NBN Voip phone question (yes very Australian)

Darkclone

Hi All,

So NBN is now installed in my area (Australia's crap new "state of the art" 100mbps internet system) and as a part of swapping across to it I have to ditch my old analogue phone as only VOIP is usable on the new network. However being a gamer I like to have my model close to my PC but don't want to have to connect my home phone to the modem in my computer room. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I can get around this?

Telstra (one of Australia's big internet providers) offers a product they call the Telstra Voice Extender https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TVE-User-Guide-Final.pdf and this works by connecting your phone wirelessly to your telstra modem, however I am not using telstra for my internet and phone and instead will be using iinet.

Also ideally I don't want to plug the existing wireless phone into the router and leave the handset in the kitchen as my partner always loses the phone.

The modem router provided by iinet is the tp-link Archer VR1600v https://www.tp-link.com/au/service-provider/xdsl/archer-vr1600v/

Does anyone know of any other options that work like the telstra voice extender that will work with my modem? Or is there some other style of adapter like one of the range extender powerpoint adapters that supports voip or do I need to buy a wifi enabled voip phone that only needs to be connected to a powerpoint and to the wifi? Or are there any better suggestions? Oh and preferably not too expensive as I am a university student

Thanks heaps for any help,

Darkclone :)

1 hour ago, Darkclone said:

So NBN is now installed in my area (Australia's crap new "state of the art" 100mbps internet system)

Wait? You're actually getting the full 100mbps? Lucky!!

1 hour ago, Darkclone said:

However being a gamer I like to have my model close to my PC but don't want to have to connect my home phone to the modem in my computer room. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I can get around this?

Just run an ethernet cable from the modem to the phone. Presumably there's already a cable in the wall going to where the phone is for the existing phone line?
Or have the modem near the phone and run ethernet to the PC. Whichever is easiest depending on how the house is wired.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thanks for the reply, the issue with cables is that my disabled mother in law lives with me and the way the house is setup I would only be able to run the cable on the floor. NDIS already growled at me for having done so in the past and the way the house is setup the only other way I could do it would be to tape a cable to the wall and I dont want to do that haha.

21 hours ago, Darkclone said:

I have to ditch my old analogue phone as only VOIP is usable on the new network.

Thats wrong, you plug the analogue phone into the new modem as the router does the voip translation.

Thanks TrigH.

Anyone know if I can plug a powerline adapter in and have one end plugged into the voip port on the router and the other end into the phone (have 1 voip compatible phone in the house (and one analogue))