More Performance/Dollar or a better System all around?

adm0n

Hello,

I'm helping a friend build a system (located in germany). Right now he is mainly playing LoL, Total War and AoE2, but he might be a bit limited by his current setup. He'll use is computer mainly for gaming, Maybe a bit of programming, but nothing heavy.

He found a website (https://www.hardwaredealz.com/bester-gaming-pc-fuer-unter-1000-euro-gamer-pc-bis-1000-euro), which recommends a heavily performance per dollar oriented system build. While spending 1000€ and getting a 2070 super is awesome, there are a lot of compromises as well. Rebuild in PCpartpicker

The total, if you buy at the right places, would be 1004€ (not 1030€)

I would rather invest a bit more in other components and came up with the following build, which shuffels the 100€ of savings for the GPU into other components.

The 2060 Super could also be replaced by a radeon 5700 (XT) depend on his preferences. The case is also not the best, but it is up to him to find a case, that he likes, so you guys don't need to judge that.

I feel safer recommending the latter setup, but what about you guys?

8 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I feel safer recommending the latter setup, but what about you guys?

Well the latter looks like the better one, 660p vs MX500 I may prefer the 660p personally... It still is NVMe after all but wouldn't that be too little storage for him?

Is this a gaming focus build? The RX 5700XT might stand out as a better pick if he won't be using CUDA and NVENC.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

12 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Well the latter looks like the better one, 660p vs MX500 I may prefer the 660p personally... It still is NVMe after all but wouldn't that be too little storage for him?

The 660p uses QLC Flash, which makes it pretty bad as soon as the chache is used up. When it's empty it is better, but the fuller it gets the worse it gets.

Latencies are all over the place.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13078/the-intel-ssd-660p-ssd-review-qlc-nand-arrives/3

Edit: actually I think I retract that. At least the for the 1TB models, the 660p looks to be a bit better.

The mx500 is also not the ideal solution. I'd rather have a smaller samsung 970 evo as system driver and then something else for mass storage. But it would be a bit more expensive that way.

12 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Is this a gaming focus build? The RX 5700XT might stand out as a better pick if he won't be using CUDA and NVENC.

It is. I'm also considering it. But that is a choice he has to make, as they are in the same price range.