pc - server with windows

ChemicalM

it's time to change my old busyness pc-server, the one i have now is a xeon 3050. i was watching the Dell t140, and the price was not so high even if Windows Server 2016 was added, but someone told me that i had to add even 

5-pack of Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop Services, Device

and 

5-pack of Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop Services, USER

is it true? what are this pack for? adding both of them the price doubled

Server 2016 Standard is just the licence for installing it on a server.

When u want users to connect to it you will need a CAL, depending on use case this can be a device CAL or user CAL.

Tho in most cases you will want an user CAL as it allows an user to connect from multiple devices.

Device CAL is for allowing 1 device with unlimited users (the licence is bound to the hardware device)

So just count the number of users that need to log in (dont forget to add things like scanners and other hardware that logs in)

Edit: i jusy noticed the RDS, will the users connect through an RDS gateway server or are they just on the local network?

4 hours ago, Dujith said:

Server 2016 Standard is just the licence for installing it on a server.

When u want users to connect to it you will need a CAL, depending on use case this can be a device CAL or user CAL.

Tho in most cases you will want an user CAL as it allows an user to connect from multiple devices.

Device CAL is for allowing 1 device with unlimited users (the licence is bound to the hardware device)

So just count the number of users that need to log in (dont forget to add things like scanners and other hardware that logs in)

Edit: i jusy noticed the RDS, will the users connect through an RDS gateway server or are they just on the local network?

so to not make any error.
i have 2 pc (1 server and another one connected to it - i will have to add a third one ) , a Multifunction Laser Printer (printer, scanner, fax) and sometimes i work from home through remote desktop (just 1 user for now). that should be all. will i need both pack? does't 5pack + 5pack seems a little too much?

How many users are working in your network and using the server's services? It is almost always better to use User CAL compared to device CAL. As far as I know, if every user has a valid User CAL, all devices in a network are only being used by licensed users and are therefore themselves licenses. As soon as you're mixing even just one Device CAL for a system that is being used by various users who don't have a User CAL, ALL of your network devices that are being accessed through your Server or use ANY form of service supplied by that windows server need a Device CAL.

You need specific CALs for general Server services, a specific CAL for RDS and a specific CAL for Exchange.

Microsoft Server licensing is a b***h ...

Edit: just to clarify, a User CAL is bound to the user (not the account!) a device CAL is bound to the device no matter how many different users are using it. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

7 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

How many users are working in your network and using the server's services? It is almost always better to use User CAL compared to device CAL. As far as I know, if every user has a valid User CAL, all devices in a network are only being used by licensed users and are therefore themselves licenses. As soon as you're mixing even just one Device CAL for a system that is being used by various users who don't have a User CAL, ALL of your network devices that are being accessed through your Server or use ANY form of service supplied by that windows server need a Device CAL.

You need specific CALs for general Server services, a specific CAL for RDS and a specific CAL for Exchange.

Microsoft Server licensing is a b***h ...

Edit: just to clarify, a User CAL is bound to the user (not the account!) a device CAL is bound to the device no matter how many different users are using it. 

thanks, i'm realizing it. wtf is wrong with microsoft

there are 3 persons working

2 pc (3 in the future)

1 printer/scanner

shoudn't be ok to use just the 5 pack users? even counting the remote desktop?

to understand this is more or less the configuration they did to me

Base
PowerEdge T140 Server

Chassis Configuration
3.5" Chassis up to 4 Cabled Hard Drives and Software RAID

Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
Trusted Platform Module 1.2

Processor
Intel® Xeon® E-2124 3.3GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T, turbo (71W)

Memory Capacity
8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM

Operating System
Windows Server® 2016,Standard,16CORE,Factory Inst,No MED,NO CAL, Multi-Language

OS Media Kits
Windows Server® 2016,Standard,16CORE, Media Kit, Multi-Language; Windows Server® 2016 Standard Edition,No Media;2012R2 Downgrade Media, Multi-Language

Client Access Licenses
5-pack of Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop Services, Device; 

13 minutes ago, Jager23 said:

2 pc (3 in the future)

1 printer/scanner

Are you buyging this from dell?

Why 2016? run 2019 if you can.

You need device or user cals, get what you need fewer of.

48 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you buyging this from dell?

Why 2016? run 2019 if you can.

You need device or user cals, get what you need fewer of.

i don't know. this is the conf they proposed to me

1 hour ago, Jager23 said:

2 pc (3 in the future)

1 printer/scanner

Base
PowerEdge T140 Server

Chassis Configuration
3.5" Chassis up to 4 Cabled Hard Drives and Software RAID

Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
Trusted Platform Module 1.2

Processor
Intel® Xeon® E-2124 3.3GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T, turbo (71W)

Memory Capacity
8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM

Operating System
Windows Server® 2016,Standard,16CORE,Factory Inst,No MED,NO CAL, Multi-Language

OS Media Kits
Windows Server® 2016,Standard,16CORE, Media Kit, Multi-Language; Windows Server® 2016 Standard Edition,No Media;2012R2 Downgrade Media, Multi-Language

Client Access Licenses
5-pack of Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop Services, Device; 

Your a missing the point! You don't need RDS User and Device CAL. You need WIndows Server CAL of one kind and RDS CAL of one kind. If there are 3 users then you need 3 Windows Server User CAL (no matter how many devices in your network) and you need as many RDS User CAL as there are users connecting to the RDP. If that's just one, then you only need 1, if it is 2, then go for 2. WIth 3 RDS User CAL all 3 users can use the RDS service. If you need an Exchange server, you will need Exchange CAL as well.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

55 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Your a missing the point! You don't need RDS User and Device CAL. You need WIndows Server CAL of one kind and RDS CAL of one kind. If there are 3 users then you need 3 Windows Server User CAL (no matter how many devices in your network) and you need as many RDS User CAL as there are users connecting to the RDP. If that's just one, then you only need 1, if it is 2, then go for 2. WIth 3 RDS User CAL all 3 users can use the RDS service. If you need an Exchange server, you will need Exchange CAL as well.

Now i understand! thanks :)