First mecha keyboard choice

IlNerdChuck

Hi I'm looking to switch from my old membrane logitech mk 270, it is showing it's age and I really want to give a try to a mecha one. Mostly I use it for fps gaming and typing. I've searched on internet and in local stores to try the feeling of what they got and I fell in love with the razer ornata chroma, but after I figure out that is a membrane one in the end, and it only uses the "mecha switch" to give the feeling of it, I I get correct?

So I keep in the list the ornata chroma but I want to try a only mecha one, so I figured out what I'm really searching for. It has to have at least these features: 

Low profile keys (not the flat ones I don't remember the name, razer calls the mid-height the ornata chroma keycaps), I really like it from the mk270, I don't know maybe I can fell in love even if it as regular one's, is only that I'm confotable with the mk270 but I can get used to regular keycaps

A good switch feedback, both for gaming and typing, if I've got it right the brown one's are good for the porpuse 

A low mid budget, I'm in Italy and currently, for example, I can get a ornata chroma for 90$, so a 100 130 budget is the range I'm looking for

I live in Italy but if I can get a US layout, sometimes it cost more here and idk why

On the optional side

Portable, I am a university student and I travel a lot from my university house to my parent's and I have 2 rig's, so a budget friendly solution is to get only one XD,  I carry the mk270 for now

A logitech one only for RGB SYNCRO (lol) with my g502 mouse. 

I'm looking for offers on the logitech one's that linus reviewed becouse I really like the lean look of them, but i'm stuck for the low profile switches  of the ornata chroma, in the stores that I've visited the only sell razer, hp and some logitech but not mecha, so I'm up to you guys the best of the best, I'm a newbie in self thought mecha keyboards, but a master in linus videos, so feel free to correct me in some terms or switch or anything (also English if I wrote something wrong ahhaah sry) 

I use a varmillo x ducky sakura, very nice keyboard

28 minutes ago, IlNerdChuck said:

I fell in love with the razer ornata chroma, but after I figure out that is a membrane one in the end, and it only uses the "mecha switch" to give the feeling of it, I I get correct?

The Razer Ornata Chroma uses what's called 'mecha-membrane' switches which have the feel of mechanical keyswitches whilst still using rubber domes at the core. While it might be able to replicate the feel of a mechanical keyswitch, it's not by any means the full experience of a mechanical keyswitch.

29 minutes ago, IlNerdChuck said:

Low profile keys (not the flat ones I don't remember the name, razer calls the mid-height the ornata chroma keycaps), I really like it from the mk270, I don't know maybe I can fell in love even if it as regular one's, is only that I'm confotable with the mk270 but I can get used to regular keycaps

A good switch feedback, both for gaming and typing, if I've got it right the brown one's are good for the porpuse 

A low mid budget, I'm in Italy and currently, for example, I can get a ornata chroma for 90$, so a 100 130 budget is the range I'm looking for

I live in Italy but if I can get a US layout, sometimes it cost more here and idk why

You have a lot of criteria you're looking for, especially with the low profile keys, which I assume you mean keyswitches, else if you meant keycaps, you are able to easily swap out keycaps for something like DSA or OEM profiles which are lower than traditional Cherry profile keycaps.

The closest I could personally find is the Cooler Master SK630 and SK650 which are low-profile keyboards and fit your budget.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

If you want a low profile mech, anything with Kailh chocs switches would probably be the way to go. Something like a Hexgears X-1 maybe

On 10/4/2019 at 2:46 PM, sowon said:

You have a lot of criteria you're looking for, especially with the low profile keys, which I assume you mean keyswitches, else if you meant keycaps, you are able to easily swap out keycaps for something like DSA or OEM profiles which are lower than traditional Cherry profile keycaps.

Yup i mean low profile keycaps sorry

For the two corsair's keyboards you told me, i don't really like keycaps flat like that but i will search for them and try both. If i get rid of the "Low profile keycaps" are any best choice on the market?

3 hours ago, IlNerdChuck said:

For the two corsair's keyboards you told me, i don't really like keycaps flat like that but i will search for them and try both. If i get rid of the "Low profile keycaps" are any best choice on the market?

Are you in this just looking for a low-profile keyboard in general with standard height switches? In essence, looking for a keyboard that is as thin as you are comfortable with?

I'm not too versed in recommending keyboards based off height, but in terms of keycaps, you don't need to be fixed to whatever keycap your new keyboard is given to you, as mentioned before you can choose DSA or OEM profile keycaps which will be lower than traditional Cherry profile keycaps.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:11 AM, IlNerdChuck said:

I've searched on internet and in local stores to try the feeling of what they got and I fell in love with the razer ornata chroma, but after I figure out that is a membrane one in the end, and it only uses the "mecha switch" to give the feeling of it,

Having used a Razer Ornata Chroma in the past, I can tell you that the switches on that keyboard have way too much travel (in my opinion) and they felt wobbly for some reason. The RGB lighting was pretty cool and the wrist rest was quite comfortable, but I'd stay away from that keyboard because it just doesn't feel like a true mechanical keyboard.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

10 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

Having used a Razer Ornata Chroma in the past, I can tell you that the switches on that keyboard have way too much travel (in my opinion) and they felt wobbly for some reason. The RGB lighting was pretty cool and the wrist rest was quite comfortable, but I'd stay away from that keyboard because it just doesn't feel like a true mechanical keyboard.

Thanks, this is really helpfoul, lifesaver ahahah.

11 hours ago, sowon said:

Are you in this just looking for a low-profile keyboard in general with standard height switches? In essence, looking for a keyboard that is as thin as you are comfortable with?

Oh nono not the keyboard height, the keycaps one. The Keyboard can be wathever it is for me the important thing is the keycap. If i get correct i can choose whatever keyboard and then switch the keycaps after? Sry if i explained wrong.

This is what i was talking about

Cattura.PNG.ecdda51ad733c2fd2687fda1dbec7ca5.PNG

But if there is a bettter choice on the market for starters without the "mid height" keycaps i will also consider it.

Searching on the internet for switch comparison i found that i may prefer brown's one so i might go for them.

1 hour ago, IlNerdChuck said:

Oh nono not the keyboard height, the keycaps one. The Keyboard can be wathever it is for me the important thing is the keycap. If i get correct i can choose whatever keyboard and then switch the keycaps after? Sry if i explained wrong.

This is what i was talking about

Why do you care so much about the keycaps being short...?

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why do you care so much about the keycaps being short...?

Maybe he believes in razer marketing crap that shorter caps makes keyboard "faster" on some way? They market it that way.

1 hour ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Maybe he believes in razer marketing crap that shorter caps makes keyboard "faster" on some way? They market it that way.

Nope i like more compared to the normal one that's all, nothing special only feeling

7 minutes ago, IlNerdChuck said:

Nope i like more compared to the normal one that's all, nothing special only feeling

Maybe this one then : https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07N4L8T6C

or this one : https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Sk-650-Gklr1-US-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07N4DFPNM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A1A9CXARNPMPGZ06FRH6

@sowon So at least giving away the "low profile keycaps", any good keyboard with brown switches?

1 hour ago, IlNerdChuck said:

@sowon So at least giving away the "low profile keycaps", any good keyboard with brown switches?

If you omit the low-profile keycaps, you now have a wide range of keyboards to choose from - you can always change out keycaps later if you'd like, remember.

Ducky One 2 Mini is probably the go-to recommendation, I'm not sure how much it is at the moment for you though.