Ryzen 7 3700x Overclocking

First of all, I've never overclocked a cpu or gpu, and don't know much about the topic.

I picked up a ryzen 7 3700x for my build, and feel as its under performing in single core performance. My favorite game, Rust, thrives on higher clock speeds, so I'm planning on OCing from 3.6 to a 4.0 (or even higher if possible) Problem is, I'm using a wraith prism stock cooler that came with my ryzen chip. Will that be enough? Currently getting about 40C idle and 55-65C in Rust. Any help/tips much appreciated.

Leave it stock, you will get better performance. My 3700x under full water cooling cant get above 4.2 overclocked and I actually lose performance. Just learn it alone and let PBO do its thing. You gain the best single threaded performance this way. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, builder1909 said:

First of all, I've never overclocked a cpu or gpu, and don't know much about the topic.

What's your RAM speed/timings?

Doesn't it have per CCX overclocking? You can probably just try that at like 4.2-4.4ghz and force the game to run only on the first XXC through CPU affinity in task manager.

Pick up a Neptwin(needs AM4 bracket) or Scythe Fuma 2 in the future in any event.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your RAM speed/timings?

Doesn't it have per CCX overclocking? You can probably just try that at like 4.2-4.4ghz and force the game to run only on the first XXC through CPU affinity in task manager.

Pick up a Neptwin(needs AM4 bracket) or Scythe Fuma 2 in the future in any event.

16gb ram set to 3200hz

You mean oc one core to 4.0+ and leave rest? Can i even do that?

Initially didn't plan on overclocking, so i didn't bother and stuck with wraith prism. Only now i started to think about it.

14 minutes ago, builder1909 said:

3.6 to a 4.0 (or even higher if possible)

It should hit 4.2 or 4.3 all core. But Stock it should be getting 4.4 on single core. Are you measuring your clock while gaming? 

Another thing to check is your ram speed and timing. What ram do you have? Is it configured to run at it's advertised speed and timings? Ryzen really likes fast and low latency ram.  

6 minutes ago, geo3 said:

It should hit 4.2 or 4.3 all core. But Stock it should be getting 4.4 on single core. Are you measuring your clock while gaming? 

Another thing to check is your ram speed and timing. What ram do you have? Is it configured to run at it's advertised speed and timings? Ryzen really likes fast and low latency ram.  

Well i know I have 16gb set to 3200hz. How do i check timing?

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

CPU-Z or Ryzen Master will tell you.

I don't really know what I'm looking at, but

CAS latency: 16

DRAM frequency: 1599.6mhz

1 minute ago, builder1909 said:

Long as it's stable you're fine, just try the CPU overclock then.

You can just use Ryzen Master for it, just turn off any RAM changes in it. Shouldn't need a restart.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, builder1909 said:

That's decent but not great. If you don't get the performance you're looking for from CPU overclock you can try overclocking the ram or trying tighter timings. 

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Long as it's stable you're fine, just try the CPU overclock then.

You can just use Ryzen Master for it, just turn off any RAM changes in it. Shouldn't need a restart.

Alright, but 1 core to 4.0 or all?

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

That's decent but not great. If you don't get the performance you're looking for from CPU overclock you can try overclocking the ram or trying tighter timings. 

I tried ram oc. Highest it would go was like 3333 and after that it wouldn't boot. Really spooked me good when my pc wouldn't boot, luckily all i had to do was clear CMOS. Anyway, left ram speed at 3200hz, don't really know how to set it higher without booting problems. And as to timings, how can I change those?

Anyway, left ram speed at 3200hz, don't really know how to set it higher without booting problems.

What voltage was it set to when trying the OC?

Also double check your infinity fabric clock is set the the same as your ram speed. If it's not it can really hurt performance. 

And as to timings, how can I change those?

In the BIOS (it will be different places depending on what board you have) or using Ryzen master. 

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

What voltage was it set to when trying the OC?

Also double check your infinity fabric clock is set the the same as your ram speed. If it's not it can really hurt performance. 

When I first did it, I didn't really know what I was doing, I just tried higher and higher speeds until until it wouldn't boot. Not sure of the voltage.

Memory clock and fabric clock both set to 1600 mhz. Is that correct? I thought my speed was 3200hz (set in bios)? 

6 minutes ago, builder1909 said:

When I first did it, I didn't really know what I was doing, I just tried higher and higher speeds until until it wouldn't boot. Not sure of the voltage.

What is it now? If it's 1.2v (the default) it's no surprise it would't OC. For 3200 and beyond it should be 1.35v.

6 minutes ago, builder1909 said:

Memory clock and fabric clock both set to 1600 mhz. Is that correct? I thought my speed was 3200hz (set in bios)?

That's correct. DDR means Double Data Rate. Double 1600 is 3200. Some places the actual clock is reported, other places it reports the effective clock. I don't know why.

19 minutes ago, geo3 said:

What is it now? If it's 1.2v (the default) it's no surprise it would't OC. For 3200 and beyond it should be 1.35v.

That's correct. DDR means Double Data Rate. Double 1600 is 3200. Some places the actual clock is reported, other places it reports the effective clock. I don't know why.

Ohh, thank you that explains a lot.

XMP profile rn is:

3200hz at 1.35v 

I didn’t voltage change it at all, it was like that when i went to like 3400hz (pc wouldn’t boot past 3400). I guess thats my default, so if voltage isn’t the problem, what is?

5 minutes ago, builder1909 said:

Ohh, thank you that explains a lot.

You really don't need to go past 3200mhz CL16 to start, you can go up to 1.4V easily though.

Mostly just overclock your CPU as much as possible.

This channel has a lot of content around overclocking memory

Spoiler