Low Maintenance Timelapse Camera

FakeNSA

Hello yall!

I have recently been asked by a friend of mine about what kind of camera he should use to timelapse a house build. It would need to take about one photo per minute, for a week straight. Is this something that a go-pro can do if it is connected to AC power? Specifically, I am asking if it offers that framerate and if it will operate for that long, or if it will overheat. Thanks!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Does it need to be video straight out of camera? If not - and your friend has a dslr of pretty much any kind - get a DC-Adapter for said camera, hook it up to a power outlet and have him buy a cheap intervalometer that will let him shoot a photo/minute :)

12 minutes ago, historicalpoultry said:

Does it need to be video straight out of camera? If not - and your friend has a dslr of pretty much any kind - get a DC-Adapter for said camera, hook it up to a power outlet and have him buy a cheap intervalometer that will let him shoot a photo/minute :)

no, it doesn’t need to be video, as I can use resolve to turn it into video. The problem is, we don’t have a dslr, and the weather there is probably too unpredictable to leave one outside anyway. 

GoPro's have a built in time lapse mode and should work for what you described. As long as there is power and room on the memory card it will keep going as far as I'm aware.

11 hours ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

no, it doesn’t need to be video, as I can use resolve to turn it into video. The problem is, we don’t have a dslr, and the weather there is probably too unpredictable to leave one outside anyway. 

I think your best option is to get a DSLR, hook it up to an external power source either via USB or via a false battery, and get an intervalometer (if the camera doesn't have one already), and use that.

You can cover the camera and lens with a plastic cover or bag, and leave a hole around the front of the lens to weather proof it; there are also plastic rain covers you can also use as well.

28 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

I think your best option is to get a DSLR, hook it up to an external power source either via USB or via a false battery, and get an intervalometer (if the camera doesn't have one already), and use that.

You can cover the camera and lens with a plastic cover or bag, and leave a hole around the front of the lens to weather proof it; there are also plastic rain covers you can also use as well.

Appreciate the advice! I will pass that along. 

5 hours ago, harryk said:

GoPro's have a built in time lapse mode and should work for what you described. As long as there is power and room on the memory card it will keep going as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the confirmation! I will look into that as well as a dslr. Have a great night!