RAM OC to 3200

Hello there. So i built my new PC :

Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570

Ryzen 3700x

Gigabyte Gaming OC Rtx 2080 super

cmw16gx4m2c3200c16 Corsair Vengeance rgb pro 16gb 3200

Since i bought 3200mhz ram, i also want to run it at that frequency. I tried turning on the XMP profile, but it is not stable, as soon as i start a game i get bsod. I'm pretty new when it comes to overclocking, but i know that instead of using XMP profile i can set the timings manually, problem is, i have no idea what timings to choose.

Could anyone help me with this, thanks in advance! 

Update the bios first if it's not up to date. 16GB of 3200MHz CL16 memory should be super easy to run on Ryzen 3rd gen.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

18 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Update the bios first if it's not up to date. 16GB of 3200MHz CL16 memory should be super easy to run on Ryzen 3rd gen.

This.

Set your BIOS settings to default and then update your BIOS.

It should run 3200MHz and higher without issues.

Hi Mate, nice build :)

I have the Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi with a 3900x and Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX4M2B3200C16; so similar build.

I found that I needed to have the latest BIOS (it's F6b for me, F5b for your board), go into the BIOS, "Load Optimised Defaults", and then set the memory timing like the photo for it to be stable and maintain the 3,200Mhz speed (it kept reverting to 2,133Mhz every cold boot and/or locking up).

I changed:

1. Extreme Memory Profile X.M.P. to "Profile 1"

2. XMP High Frequency Support to "Level 1" (i.e. 3,200Mhz

3. System Memory Multiplier to "32" manually.

I've only changed my fan profiles (not that you would need to), turned on PBO in the BIOS (also not that you would need to), and turned on ultra fast boot (still not that you would need to), but nothing else.

Hope this helps!

BIOS.jpg

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, SiliconT said:

Hi Mate, nice build :)

I have the Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi with a 3900x and Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX4M2B3200C16; so similar build.

I found that I needed to have the latest BIOS (it's F6b for me, F7b for your board), go into the BIOS, "Load Optimised Defaults", and then set the memory timing like the photo for it to be stable and maintain the 3,200Mhz speed (it kept reverting to 2,133Mhz every cold boot and/or locking up).

I changed:

1. Extreme Memory Profile X.M.P. to "Profile 1"

2. XMP High Frequency Support to "Level 1" (i.e. 3,200Mhz

3. System Memory Multiplier to "32" manually.

I've only changed my fan profiles (not that you would need to), turned on PBO in the BIOS (also not that you would need to), and turned on ultra fast boot (still not that you would need to), but nothing else.

Hope this helps!

BIOS.jpg

Wow, thanks for such a detailed response! Yes, will certainly update my bios and try it then. Sorry to be a bother, but could you tell me how you updated your bios hehe. I know Gigabyte has this @bios software, it automatically updates it for you, but what about backup. How could i make a backup of my current bios, in case the new version will be corrupted or similar?

50 minutes ago, SpinningCat said:

Wow, thanks for such a detailed response! Yes, will certainly update my bios and try it then. Sorry to be a bother, but could you tell me how you updated your bios hehe. I know Gigabyte has this @bios software, it automatically updates it for you, but what about backup. How could I make a backup of my current bios, in case the new version will be corrupted or similar?

No worries, happy to help!

If you don't have the latest BIOS for your board (which is F5b, sorry I mistyped F7b earlier), definitely update that and try only steps 1 and 2 (not 3) first.

First, gigabyte says "Warning: Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction".

The good news is that on your board you can recover your BIOS with the power off (but connected) using Q-Flash and a USB key with a copy of (say) the factory BIOS (which is why you downloaded it earlier). Except for bugs (which flashing an older BIOS can usually fix), over the past 25 years I've found flashing BIOS to be relatively reliable as long as you don't have any sort of power outages during.

There are a few ways to update your BIOS. If you don't have App Center already installed (I wouldn't install it as I've found it buggy):

1. Download both the original BIOS (F3) and new BIOS (F5b) for your board from gigabyte here (you said you had Aorus Elite, not Aorus Elite WIFI, F3b for it would be here)

2. Copy both BIOS files to a USB key, and then apply F5b using Q-Flash (follow the prompts, it's pretty straightforward, otherwise the user guide is here).

3. You can access Q-Flash either by pressing "End" while the computer is starting up, or by pressing "F8" from inside the BIOS ("Del" while the computer is starting up).

If you do have App Center installed, still download an original BIOS and copy it to a USB key for backup, then use @BIOS as you might find it easier.

Hope it goes well :)

5 minutes ago, SiliconT said:

If you don't have the latest BIOS for your board (which is F5b, sorry I mistyped F7b earlier), definitely update that and try only steps 1 and 2 (not 3) first.

First, gigabyte says "Warning: Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction".

The good news is that on your board you can recover your BIOS with the power off (but connected) using Q-Flash and a USB key with a copy of (say) the factory BIOS (which is why you downloaded it earlier). Except for bugs (which flashing an older BIOS can usually fix), over the past 25 years I've found flashing BIOS to be relatively reliable as long as you don't have any sort of power outages during.

There are a few ways to update your BIOS. If you don't have App Center already installed (I wouldn't install it as I've found it buggy):

1. Download both the original BIOS (F3) and new BIOS (F5b) for your board from gigabyte here (you said you had Aorus Elite, not Aorus Elite WIFI, F3b for it would be here)

2. Copy both BIOS files to a USB key, and then apply F5b using Q-Flash (follow the prompts, it's pretty straightforward, otherwise the user guide is here).

3. You can access Q-Flash either by pressing "End" while the computer is starting up, or by pressing "F8" from inside the BIOS ("Del" while the computer is starting up).

If you do have App Center installed, still download an original BIOS and copy it to a USB key for backup, then use @BIOS as you might find it easier.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate you taking the time! After I'm back home, I'll do it and I'll keep you posted of how it went! 

btw make sure the chipset driver is up to date before you update the BIOS, or random crashes will occur in the OS making stress testing impossible

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 hours ago, SiliconT said:

Hello there. So i have done a few things after i came back home. Firstly i updated the bios, i really thought that would be much more difficult. That went without any problems. After that i tried activating the XMP profile, that is when the trouble started. After activating it i tried to test it by playing Mordhau. For 5 min it was great, and suddenly poof, a black screen, and my PC rebooted. After that i couldn't even type in my windows password before it rebooted again. So the same thing like before the bios update. Then i disabled the XMP and my PC runs like normal again. But then i checked the task manager and saw that my RAM runs on 3200Mhz, turns out i forgot to change the System memory Multiplier back to auto. So now my RAM runs on 3200Mhz but without any tweaking regarding to timings. Does this even do anything, or should i just let the RAM run on 2133Mhz again? 

Nice work on your first BIOS upgrade!

I wouldn’t worry about what windows says about memory, download CPU-Z from here and check the memory speed on the “memory” tab. It should show half the expected speed, i.e. a little under 1600MHz for 3200MHz (because it's double data rate memory, the actual frequency is half the speed you expect).

image.png.8bc43a605f94efcb1899eaa4939d37d4.png

A “load optimised defaults” in BIOS plus XMP enabled with Profile 1, Level 1 would be the best option for 3200Mhz stability, if it works. It sounds like you had XMP enabled plus the manual multiplier (which was an optional step in case XMP alone didn’t work), or maybe just the manual multiplier?

Have you tried just XMP on Profile 1, Level 1 with the multiplier on auto and everything else in the BIOS set to default?

Also, as @Jurrunio said, do you have the latest AMD chipset drivers downloaded and installed from here, and latest nVidia drivers from here?

Personally, I would do initial stability testing without anything installed from gigabyte except maybe their "Fast Boot" app, which is an easy way to get into the BIOS if you have fast or ultra fast boot enabled (and doesn't require the horrible App Center), and RGB Fusion, for controlling motherboard lighting effects if you need it (and also doesn't require the horrible App Center).

You can also use the stress tests in apps like CPU-Z, Superposition on 1080p maximum and Prime95 starting at say 20 mins (or overnight once you know it will last a couple of hours) to make sure your machine is stable before you do anything you want to be able to save :)

image.png.a0112445bdb2db6aa6f475523003a589.png

image.png.bd66306e2ef1ddd11c7d2f5ba2f54b34.png

image.png.fc27cf39cac5059542ecc4ab5d7f4ce3.png

good luck :)

9 hours ago, SiliconT said:

Nice work on your first BIOS upgrade!

I wouldn’t worry about what windows says about memory, download CPU-Z from here and check the memory speed on the “memory” tab. It should show half the expected speed, i.e. a little under 1600MHz for 3200MHz (because it's double data rate memory, the actual frequency is half the speed you expect).

image.png.8bc43a605f94efcb1899eaa4939d37d4.png

A “load optimised defaults” in BIOS plus XMP enabled with Profile 1, Level 1 would be the best option for 3200Mhz stability, if it works. It sounds like you had XMP enabled plus the manual multiplier (which was an optional step in case XMP alone didn’t work), or maybe just the manual multiplier?

Have you tried just XMP on Profile 1, Level 1 with the multiplier on auto and everything else in the BIOS set to default?

Also, as @Jurrunio said, do you have the latest AMD chipset drivers downloaded and installed from here, and latest nVidia drivers from here?

Personally, I would do initial stability testing without anything installed from gigabyte except maybe their "Fast Boot" app, which is an easy way to get into the BIOS if you have fast or ultra fast boot enabled (and doesn't require the horrible App Center), and RGB Fusion, for controlling motherboard lighting effects if you need it (and also doesn't require the horrible App Center).

You can also use the stress tests in apps like CPU-Z, Superposition on 1080p maximum and Prime95 starting at say 20 mins (or overnight once you know it will last a couple of hours) to make sure your machine is stable before you do anything you want to be able to save :)

image.png.a0112445bdb2db6aa6f475523003a589.png

image.png.bd66306e2ef1ddd11c7d2f5ba2f54b34.png

image.png.fc27cf39cac5059542ecc4ab5d7f4ce3.png

good luck :)

Good morning mate! So i just decided to download CPU-Z to see if the 3200Mhz shown in the task manager is actually true. It appears to be so.

Also tried running a stress test, benchmarked it as well, and no problems hehehe. Though i am still not sure about the timings, they are completely different from yours. But do they even matter if it actually runs on the frequency i actually want it to run at?

Capture.PNG

Nice work on the DRAM Frequency, but no, that timing isn't right @ 3200Mhz for the memory model number you listed unless you made other changes to your memory settings? Will definitely impact performance.

Your XMP Level 1, 3200Mhz profile should be 16-18-18-36 according to the Corsair website (you can't directly compare timing for different DRAM frequencies BTW).

Can you check your memory part number on the CPU-Z SPD Tab?

image.png.604aadfc4205d7f4d6ad9155808fbcfc.png

What timing is listed next to your memory in BIOS?

image.png.0b7f9e14318ab3a139a784574e2d67df.png

Also, I notice you've got version 1.90.1 of CPU-Z, which I don't see on their website here. Maybe they released and withdrew it, or something else.

Anyway, maybe check again using 1.90.0?

7 hours ago, SiliconT said:

Nice work on the DRAM Frequency, but no, that timing isn't right @ 3200Mhz for the memory model number you listed unless you made other changes to your memory settings? Will definitely impact performance.

Your XMP Level 1, 3200Mhz profile should be 16-18-18-36 according to the Corsair website (you can't directly compare timing for different DRAM frequencies BTW).

Can you check your memory part number on the CPU-Z SPD Tab?

image.png.604aadfc4205d7f4d6ad9155808fbcfc.png

What timing is listed next to your memory in BIOS?

image.png.0b7f9e14318ab3a139a784574e2d67df.png

Also, I notice you've got version 1.90.1 of CPU-Z, which I don't see on their website here. Maybe they released and withdrew it, or something else.

Anyway, maybe check again using 1.90.0?

So, the memory part number is the same as the one I typed earlier. Also the timings in BIOS are the same as the ones of CPU-Z (downloaded 1.90.0 everything's the same). I tired to apply the XMP profile again and run some stress tests, during those stress tests it was stable. But as soon as i started a game boom crash. Really don't get this. I used some benchmarking software to run some tests on 2133Mhz stock and 3200Mhz with my current 'bad' timings, and the results with 3200Mhz were indeed a bit better. For me that would be enough i guess, but i am a bit worried if those bad timings could affect the lifespan of my ram, really strange that the xmp is not working properly

Hmmm, that is a bit strange then. It's possibly an issue with the latest version of firmware for that board, which may be fixed in a future release (so keep an eye on that).

I don't believe that running your memory with slower timing will cause any kind of issues for the lifespan, there is just a performance issue.

Is it possible to return the memory? It very well might be faulty, or you could of course try setting your memory timing to match the specs @ 3200Mhz in the "Advanced Memory Settings" section of the BIOS, and test again.

6 hours ago, SiliconT said:

Hmmm, that is a bit strange then. It's possibly an issue with the latest version of firmware for that board, which may be fixed in a future release (so keep an eye on that).

I don't believe that running your memory with slower timing will cause any kind of issues for the lifespan, there is just a performance issue.

Is it possible to return the memory? It very well might be faulty, or you could of course try setting your memory timing to match the specs @ 3200Mhz in the "Advanced Memory Settings" section of the BIOS, and test again.

It has been a bit over two months since i bought all of my parts, and the return policy from the shop is only a month.. 

Yes, i also thought of doing that manually, but Corsair only gives the 16 18 18 36 54 timings on their page, but in bios there are a lot more timings that could be changed. And i checked, after applying XMP, those timings change as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the same issue and found the solution from a user that also had the exact same issue with the ram:

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1023495#post1023495

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/8192/happy-x570-vengeance-issue-solved

The following settings solved his issue:
- Enable XMP
- Set DRAM voltage manually to 1.35V
- Set RAM multiplier to 32x
- Set the first five subtimings manually to 16-18-18-18-36 (the same as XMP would) (important!)
- Set the sixth timing (tRC) to 56 instead of 54 as XMP would (important!)

Tested on the latest GB BIOS f10c.

So the issue is with the XMP profile not being read properly. Only when activiating XMP and making the above changes in the BIOS the system runs stable.

It may be due to Gigabyte BIOS or AGESA related features that regulate the timings on the Ryzen platform, maybe even Ryzen's internal memory controller.