Using a laptop with dead battery as a desktop: remove the battery?

Tolrag

Hello,

I was wondering something. If you have a laptop that has a dead (or almost dead) battery, say a 10 years old laptop, that you use plugged in the wall. Is it dangerous to keep the dead lithium battery inside? If removing the battery is too hard, for instance.

Thank you

No, there's no issue in doing so, especially if your battery is dead or nearly dead. If you would use the laptop mainly as a desktop you'd remove the battery to preserve it so it doesn't do too many cycles and wear out with time unnecessarily.

keep it. it can act like a backup incase your power goes out. no matter how worn out the battery gets, it is usefull. 

1 hour ago, Tolrag said:

Is it dangerous to keep the dead lithium battery inside? If removing the battery is too hard, for instance.

better to remove battery, if the model allows, a dying battery is likely to be swollen  and drains fast.

laptop will continuous charge the battery thus waste power

Thank you :) Then, when the time finally happens, I will do my best to find someone who is able to remove it (not that easy in the remote area I live in), knowing that it is okay at least if it is not swollen.

Thanks all for the explanations !

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

better to remove battery, if the model allows, a dying battery is likely to be swollen  and drains fast.

laptop will continuous charge the battery thus waste power

*if not swollen, better have one than not at all. 

if you ever get a power outage or a power fluctuation for even a second, a battery will save you. you can save your work, and shutdown.