Is Freesync working properly?

Go to solution Solved by MkaiL,

Freesync does not limit your fps, vsync does. Freesync/gsync simply matches the monitor hz to the fps you're getting within a certain range. Max freesync range = max hz of your monitor!

Since your monitor only goes up to 75hz, freesync will only work up to 75fps. Anything above and you'll get tearing again and wouldn't benefit you anyways since your monitor can't display above 75hz. If you dip below 75hz, freesync will kick in and the monitor will match the fps so you don't get tearing (unless you go below the min. range).

CPU: i5 4460

GPU: MSI Armor RX 570 4GB OC

RAM: 16 GB dual channel

Storage: 160 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD combo

PSU: BeQuiet! Systen Power U9 500W

Windows 10 Pro 1903
Driver Radeon Adrenalin version 19.9.2

Monitor: AOC 24V2H 1080p 75Hz (Freesync compatible)

I/O: HDMI (monitor has no Display Port)
I've played a buch of tittles and eventhough Freesync is activated in every setting I could find, I think is not working. As far as I understand: Freesync makes the monitor and the GPU work at the same phase. Example: Monitor works at 75Hz, GPU sends 75FPS if possible. However, it doesn't seem to be the case with my system. In Gears of War 5, I can clearly see some screen tearing in the cinematics, only cinematics,and the FPS counter says I'm above 75 FPS. Is there something I'm missing here? There's no setting on the monitor itself to turn freesync off/on

Captura de pantalla (5).png

Captura de pantalla (6).png

Can you please highlight the issue in the images, I cant see it.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 minute ago, NineEyeRon said:

Can you please highlight the issue in the images, I cant see it.

As far as I understand. There should be 75 FPS because the monitor is 75 Hz. Isn't that how it works? I'll try to get some pics of the screen tearing issue right now

Freesync does not limit your fps, vsync does. Freesync/gsync simply matches the monitor hz to the fps you're getting within a certain range. Max freesync range = max hz of your monitor!

Since your monitor only goes up to 75hz, freesync will only work up to 75fps. Anything above and you'll get tearing again and wouldn't benefit you anyways since your monitor can't display above 75hz. If you dip below 75hz, freesync will kick in and the monitor will match the fps so you don't get tearing (unless you go below the min. range).

4 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

Thank you very much! I don't know why the don't explain this here https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync
I've seem several videos and even some googling and none of them mentioned this information.

Basically I need to set an FPS cap within the game itself.

7 minutes ago, joser1813 said:

Basically I need to set an FPS cap within the game itself.

Yes, limiting your fps to the max refresh rate of your monitor should get rid of the tearing. Most games allow you to cap it within the setting or use vsync (which can cause input lag). Since you use an amd card, you can also use a frame limiter like amd's FRTC. 

Another thing to note, freesync is actually disabled when you reach the refresh rate of your monitor since they are matched already, which in some cases can still cause tearing. Most people usually limit their fps 1 or 2 lower (so 73-74fps) so freesync is always enabled.