Laptop CPU Automatically "overclocking" and reaching unsafe temps

Mr. Budget

My laptop CPU (I5-2540M) keeps going to 3.10ghz despite its base speed being about 2.60 ghz and reaching the unsafe temps of 95-97 celcius. Any way to prevent this? Note: I recently got a cooling pad that keeps it down at 85-90 C but it's very clunky

my terrible laptop: CPU: i5-2450M at 2.60 ghz base (however goes up to 3.30 ghz on any steam game i run. odd.) GPU: integrated Quadro NVS 4200m (garbage. the reason that this is terrible.) 6GB of ram, 300GB HDD. refurbished Dell Latitude Esomething. got it for like 140 bucks on amazon.

An Intel mobile CPU is designed to use full turbo boost until it reaches the thermal throttling temperature.  Sounds like your CPU is working as intended.

If you disagree with Intel, you can use ThrottleStop to dial in as much turbo boost as you like.  Anywhere from none to full turbo boost is possible.  Just adjust the Turbo Ratio Limits.

If you do not want to run a third party utility, you can go into the Windows Power Options and set the maximum processor state to 99%.  Setting this to anything less than 100% will disable all turbo boost.

You have to be careful when replacing the thermal paste.  Some Dell laptops from this era use thermal pads.  If you only use a thin layer of thermal paste, the CPU heatsink might be prevented from making full contact with the CPU.  If this happens, your CPU temps will go through the roof.

4 hours ago, unclewebb said:

An Intel mobile CPU is designed to use full turbo boost until it reaches the thermal throttling temperature.  Sounds like your CPU is working as intended.

If you disagree with Intel, you can use ThrottleStop to dial in as much turbo boost as you like.  Anywhere from none to full turbo boost is possible.  Just adjust the Turbo Ratio Limits.

If you do not want to run a third party utility, you can go into the Windows Power Options and set the maximum processor state to 99%.  Setting this to anything less than 100% will disable all turbo boost.

You have to be careful when replacing the thermal paste.  Some Dell laptops from this era use thermal pads.  If you only use a thin layer of thermal paste, the CPU heatsink might be prevented from making full contact with the CPU.  If this happens, your CPU temps will go through the roof.

Ah, alright. This will probably work since it keeps hitting 95 celcius turboing. It was a Dell Latitude E6450(i think) that was refurbished and upgraded.

my terrible laptop: CPU: i5-2450M at 2.60 ghz base (however goes up to 3.30 ghz on any steam game i run. odd.) GPU: integrated Quadro NVS 4200m (garbage. the reason that this is terrible.) 6GB of ram, 300GB HDD. refurbished Dell Latitude Esomething. got it for like 140 bucks on amazon.