Two questions about new gaming laptop

Go to solution Solved by emosun,
5 minutes ago, Markski said:

I will be very happy if I can get at least 3 years out of this machine. Does that sound feasible for this machine?

You should be able to so long as you physically don't beat it up to much (you have a hdd not an ssd) and so long as the battery gets nice big charge cycles. Just dont leave it plugged in 24/7 all the time let the battery do it's thing and you'll get lots of millage out of it

Hello, I recently decided to buy a gaming laptop as I couldn't really justify spending enough cash in computers to have a laptop and a proper PC separately. I ended up buying an Asus ROG GL553VD, apparently a "budget" laptop, and while I'm happy with it so far I have two questions about it.

The first question is about temperatures. What are the normal operating temperatures for a gaming laptop of this kind? Playing TES Skyrim at 1080p max I've found the CPU to normally heat up at 75 or even 80°c in some parts of the map, despite it being a relatively old game. The same happens with CS:GO with the frame limiter at 120fps, despite CS:GO also being relatively old. Are these temperatures normal for a gaming laptop? They seemed a bit too high to me. Would it be wise to limit the framerate to 60 to have lower temperatures? I'd like this computer to last me as long as it can.

As for the second question, what are the dangers of updating the BIOS? Will this mess with my warranty? I've seen there's a new 3.0.8 bios available for the GL553VD, the one I have has 3.0.6. Would it even be worth the risk upgrading it?

I have a version with a i7-7700HQ, GTX 1050 and 12gb of ram, no ssd, only a 1tb HGST hdd. I was unable to find this exact configuration on any online review, so it might be a regional version only sold in south america.

Thanks for your help beforehand.

Just now, Markski said:

Are these temperatures normal for a gaming laptop?

yep

1 minute ago, Markski said:

I'd like this computer to last me as long as it can.

laptops are inherently made to live short lives. with lower end proprietary hardware cramed into a tiny frame and non standard batteries and other cheaply made componenets they typically just aren't made to be fixed and used for more than a few years

2 minutes ago, Markski said:

Would it even be worth the risk upgrading it?

unless you're having an issue the bios updates specifically addresses then leave the bios alone.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

laptops are inherently made to live short lives. with lower end proprietary hardware cramed into a tiny frame and non standard batteries and other cheaply made componenets they typically just aren't made to be fixed and used for more than a few years

I will be very happy if I can get at least 3 years out of this machine. Does that sound feasible for this machine?

5 minutes ago, Markski said:

You should be able to so long as you physically don't beat it up to much (you have a hdd not an ssd) and so long as the battery gets nice big charge cycles. Just dont leave it plugged in 24/7 all the time let the battery do it's thing and you'll get lots of millage out of it