Recovering browser sessions

Tonight I had my boot drive yeet its boot sector so hard after a windows update it no longer registered an installation. I've managed to recover most of my data from it, but there are a couple of things I'm still trying to get off. I had Firefox tabs and Chrome tabs in session memory and I'm trying to restore them on a new drive. I managed to get my bookmarks and history back, but no tabs.

If anybody could help, that would be massively appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, AutonomousRedux said:

Tonight I had my boot drive yeet its boot sector so hard after a windows update it no longer registered an installation. I've managed to recover most of my data from it, but there are a couple of things I'm still trying to get off. I had Firefox tabs and Chrome tabs in session memory and I'm trying to restore them on a new drive. I managed to get my bookmarks and history back, but no tabs.

If anybody could help, that would be massively appreciated. 

If the drive itself is still accessible, you can recover both your Firefox & Chrome user profiles from the following folders:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\STRING.default

Where USERNAME is the username you used on the old Windows install, and STRING is a unique string randomly assigned by Firefox.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

13 minutes ago, kirashi said:

If the drive itself is still accessible, you can recover both your Firefox & Chrome user profiles from the following folders:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\STRING.default

Where USERNAME is the username you used on the old Windows install, and STRING is a unique string randomly assigned by Firefox.

I see. 

And should I just whole copy paste everything? 

Just now, AutonomousRedux said:

I see. 

And should I just whole copy paste everything? 

If you haven't setup Chrome or Firefox since reinstalling Windows, you can indeed copy/paste everything in those folders over to the same locations on the new PC. You may have to manually go inside the STRING.default folder, copying the contents out to whatever the new randomized STRING.default folder is on your new installation. Keep in mind this won't necessarily grab everything as certain items like cached content, HTML5 storage, and passwords are not usually transferable due to security reasons.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

If you have added an account to chrome or firefox they should have saved your browsing session online. Check recent tabs.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

14 hours ago, kirashi said:

If you haven't setup Chrome or Firefox since reinstalling Windows, you can indeed copy/paste everything in those folders over to the same locations on the new PC. You may have to manually go inside the STRING.default folder, copying the contents out to whatever the new randomized STRING.default folder is on your new installation. Keep in mind this won't necessarily grab everything as certain items like cached content, HTML5 storage, and passwords are not usually transferable due to security reasons.

Aight. I'll give it a shot. Thank you.