CPU LED turns on, and remains on, only on restart

Help please! ? If I cold-start my desktop it starts perfectly every time however, if It's a restart, the CPU red LED comes on and the computer sits there and stops the booting process and all it does is keep the fans running and the red LED light on, forcing me to hard-press the on button to shut it off. This also happens if it is a machine restart like when updating Windows, where it's supposed to do so several times. If I go into the BIOS settings and "Exit without saving changes" it starts ok also. The only time the red LED comes on are when the machine restarts. I've been to the web looking for a fix but no luck so far, I've seen my share of YouTube videos and still haven't been able to solve this issue. Thanks for any tip and/or suggestion! ?

Here are the specs:

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
  • BIOS Date: 08/15/14 15:17:17 Ver: 21.03 (type: BIOS)
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
  • Memory: 32768MB RAM

What I've tried so far:

• Updating BIOS (to its last version, my MB has a couple of years already)
  • Replacing the power supply
  • Removing two memory sticks at a time

1 hour ago, bluebuffalo831 said:

try a different CPU or reseed the CPU

Thanks for the prompt reply! Tried resitting ("reseeding"?) the CPU and didn't work, put back the old i5 CPU and it does, I mean restarting without the fail. Notwithstanding, I'm not giving up on the second hand i7 CPU yet, I'm looking further into the BIOS upgrade needed for this particular MB to be able to run higher end processors. For the latter, I'm not closing this topic/question issue yet. It doesn't make sense that a properly working CPU fails only on restart...

• 1 year later...
On 10/14/2019 at 12:48 PM, EDAL61 said:

Thanks for the prompt reply! Tried resitting ("reseeding"?) the CPU and didn't work, put back the old i5 CPU and it does, I mean restarting without the fail. Notwithstanding, I'm not giving up on the second hand i7 CPU yet, I'm looking further into the BIOS upgrade needed for this particular MB to be able to run higher end processors. For the latter, I'm not closing this topic/question issue yet. It doesn't make sense that a properly working CPU fails only on restart...

Have you been able to fix this issue? I am having the exact same issue on the same mobo.

Maybe reinstalling CPU drivers might help...

On 10/14/2019 at 10:48 AM, EDAL61 said:

I'm looking further into the BIOS upgrade needed for this particular MB

Definitely update the bios, might also clear the bios/nvram also.

But for sure, update the bios. Might even just reflash it even if there is not a newer version.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

47 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

Definitely update the bios, might also clear the bios/nvram also.

But for sure, update the bios. Might even just reflash it even if there is not a newer version.

I tried reflashing it and updated the bios. did not fix issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the solution. 

Download either version 2005 or 2004 (depending on which model ASUS motherboard you have), run the BIOS flash utility through windows and point the program to the BIOS CAP file. Let it run, restart and it should work.

Apparently, this is the updater that made 4790K work, and for whatever reason, any versions released after that don't help (at least until you install this one). 

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone, sorry to necro this old thread but I encounter the exact same issue... red solid LED (CPU failed/not detected) only after restart from windows, or pressing reset button from my case.

My full spec is as follow:

Specification:

CPU: i7-12700 (non k)

Cooler: Fuma 2 Rev b

Mobo: MSI B660 Tomahawk DDR4 WIFI

GPU: Strix RTX 3080 10GB

Ram: Corsair DDR4 3200 LPX (16x2) - it is included in MSI's compatibility list.

Storage: WD SN850 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Torrent Compact

Bios version: 7D41v27

What I have tried:

Strip GPU, SSD, 1 Ram

Replug CPU power (mobo and psu)

Reseat CPU and CPU coolers

Reseat ram

Reinstall windows (clean)

Clear cmos

restore default bios

flash the latest bios version

flash back older bios

disable fast boot

disable memory fast boot

disable secure boot

disable tpm

disable/enable XMP

ran memtest86 (all passed)

Any other suggestion is welcomed... at this rate I am concerned that there is hardware issue with either my mobo or CPU or PSU. To illustrate, I have uploaded a video for quick reference: 

25 minutes ago, travianyeg said:

Hi Everyone, sorry to necro this old thread but I encounter the exact same issue... red solid LED (CPU failed/not detected) only after restart from windows, or pressing reset button from my case.

My full spec is as follow:

Specification:

Ram: Corsair DDR4 3200 LPX (16x2) - it is included in MSI's compatibility list.

What I have tried:

Strip GPU, SSD, 1 Ram

Replug CPU power (mobo and psu)

Reseat CPU and CPU coolers

Reseat ram

Reinstall windows (clean)

Clear cmos

restore default bios

flash the latest bios version

flash back older bios

disable fast boot

disable memory fast boot

disable secure boot

disable tpm

disable/enable XMP

ran memtest86 (all passed)

Any other suggestion is welcomed... at this rate I am concerned that there is hardware issue with either my mobo or CPU or PSU. To illustrate, I have uploaded a video for quick reference: vid snip't

Try next, Disable the C-states.

32 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Try next, Disable the C-states.

Thanks a lot for your speedy reply. I just tried that (CPU Advanced Setting > Disable Intel C-states) but still the same issue persists. Red LED shows as soon as I exit bios and on reset...

Appreciate your help, though and welcome any new suggestions.

24 minutes ago, travianyeg said:

Thanks a lot for your speedy reply. I just tried that (CPU Advanced Setting > Disable Intel C-states) but still the same issue persists. Red LED shows as soon as I exit bios and on reset...

Appreciate your help, though and welcome any new suggestions.

Sure. I have a few ideas, doesn't mean they'll work. But always worth a shot right?

My next thought would be increase LLC. Or even a slight positive vcore. 

If that doesn't do it, I'd like complete total memory specs. That means the timings and voltage used. Confirm the die make with Thaiphoon Burner. All this information you can do with a screen shot.

We can poke around a bit. Let me know. But will have to pick it up again tomorrow. 

30 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Sure. I have a few ideas, doesn't mean they'll work. But always worth a shot right?

My next thought would be increase LLC. Or even a slight positive vcore. 

If that doesn't do it, I'd like complete total memory specs. That means the timings and voltage used. Confirm the die make with Thaiphoon Burner. All this information you can do with a screen shot.

We can poke around a bit. Let me know. But will have to pick it up again tomorrow. 

Definitely and appreciate your help here and I am willing to try anything. I just built my PC (1st timer) 3 days ago and while I can use it perfectly fine when I am booted into windows by manually power it off and power on, this red LED issue whenever I restart is really annoying me. I spent weeks of research to pick these components just to get this annoying issue is frustrating. I have also contacted MSI for support but still waiting for their response.

So I am new to this but have googled and tried to increase LLC and positive vcore as follow:

LLC Mode: Auto > Mode 1 (I googled and it appears Mode 1 is the most aggressive settings)

VCore:

CPU Core Voltage Monitor: VCC Sense (the other option is Socket Sense)

CPU Core Voltage Offset Mode: Auto > +

CPU Core Voltage Offset: Current 0.832V > +0.020

All the rest at auto but I am listing the current voltage below:

CPU SA Voltage: 0.910V

CPU VDDQ Voltage: 1.200V

CPU AUX Voltage: 1.840V

DRAM Voltage: 1.204V

Eventual DRAM Voltage: 1.204V

In terms of ram, please see screenshot from CPU-Z before I strip my SSD. It is Corsair ram and is labelled v3.41. Based on that, it seems to indicate ram is Micron die, 16GB per rank, and possibly a B or E rev? If this is essential, I can load back up my SSD and check with Thaiphoon Burner.

image.png.d062037e4bc801d3c86ef2d9877b3043.png

8 hours ago, travianyeg said:

Definitely and appreciate your help here and I am willing to try anything. I just built my PC (1st timer) 3 days ago and while I can use it perfectly fine when I am booted into windows by manually power it off and power on, this red LED issue whenever I restart is really annoying me. I spent weeks of research to pick these components just to get this annoying issue is frustrating. I have also contacted MSI for support but still waiting for their response.

So I am new to this but have googled and tried to increase LLC and positive vcore as follow:

LLC Mode: Auto > Mode 1 (I googled and it appears Mode 1 is the most aggressive settings)

VCore:

CPU Core Voltage Monitor: VCC Sense (the other option is Socket Sense)

CPU Core Voltage Offset Mode: Auto > +

CPU Core Voltage Offset: Current 0.832V > +0.020

All the rest at auto but I am listing the current voltage below:

CPU SA Voltage: 0.910V

CPU VDDQ Voltage: 1.200V

CPU AUX Voltage: 1.840V

DRAM Voltage: 1.204V

Eventual DRAM Voltage: 1.204V

In terms of ram, please see screenshot from CPU-Z before I strip my SSD. It is Corsair ram and is labelled v3.41. Based on that, it seems to indicate ram is Micron die, 16GB per rank, and possibly a B or E rev? If this is essential, I can load back up my SSD and check with Thaiphoon Burner.

image.png.d062037e4bc801d3c86ef2d9877b3043.png

Thank you for that. 

Everything looks in order. I don't think it's a memory issue at this time.

---

I did take the liberty of some research on your specific motherboard.

The general consensus is 2 things.

1. to reseat the cpu and cooler. Bending is not a new thing to socket 1700 as it would seem we read about often, this in fact has been an issue with LGA for many many years.

2. Is to replace the PSU. In a forum someone mentioned PSUs specifically made for Haswell systems, but I'm not sure how valid that would be for a statement. A little research maybe on that front. 

Here's my resource for #2

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42761-Z87-A-w-I5-4670-Red-Cpu-LED-Issue!/page4

Pick your poison. Me, I'd try a different psu if you have one available. Borrow from a friend or something.

Thanks again for your reply. To put things into context, below is the full spec of my new built pc. Everything brand new:

Ram: Corsair DDR4 3200 LPX (16x2)

For your suggestion #1, I have tried reseat cpu and inspect bent pins and all looks in pristine condition. Also, my issue is just on warm reboot (100%) and it works perfectly fine on cold boot and any form of load test when I’m in windows. If it’s bent pins, I’d have expected some intermittent issue but that’s not my case here.  

For #2, the resource you linked appears to be more in relation to cold boot not warm boot though I am not able to rule out issue with PSU. I don’t have a replacement lying around though but I’ll see if MSI tech support locally can assist. 

CPU red led lit up as soon as I hit the reset button even in its barebone status (cpu, cooler, 1 ram). I read that warm reboot doesn’t do POST on a system, is that correct? If it’s the case, I almost feel like the system fails to initiate POST on warm reboot and stuck at cpu red led (which is the first check/led)…

as I noted earlier, I’m a noob but I think I have googled over 50 threads over weekend but don’t seem to find a solution to my problem, except this OP which has the same issue but don’t see a solution posted here…