Upgrading my computer

I have an Acer Nitro N50-600 with a GTX 1050, i5-8400, and 8 gigs of ram. I was hoping to upgrade the graphics card, but I am not sure what to upgrade it to, and I need some help with what to update it to. I hope to be able to run a dual screen setup with a game going on one screen and a twitch stream or something else running on the other monitor. If anybody is able to help me that would be greatly appreciated. 

P.S.: I didn't know what subtopic to put this in so I put it in General. If I need to move it, please let me know.

1080p 60hz games I'd look at a 1660

However, I may swap out the power supply. I can't imagine any system running a 1050 would have a highly rated power supply

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, MeraliFeisal said:

I have an Acer Nitro N50-600 with a GTX 1050, i5-8400, and 8 gigs of ram. I was hoping to upgrade the graphics card, but I am not sure what to upgrade it to, and I need some help with what to update it to. I hope to be able to run a dual screen setup with a game going on one screen and a twitch stream or something else running on the other monitor. If anybody is able to help me that would be greatly appreciated. 

P.S.: I didn't know what subtopic to put this in so I put it in General. If I need to move it, please let me know.

Check what the PSU is

And are you only running 1080p 60hz monitors?

If so get a used RX 480/580 8GB as they're like $100-120 on ebay

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

1080p 60hz games I'd look at a 1660

However, I may swap out the power supply. I can't imagine any system running a 1050 would have a highly rated power supply

this pic is worrying. it's like something out of the windows xp era.
Acer.png.4092b26c72303a5fb9a505c0bc77349e.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I'm only running 1080p at 60 hz yeah. As for the psu, I don't know how to check what the wattage is rated to.

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

it's like something out of the windows xp era

nah that looks modern to me , xp era actually had higher quality steel than that cheap flimsy stuff we see today

5 minutes ago, MeraliFeisal said:

I'm only running 1080p at 60 hz yeah. As for the psu, I don't know how to check what the wattage is rated to.

Pretty much just look at it and see if it's cheap, or maybe it'll be really light and flimsy like something from ali express.

If you can't find any info about it probably just replace it, does it have PCI-e connectors on it anyways? Like 2 8 pins?

You could also wait and see what the RX 5500 is, it's supposed to be like 25% faster than an RX 580 or something, but it might be OEM only.

Just because it says 500w doesn't mean it's actually capable of that. But your system isn't going to pull more than 250-300W regardless while gaming.

As long as the inside of it looks good you should be fine, you just want big heat sinks and big capacitors mostly I think.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

The GTX 1660 is a great option. In its price bracket, it's probably the best performing card you can get, where the 1660 Ti is a bit faster but has a lot less value.

Judging by the fact that you're on a 1050, though, I think you may want to also look at some cheaper options like the RX 570. It's a bit slower than the 1660, but it's a big step up from the 1050, and it's also a lot cheaper than the 1660.

If you go for a Polaris card like the 470/480/570/580, make sure to pay attention to VRAM. The 4 GB cards are a lot cheaper, and in most cases, they perform exactly the same as the 8 GB cards, but in some games like DOOM (2016), you might see a performance deficit of 12% or higher. For the long run, I recommend against getting a card with less than 6 GB of VRAM, but 4 GB of VRAM is still fine in 2019, even if barely so.

19 minutes ago, MeraliFeisal said:

14 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Check what the PSU is
And are you only running 1080p 60hz monitors?
If so get a used RX 480/580 8GB as they're like $100-120 on ebay

this pic is worrying. it's like something out of the windows xp era.

If @MeraliFeisal has the Acer Nitro N50-600-UR11 W10HML64/CI5-8400/GTX 1050TI/8G/1TB unit, they should have a LiteOn PS-7501-5AE 500W power supply, which isn't ideal, but is better than some of the "brands" I've seen in pre-built PC's before.

image.png.292acc7370ce72487bed3de5f3acf646.png

If they've instead got the version with the SSD (N50-600-UD12 W10HML64USNITRO1Y/CI5-8400/GTX 1050/8GB/256GB PCI SSD), they will either have the LiteOn or a better (in my opinion) FSP FSP500-70EP 500W power supply.

image.png.255f9f39b6dd935d1a8b34e15b979a29.png

nVidia's own website claims a 450W power supply is the minimum required for a GTX 1660 Ti, so on paper either of the above PSU's should be OK, however, I've seen many PSU's in pre-built systems claiming their peak power as the advertised wattage. What this means is sure, it can hit 500W peak for a short time on certain rails, but is actually rated for 400W constant. Usually this is denoted on the sticker on the side of the PSU though, so OP should be able to open the case and check.

image.png.4490d0e7fda26de27f6a1d7113b851ac.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

If @MeraliFeisal has the Acer Nitro N50-600-UR11 W10HML64/CI5-8400/GTX 1050TI/8G/1TB unit, they should have a LiteOn PS-7501-5AE 500W power supply, which isn't ideal, but is better than some of the "brands" I've seen in pre-built PC's before.

image.png.292acc7370ce72487bed3de5f3acf646.png

If they've instead got the version with the SSD (N50-600-UD12 W10HML64USNITRO1Y/CI5-8400/GTX 1050/8GB/256GB PCI SSD), they will either have the LiteOn or a better (in my opinion) FSP FSP500-70EP 500W power supply.

image.png.255f9f39b6dd935d1a8b34e15b979a29.png

nVidia's own website claims a 450W power supply is the minimum, so on paper either of the above PSU's should be OK, however, I've seen many PSU's in pre-built systems claiming their peak power as the advertised wattage. What this means is sure, it can hit 500W peak for a short time on certain rails, but is actually rated for 400W constant. Usually this is denoted on the sticker on the side of the PSU though, so OP should be able to open the case and check.

image.png.4490d0e7fda26de27f6a1d7113b851ac.png

I have the 1TB version. I just checked the PSU and it says 500w on it

1 minute ago, MeraliFeisal said:

Just search ebay and offer up mostly.

You want a dual fan card, preferably with a bigger heat sink if possible.

And just make sure the PSU has an 8 pin or 2 8 pins, it should be fine anyways as long as you aren't overclocking.

https://ebay.us/HYrSKY

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, MeraliFeisal said:

Although at $80 it might be worth living with a reference cooler and 4GBs of VRAM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-RADEON-RX-580-4GB-GDDR5-GRAPHICS-CARD-DP-N-0J41KN/233363818233?hash=item36559146f9%3Ag%3ADkEAAOSwm-Vdij3T&LH_BIN=1

Spoiler

Anything other than a used Vega 64 is bad value at this point considering the rapidly increasing graphical performance requirements in modern games, and whether or not you'll need a new GPU in 3 years due to whatever non-used sub-Vega 64-tier GPU you choose. *hint* *hint* don't settle for sub-tier performance at bad value, get a used Vega 64 ;)    The next GPU upgrade after THAT would be another Vega 64 running both in crossfire honestly.

Just for reference, a Vega 64 is essentially the performance equivalent to a 1080Ti, and they're going for like $250-350 on eBay. Vega 64s in crossfire beat out a 2080Ti, look it up if you don't believe me.

24 minutes ago, KnowledgeByTech said:

Anything other than a used Vega 64 is bad value at this point considering the rapidly increasing graphical performance requirements in modern g

naw.

You'd want Vega 56 with a flashed bios, but the power requirements would be pretty hard for a 500W PSU like that. It's only about a GTX 1080 at best though.

Also just turn down your settings to medium.

and crossfire is basically dead.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

and crossfire is basically dead.

Basically but not entirely, and the revival of multi-gpu support is soon forthcoming so I wouldn't doubt it too much.