Building a Developers/Gaming PC

nothingasis

Hello everyone!

I was hoping I could get your comments on my list of parts for a new build.

Nothing has been purchased yet.

Willing to wait 'til Black Friday if I know there will be sales on the higher prices items.

My BIG FOCUS is on TEMPS. I'm not a big fan of noise, but I don't mind it as much I do temps.

The 280x supports a 150mm cpu cooler, so I went with the scythe fuma rev b.

Needed the clearance so I'm hoping I'll get that with the vengeance LPX non rgb.

And a 2080 super card, I don't mind which one I go for so long as the fans are quiet and keeps the card cool.

I plan to run vms, but not very often. A'm a full stack developer doing web and mobile.

Running dual S2716DGR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type
Item
Price
CPU
$328.90 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler
-
Motherboard
$165.89 @ OutletPC
Memory
$85.99 @ Amazon
Storage
$148.48 @ Amazon
Video Card
$683.98 @ Newegg
Case
$115.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply
$119.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts

Total (before mail-in rebates)
$1709.21

Mail-in rebates
-$60.00

Total
$1649.21

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-07 01:38 EDT-0400

do you have a budget in mind? or are you lucky to not be constrained by that

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I'm blessed to have a career that pays well and more.

What did you have in mind?

That SSD seems like overkill personally unless you're doing heavy video editing or something.  You can get cheaper drives in larger capacities without sacrificing any meaningful amount of durability (again, unless you're a super heavy user), and without even sacrificing speed either, though if you did you probably wouldn't notice that either.

As for CPU, if you can afford it, 3900x is of course better and soon there will be the 3950x, but other than that it seems like a good setup.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Welcome to the forum.

If you're going to be developing and running VM's from time to time it you might want to look into 32GB ram just for some extra headroom. Unless you know your workload only sucks up <10GB and will remain that way in the future, the 16GB can get quite saturated from a few chrome tabs, SDK, and 2+ VMs.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Glad to be a member!

970 Pro seemed just like a safe goto, and if PCIE Gen 4 gives us any real improvements in the future I'll replace it and use the 970 in my laptop.

I considered the 3900x as well but the benchmarks didnt look like a good justification for the cost.

My workload pretty much peaks at 10-12GB. but maybe if I did run more VM upgrading to 32gb now helps.

Thanks for the help!

3 minutes ago, nothingasis said:

Glad to be a member!

970 Pro seemed just like a safe goto, and if PCIE Gen 4 gives us any real improvements in the future I'll replace it and use the 970 in my laptop.

I considered the 3900x as well but the benchmarks didnt look like a good justification for the cost.

My workload pretty much peaks at 10-12GB. but maybe if I did run more VM upgrading to 32gb now helps.

Thanks for the help!

Remember to quote members in the future so they get notified about your responses.

Unfortunately RAM usage is going up and not down, so if you want your build to be a little more "future proofed", the 32GB might be the better option. It does sound like 16GB would be enough for now though.

~Air Cooling Advocate~