yes.

If you don't already have it and just want something cheap that works, the Aidos is also a decent option: https://iponcomp.hr/shop/termek/raijintek-aidos-crno/546166

FYI, you can use the Edit button to add in more info instead of making another post. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

as you can see Hyper 212 Evo is not supported.

Here is the list which are supported in the picture.

I have Hyper 212 Evo but first version back in 2012 year.

The problem is backplate on the board isn't it?

I tried to look for V8 GTS but it is discontinued here.

So will I order Hyper 212 Evo (new version with dual fans/single fan)

Are you sure it will fit?

Screen Shot 10-15-19 at 09.02 PM.PNG

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes.

If you don't already have it and just want something cheap that works, the Aidos is also a decent option: https://iponcomp.hr/shop/termek/raijintek-aidos-crno/546166

FYI, you can use the Edit button to add in more info instead of making another post. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

As far as I can remember Hyper 212 Evo has it's own mechanism and backplate for install on MB.

The problem is backplate on the board isn't it?Will that be an issue in installation?

Screen Shot 10-15-19 at 09.02 PM.PNG

I've used Evo 212 on 2011. It screws onto the CPU socket frame, doesn't need separate backplate. If you still have your spare bits from your Evo 212 then they're short posts you screw into the socket frame, and the cooler bracket screws into the top of those.

Another similar low cost cooler would be the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If the V8 GTS is anything like the two V6 GTs I have you don't even want to look for one, the mounting system is horrible. 

How budget do you need to go? I usually prefer Noctuas (I run an NH-L12S on my E5 4610v2 rn since I had one available), but they're usually on the premium side. Are very high quality and use a really damn good mounting system though. On 2011-3 it's as simple as just putting in 3 peg-like screws on the stock backplate, then you put the mounting bracket on top of those with 4 thumb screws. Then it's two screws to mount any Noctua cooler that uses that mounting system, which I think is most of them. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Guys can Hyper 212 Evo do the job?

I'm not planing more expensive cooler.

7 minutes ago, frozensun said:

The problem is backplate on the board isn't it?

Yes, 2011-3 is listed under specifications for supported cpu sockets on the cooler website. https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-evo/#Specifications

Coolers use the motherboard backplate for 2011-3. 

If you don't already have it, I wouldn't recommend buying it over similar but cheaper coolers.

There's no 'new' Hyper 212 Evo. There are several different Hyper 212's but they're not all Evo's. Which one are you referring to?

Where is that image from? Looks like part of a small inventory list. 

4 minutes ago, porina said:

I've used Evo 212 on 2011. It screws onto the CPU socket frame, doesn't need separate backplate. If you still have your spare bits from your Evo 212 then they're short posts you screw into the socket frame, and the cooler bracket screws into the top of those.

Another similar low cost cooler would be the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO.

On which MB you used?

Just now, frozensun said:

On which MB you used?

Doesn't matter. Sockets are standard, the LGA2011-3 socket package has built in screw points for coolers by default, the same would be true on any motherboard with that socket. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, 2011-3 is listed under specifications for supported cpu sockets on the cooler website. https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-evo/#Specifications

If you don't already have it, I wouldn't recommend buying it over similar but cheaper coolers.

There's no 'new' Hyper 212 Evo. There are several different Hyper 212's but they're not all Evo's. Which one are you referring to?

Where is that image from? Looks like part of a small inventory list. 

Would this one fit okay?

https://iponcomp.hr/shop/termek/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo/196982?pbkeyword=coolermaster+hyper+212+evo&ref=pbproductsug

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Doesn't matter. Sockets are standard, the LGA2011-3 socket package has built in screw points for coolers by default, the same would be true on any motherboard with that socket. 

yeah but it has backplate on the otherside od the board nonremovable.

That doesn't bother installing Hyper 212 Evo?

On which MB you used?

That doesn't really matter. Your mobo has a "square" 2011 mounting and that is widely supported by coolers. If it was the longer/thinner one, that would be more of a problem.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

As mentioned, yes. 

That being said, the Gammaxx 400 is as good if not better and cheaper: https://iponcomp.hr/shop/termek/deepcool-gammaxx-400/655983

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

So I'm with Hyper 212 Evo gtg?

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

As mentioned, yes. 

That being said, the Gammaxx 400 is as good if not better and cheaper: https://iponcomp.hr/shop/termek/deepcool-gammaxx-400/655983

oh so Hyper 212 Evo uses my motherboard backplate right?

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

In picture in above thread, I have a 2011 (not -3 but it is still same) you can see the socket, and if you look in each corner there are black screw posts on it. That's shortly before I installed the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO on it. This is typical for coolers for the socket. They screw into the existing socket mechanism. You don't need to do anything with the backplate.

It has only one Fan,I suppose Xeon is heating a lot,do I maybe need dual fans cooler?

That doesn't bother installing Hyper 212 Evo?

Like @porina said, "It screws onto the CPU socket frame". The coolers literally screw in from the top of the motherboard, I don't see how a backplate could possibly interfere with that. 
1000461564_ScreenShot2019-10-15at3_39_54PM.png.69fc76873a43a40e95de4355bca1f5a8.png

oh so Hyper 212 Evo uses my motherboard backplate right?

Like @WoodenMarker said:

"Coolers use the motherboard backplate for 2011-3. "

Main PC 

OK guys I'll go for 212 Evo.

Does this CPU heat a lot,do I need dual fans on cooler,maybe buy one more fan?

OK guys I'll go for 212 Evo.

Does this CPU heat a lot,do I need dual fans on cooler,maybe buy one more fan?

No, these CPUs at stock aren't super hot. And as far as Xeons go, yours is "only" 8c/16t, the 212 Evo will cool it fine. 

Main PC 

I wonder then why it's not in ASUS tested/approved CPU Fan list?

I contacted their support and they told me strictly to go for V8 GTS.

If it weren't you I could buy 2x more expensive cooler.