4TB Seagate SkyHawk or 4TB Seagate Barracuda for desktop use?

ChemistZombie
Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

Barracuda.  As you mentioned, the Skyhawk is more geared towards surveillance use.  It's great at writing, not so much at reading.  The latter is kinda important for desktop use. 

@seagate_surfer  will probably be able to explain the details a lot better than I could.

21 minutes ago, ChemistZombie said:

Originally I wanted to get a 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM since, well, it's got 7200RPM, but none of the stores here have it in stock for some reason (perhaps they stopped shipping them here?)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of the (very) bad reputation that these drives got back in 2011-2014.  Even if the modern 3TB Barracudas have different internals than the ST3000DM001 of back in the day, the name is tainted. 

So I'm currently looking for a new hard drive to replace my 2TB WD Blue that's failing on me, and I found these two drives that attracted my attention.

Originally I wanted to get a 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM since, well, it's got 7200RPM, but none of the stores here have it in stock for some reason (perhaps they stopped shipping them here?) so I'm stuck with either a 4TB Seagate Barracuda or a 4TB Seagate SkyHawk.

The drive will be used mainly for game storage. Note that I already have an SSD but it only has 120GB of space, which isn't that great. Also, WD drives are out of the question because they're too expensive here.

Now I know you might think that putting in a SkyHawk hard drive, which was supposed to be a surveillance drive, into a regular desktop, is quite a silly idea, but here's the thing: the SkyHawk is a tiny bit cheaper here for some reason at only $110 (IDR-USD conversion), as opposed to Barracuda's $112 price tag. Also, the SkyHawk has 5900RPM and 3-year warranty but only has 64MB of cache whereas the Barracuda only has 5400RPM and 2-year warranty, but has more cache at 256MB. WD drives are out of the question since the 4TB Blue drives are only rated at 5400RPM, has only 64MB cache and 2-year warranty while having a very little price difference at $108, and none of the Black drives are in stock here for whatever reason, just like the 7200RPM Seagate drives.

Ignoring the fact that it's a surveillance drive, should I just get the SkyHawk instead of Barracuda? I mean it's better in almost every aspect but the cache. And would the 256MB cache in the Barracuda help me in any way for gaming?

PC: X5650 | Zotac GTX 1080 Mini | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 CL10 | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Seagate SkyHawk 4TB | NZXT H510 (broken side panel 💀)

Laptop: POS Acer Swift 3 SF314-54G w/broken plastics, bottom case and hinges 😔 Probably the worst laptop I've ever had | i3-7020U | MX150 2GB | 2x4GB DDR4-2400 (mix & match) | Samsung 970 Evo 250GB | WD Blue 1TB

Phones I've used: Xperia L (2013 - Feb 2016, broken) | Galaxy J1 Ace (2016 - 2017, sold) | OnePlus One (2017 - Aug 2018, broken) | Redmi Note 4 (2018 - Apr 2021, unused) | Galaxy Note FE (2021 - present, backup phone) | Galaxy S10+ (2023 - present)

Used hardware connoisseur, amateur DnB producer.

Skyhawks aren't for desktop use, and yes, cache does make a difference when reading a lot of small files. I'd just get the barracuda.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Barracuda.  As you mentioned, the Skyhawk is more geared towards surveillance use.  It's great at writing, not so much at reading.  The latter is kinda important for desktop use. 

@seagate_surfer  will probably be able to explain the details a lot better than I could.

21 minutes ago, ChemistZombie said:

Originally I wanted to get a 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM since, well, it's got 7200RPM, but none of the stores here have it in stock for some reason (perhaps they stopped shipping them here?)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's because of the (very) bad reputation that these drives got back in 2011-2014.  Even if the modern 3TB Barracudas have different internals than the ST3000DM001 of back in the day, the name is tainted. 

I have purchased a SkyHawk by mistake it caused me a huge windows boot delay and program launching and game loading times.

Please don't buy a skyhawk get a Barracuda pro

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Interesting. I thought the only things that would affect a drive performance are RPM and cache. So this means that even if the Skyhawk has 5900RPM, it still suffers from some performance penalty due to its less cache and firmware, right?

PC: X5650 | Zotac GTX 1080 Mini | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 CL10 | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Seagate SkyHawk 4TB | NZXT H510 (broken side panel 💀)

Laptop: POS Acer Swift 3 SF314-54G w/broken plastics, bottom case and hinges 😔 Probably the worst laptop I've ever had | i3-7020U | MX150 2GB | 2x4GB DDR4-2400 (mix & match) | Samsung 970 Evo 250GB | WD Blue 1TB

Phones I've used: Xperia L (2013 - Feb 2016, broken) | Galaxy J1 Ace (2016 - 2017, sold) | OnePlus One (2017 - Aug 2018, broken) | Redmi Note 4 (2018 - Apr 2021, unused) | Galaxy Note FE (2021 - present, backup phone) | Galaxy S10+ (2023 - present)

Used hardware connoisseur, amateur DnB producer.

I am just gonna paste a post I just did about these 2 drives and the only thing I am gonna add is that the basic BarraCuda is focused to work on computers that are needed only 5 days a week (Monday to friday) and will stay on working 8 hours a day, but the SkyHawk can stay on 24/7, 365 days a year (And so the Pro version of BarraCuda), with that said I'll let you read what I posted earlier:

Man, doing a quick overview I can easily tell you to get the BarraCuda Pro, it has 5 years warranty and 5 is better than 3, plus the Nonrecoverable Read Errors rate is 1 per 10E15, this is a better number than 1 per 10E14: 

SkyHawk ST4000VX007   BarraCuda Pro ST4000DM006
Specifications 4TB   Specifications 4TB
Standard Model Numbers1 ST4000VX007   Standard Model Numbers ST4000DM006
SkyHawk™  Health Management Included Yes   Bytes per Sector 512
Interface SATA 6Gb/s   Performance
Features and Performance   Interface SATA 6Gb/s
Drive Bays Supported Up to 16   SATA Transfer Rates Supported (Gb/s) 6.0/3.0/1.5
Cameras Supported Up to 64   Max. Sustained Transfer Rate OD (MB/s) 220MB/s
RV Sensors Yes   Cache, Multisegmented (MB) 128
Max. Sustained Transfer Rate OD (MB/s) 190MB/s   Reliability/Data Integrity
Cache (MB) 64   Load/Unload Cycles 300,000
Reliability/Data Integrity   Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read, Max 1 per 10E15
Tarnish Resistant Yes   Power-On Hours per Year (24×7) 8760
Load/Unload Cycles 300,000   Data Recovery and Rescue Services Yes
Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read, Max 1 per 10E14   Workload Rate Limit (TB/year)1 300
Power-On Hours per Year (24×7) 8760   Limited Warranty (years) 5
Workload Rate Limit (WRL)2 180   Power Management
MTBF 1,000,000hr   Startup Power (A) 2.0
Warranty, Limited (years)3 3   Operating Mode, Typical (W) 6.7
Power Management   Idle Average (W) 6.0W
Startup Current, Typical (12V, A) 1.8   Standby Mode/Sleep Mode, Typical (W) 0.6/0.6
Average Operating Power (W) 5.5W   Environmental/Temperature
Idle Average (W) 3.2W   Operating (ambient, min) 0°C
Standby Mode/Sleep Mode, Typical (W) 0.25/0.25   Operating (drive case, max) 60°C
Voltage Tolerance (5V) ±5%   Nonoperating (ambient) -40°C – 70°C
Voltage Tolerance (12V) ±10%   Halogen Free Yes
Environmental/Temperature   RoHS Compliance Yes
Operating (ambient, min °C) 0   Physical
Operating (drive case, max °C)4 70   Height (mm/in, max) 26.1mm/1.028in
Nonoperating (ambient, min °C) -40   Width (mm/in, max) 101.85mm/4.010in
Physical   Depth (mm/in, max) 146.99mm/5.787in
Height (mm/in, max) 26.11mm/1.028in   Weight (g/lb) 680g/1.50lb
Width (mm/in, max) 101.85mm/4.01in   Carton Unit Quantity 20
Depth (mm/in, max) 146.99mm/5.787in   Cartons per Pallet/Cartons per Layer 40 / 8
Weight (g/lb) 635g/1.40lb      
Carton Unit Quantity 20      
Cartons per Pallet/Cartons per Layer 40/8      

Now with that said, I'd like to talk a little abou the SkyHawk and its features, the resolution is something that matters on surveillance systems and the SkyHawk is optmized for that, it uses our ImagePerfect™ firmware to ensure crystal clear HD video and zero dropped frames, while recording, while streaming up to 64 HD video cameras to help prevent freeze frames during live playback and It’s also optimized for 24/7 workloads (Like the BarraCuda Pro). The problem of loss of frames, or that the video is stuck or cut may be because they are not using the correct HDD technology, Zero Frame Lost Performance is something you want when you want to know who stole your cookies! ?

The SkyHawk also has on-board rotational vibration (RV) sensors., this optmizes it for multi-bay surveillance systems and help reduce failures caused by the vibration from a neighboring HDD or chassis fan, more of ImagePerfect™ here: image-perfect-smart-safe-solution-cb4-tp694-1-1701us.pdf

Resultado de imagen para RV sensors built in

Those features and the Seagate® SkyHawk™ Health Management (SHM) interface make it a better choice than the BarraCuda when it comes to better chances to get better pixels while streaming and recording, it also goes beyond to what S.M.A.R.T. details can detect to be very precise and consistent on data monitoring but the SHM embedded drive monitoring software is designed for systems with Hikvision 4.0 OS, Digital Watchdog, Dahua, Tiandy, Uniview and you don't have none of those, do you? More of SHM here: https://branding.seagate.com/content/f2bc8003-2d6e-47b4-8300-c5217bd5b49b/?attach=false&language=cn,us&url=/documentpreview/564ef373-61a7-4ae3-87fe-97fdd988cbd7

So, it is not a perfomance/speed topic because they are different type of products so each one fits into its own category or that only the warranty thing on the SkyHawk vs the BarraCuda Pro makes one better than the other, although the SkyHawk is optimized for large workdays and heavy video workloads, it is just that you are not gonna use the features SkyHawk offers like the ImagePerfect™, SHM and RV sensors.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming