Raid 0 Or Not ??

Winther

Hey guys!

I have hardware coming for my upcoming home server. I have mainly large video files on my drives. My question is if I should use my 2x3TB WD Red drives in raid 0, I also have 2x2TB WD RE4 drives that im considering raid 0'ing. This will be software raid, done by the motherboard.

Redundancy is not really of concern here, speed is, but I dont really know if its needed for my usage scenario.

(Comming soon)

They're enterprise grade drives. I don't expect them to fail (unless you're really unlucky). Backup the really important stuff, and RAID 0 them! I would recommend getting  RAID card (expensive!) as software RAID can be slow, but I'm not sure whether this applies to a couple of RAID 0 set-ups.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I would not because your going to be limited on preformance by your network rather then the drives and if its just for videos don't bother with RAID 0. I hope you don't put family pictures or videos on a RAID 0.

All the data that would be put on the drives would not be important to me, just storage.

But I think I will just raid alone and use them without.

(Comming soon)

It's a home server, I don't see why you want to Raid 0 it. You're going to be limited to the network speed when you transfer files back and forth.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I would also note that raid 0 isn't worth the hassle when one hard drive fails, but I agree with everyone else that network would limit your raid 0 performance.

No no no no no no don't do raid 0.

You may not think redundancy is an issue but when a drive goes out, and you loose ALL your data, you're going to wish you had gone with raid 1/5. And trust me, a drive will die at some point. There is no situation at any time ever where you should be implementing raid 0 unless you have the data backed up in another location. Basically raid 0 is a ticking time bomb. Furthermore, unless you have a home network that's faster than 1gigabit, you're not going to be able to take advantage of anything greater than the speed of somewhat slow drive. 

They're enterprise grade drives. I don't expect them to fail (unless you're really unlucky). Backup the really important stuff, and RAID 0 them! I would recommend getting  RAID card (expensive!) as software RAID can be slow, but I'm not sure whether this applies to a couple of RAID 0 set-ups.

Also, @nishank93, I don't mean to be disrespectful but a lot of this is misinformation. Just because a drive is labeled "enterprise" doesn't mean it won't fail. Enterprise drives are more reliable, but they're not a silver bullet by any means. They extra money you're paying for them is really just for enterprise level support as well as a few enterprise features (TLER / ERC) that are starting to show up on consumer drives anyway.

Furthermore, you don't need a raid card for the lower raid levels (0/1), particularly when you're only using a few drives, as raid 0 and 1 are not computationally intensive at all, especially when you're only using 2 or 3 drives. Only when you're using raid with parity (raid 5 and especially raid 6) should you really be using a dedicated controller, and even then, raid 5 can be handled just fine with onboard raid unless you want to use a lot of drives.

Your best options are probably:

A: A raid 1 virtual drive made up of two matching drives (the reds would be more than sufficient)

B: get a third WD red and make a raid 5 virtual drive (or do this with the enterprise drives, though personally I think that's a bit of a waste of money)

C: Use all four drives with something like flexRAID with single parity to get the maximum capacity out of the whole array.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Also, @nishank93, I don't mean to be disrespectful but a lot of this is misinformation. Just because a drive is labeled "enterprise" doesn't mean it won't fail. Enterprise drives are more reliable, but they're not a silver bullet by any means. They extra money you're paying for them is really just for enterprise level support as well as a few enterprise features (TLER / ERC) that are starting to show up on consumer drive anyway.

I didn't mean to say they will not fail, I meant they are less likely (they have hardware level changes that, as you said, make them more reliable). I apologise to anyone who read that as they cannot fail.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I didn't mean to say they will not fail, I meant they are less likely (they have hardware level changes that, as you said, make them more reliable). I apologise to anyone who read that as they cannot fail.

It's all good :P I just wanted to make sure OP or anyone else reading this understood that.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial