Intel i7 9700K (Performance inquire)

Hello guys,

I´m using this system:

Intel i7 9700K at 5.0GHz (1.30v Override) on a MSI Z390I Gaming Edge with a Seasonic GX Focus 650W 80+ Gold with a RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC X3, running DDR4 16GB in Dual Channel at 3600MHz (Timming: 18-20-20-38).

I run 2 times the GTA V Benchmark and watched the HWMonitor. How is it possible I get 2 cores with 100%?! ?

Is everything in this results/ monitor correct? Sorry to ask, i´m noob when it comes to this!

Playing at 1080p / Ultra

Thanks

DEfbeBq.png

qS7FjT6.png

they are probable the main cores and the other ones are just helping out

and in game a cpu isnt used that much anyway

9 minutes ago, DejaVoodoo said:

Not sure, but most games don't use multiple cores.

Can u explain it better? ? 

2 minutes ago, bluebuffalo831 said:

So, what u think, its overused? Is something wrong with my system?

no a chip that good isn't going to be pegged 100% on all cores in games

thoughs 2 cores are doing the most of the game rendering and the other ones are just helping were it needs it 

it seems normal to me 

3 minutes ago, bluebuffalo831 said:

Depends on the game, something like Destiny 2 can use up to 20 cores/threads, but due to splitting it out over all those it won't hit 100% on all of them. The two in this case are probably just working harder than the rest, and like you said the others are helping out with other stuff. 

1 minute ago, PTGamer86 said:

So, what u think, its overused? Is something wrong with my system?

If you're overheating and throttling, if fps is dropping or you have stutter and lag, if you get a BSOD or something, then yes. If your CPU is just hitting 100% on two cores - or even all cores - while under load, that's no issue at all unless you're getting choppy performance (for example Anthem at launch would max all cores to 100% for no performance gain, that was an issue with the game though, not anyone's PCs). CPUs are designed to run at 100% so long as they're kept under the throttling temp (100C for Intel, I forget what for AMD). It's healthiest for the CPU to stay under 85-90C though, but % load will not harm them. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

49 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Depends on the game, something like Destiny 2 can use up to 20 cores/threads, but due to splitting it out over all those it won't hit 100% on all of them. The two in this case are probably just working harder than the rest, and like you said the others are helping out with other stuff. 

If you're overheating and throttling, if fps is dropping or you have stutter and lag, if you get a BSOD or something, then yes. If your CPU is just hitting 100% on two cores - or even all cores - while under load, that's no issue at all unless you're getting choppy performance (for example Anthem at launch would max all cores to 100% for no performance gain, that was an issue with the game though, not anyone's PCs). CPUs are designed to run at 100% so long as they're kept under the throttling temp (100C for Intel, I forget what for AMD). It's healthiest for the CPU to stay under 85-90C though, but % load will not harm them. 

According to Intel Xtreme program that I did for 60 min I didn´t had any throttle in any department.

But again, my GPU should load always at 97%, no? Im asking that because sometimes the % usage of GPU and CPU are weird, like CPU has more usage for instante the the GPU!

Never got any BSOD and fps drops, well didn´t notice much but shutter (BF series I had), besides that, what Game could I test to see if it performs well????

35 minutes ago, PTGamer86 said:

According to Intel Xtreme program that I did for 60 min I didn´t had any throttle in any department.

But again, my GPU should load always at 97%, no? Im asking that because sometimes the % usage of GPU and CPU are weird, like CPU has more usage for instante the the GPU!

Never got any BSOD and fps drops, well didn´t notice much but shutter (BF series I had), besides that, what Game could I test to see if it performs well????

Your CPU and GPU usage always fluctuate based on usage, that's how they work. The CPU won't sit at a 97% load if there's nothing using 97% of it, same for the GPU. They sit at the % they're being used. If your PC is idling, chances are you'll have like 2-5% on the CPU and 3% usage on the GPU, once you start doing different tasks it'll fluctuate. You may have something that pushes the CPU to 100% and the GPU will sit at 3% (for example, if you start something like a Cinebench R20 CPU run, it'll push the CPU to 100% on all cores, but the GPU will just idle because that test is CPU only). If you run a GPU benchmark your GPU will go to 97-100% and your CPU will probably hit 20-80% depending on the benchmark (the GPU needs the CPU to feed it information, so if the GPU is used a lot then the CPU will be used a little to a lot, depending on what the software is telling the GPU to do, and what the GPU needs from the CPU). 

Here's the CPU usage on my MacBook Pro just doing Excel and running Safari, Spotify, and Slack at work: 
850722206_ScreenShot2019-10-09at3_38_24PM.png.689c0bdc708b8c274bf94cb490922d94.png

The spikes are where software asked the CPU to do something, in the lower parts it wasn't doing much so it just sat around at a low usage. For example, if I quit excel and reopened it, usage would spike as the CPU runs all the processes Excel needs to get going, and hard drive usage would as well, since it has to feed info for Excel to the CPU and RAM. Once Excel is open, unless I actually open a file and start editing it, it'll basically pause and hardly do anything, so CPU usage will drop. 

TL;DR: usage wildly fluctuating is totally normal. Your clocks will actually hop around a lot too, if CPUs/GPUs aren't under heavy load they'll drop down to much lower clocks so they can use less voltage, thus being cooler and using less power. You'd have to use special settings in the BIOS or software to force them to not downclock when idle, but there's usually no benefits to that. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch