New PC won't boot from SSD

ReinTurtle

Hello,

I am building a new pc with a Ryzen 2600, ASRock B450m pro4 (with UEFI version P3.30) and Crucial MX500 2,5" SSD. I installed windows 10 on the SSD wih a USB install medium. The installation went fine and the windows files are definitely on the SSD (I used GPT if that's relevant). However the only boot option my motherboard sees is the USB (or nothing if it's not plugged in).

It's not that my mobo doesn't detect the SSD at all, because it is available under the security tab to configure a password etc. When I connect the HDD from my old pc, it can boot windows from that. I can also use the SSD in that windows install. I even tried my old motherboard, which gives the same results. I can't find any other options to try in the BIOS and I looked at a lot of other forums, but didn't find a fix. I'm at a loss what to do next. Any ideas are welcome.

Rein

10 minutes ago, ReinTurtle said:

Hello,

I am building a new pc with a Ryzen 2600, ASRock B450m pro4 (with UEFI version P3.30) and Crucial MX500 2,5" SSD. I installed windows 10 on the SSD wih a USB install medium. The installation went fine and the windows files are definitely on the SSD (I used GPT if that's relevant). However the only boot option my motherboard sees is the USB (or nothing if it's not plugged in).

It's not that my mobo doesn't detect the SSD at all, because it is available under the security tab to configure a password etc. When I connect the HDD from my old pc, it can boot windows from that. I can also use the SSD in that windows install. I even tried my old motherboard, which gives the same results. I can't find any other options to try in the BIOS and I looked at a lot of other forums, but didn't find a fix. I'm at a loss what to do next. Any ideas are welcome.

Rein

ok lets breath in and out for a second. welcome to pc troubleshooting. you are not alone. try the ssd in all the sata ports and make sure the connection is good on both ends. also make sure your sata power is in securely and maybe try a few others coming off the PSU. Next try updating your bios if possible. If that doesn't work install windows again with only the SSD and NO HARD DRIVES OR OTHER DRIVES except the usb with windows attached. Make sure you hold down the "C" key on boot to boot from removable media for best results. If after all this its still not working let us know.   

56 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

ok lets breath in and out for a second. welcome to pc troubleshooting. you are not alone. try the ssd in all the sata ports and make sure the connection is good on both ends. also make sure your sata power is in securely and maybe try a few others coming off the PSU. Next try updating your bios if possible. If that doesn't work install windows again with only the SSD and NO HARD DRIVES OR OTHER DRIVES except the usb with windows attached. Make sure you hold down the "C" key on boot to boot from removable media for best results. If after all this its still not working let us know.   

I did all of that, and nothing changed except one thing (or I didn't notice it before). I couldn't install windows on the SSD when I had CSM enabled in the BIOS, so I disabled it. When I enable it again after the installation, though, I do get the ssd as a boot option. Buuuuut, then I boot from the SSD and my screen reads "Reboot and select a proper Boot device". Does this mean anything? And should I have CSM enabled or disabled, anyway?

2 minutes ago, ReinTurtle said:

I did all of that, and nothing changed except one thing (or I didn't notice it before). I couldn't install windows on the SSD when I had CSM enabled in the BIOS, so I disabled it. When I enable it again after the installation, though, I do get the ssd as a boot option. Buuuuut, then I boot from the SSD and my screen reads "Reboot and select a proper Boot device". Does this mean anything? And should I have CSM enabled or disabled, anyway?

I think your best course of action (unfortunately) is to format the USB stick and remake the bootable usb. Occasionally bootable USBs will come out wrong which can mess with your install. Also are you doing a custom install of any kind or just the recommended install? 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

5 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

I think your best course of action (unfortunately) is to format the USB stick and remake the bootable usb. Occasionally bootable USBs will come out wrong which can mess with your install. Also are you doing a custom install of any kind or just the recommended install? 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

I have actually tried this on my old motherboard with a different bootable USB and I had the exact same issue. I did not change any settings in the windows install, but I don't believe there were any. But I could remake that USB anyway. (I actually bouht the SSD first and then the rest of my new pc)

1 minute ago, ReinTurtle said:

I have actually tried this on my old motherboard with a different bootable USB and I had the exact same issue. I did not change any settings in the windows install, but I don't believe there were any. But I could remake that USB anyway.

Really? That is really strange. I think something might be wrong with this SSD. I am thinking maybe a faulty controller/dram chip or something. Things do slip through QA even in the best factories. Is it new? can it still be sent in for replacement?  

Just now, doomsriker said:

Really? That is really strange. I think something might be wrong with this SSD. I am thinking maybe a faulty controller/dram chip or something. Things do slip through QA even in the best factories. Is it new? can it still be sent in for replacement?  

It is a few months old and I bought it new. But is it even possible that the SSD is good enough to use as an extra drive (next to os drive), but not as a boot drive?

2 minutes ago, ReinTurtle said:

It is a few months old and I bought it new. But is it even possible that the SSD is good enough to use as an extra drive (next to os drive), but not as a boot drive?

Yes. running an OS is much more intensive and can bring out flaws in faulty drive hardware that might not otherwise be seen. 

23 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Yes. running an OS is much more intensive and can bring out flaws in faulty drive hardware that might not otherwise be seen. 

I suppose I will try to convince the store I bought it from that there is something wrong. Thanks a lot for your help!

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2019 at 1:41 PM, doomsriker said:

I finally got the new the SSD and had a super easy windows install... I was not confident enough in my abilities to be able to blame the SSD, so thanks again for your help!