Ready to buy?

johnsonwild
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($474.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 ACE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($162.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1356.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-01 11:08 EDT-0400

pure cost savings with minimal to no visual or performance change. 

I have a fairly new gtx 1080 at home so I don't think i need to buy a new gpu. Gonna overclock cpu, gpu and possibly ram if that is possible. I don't know anything about overclocking ram tho. Hoping that it will run after assembly.

Is this build compatible? Is it even good?

It's compatible, but there are some shitty build decisions:

1. Get a 3700X, 3800X or 3900X, don't get the 9900K; costs more, more heat, no CPU cooler included, etc etc.
  2. 750W isn't needed
  3. H150i isn't needed
  4. 4400MHz memory? WTF

This will perform the same (if not better) for the same money:

The X62 isn't necessary I just put it in there because it looks good and the X52 costs more for some reason

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

18 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

you do not need that fast memmory, like at all. 

19 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

you dont need that expencive PSU. a 550w PSU is enough. TX550M is fine or MWE Gold. 

20 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

water coolers are overrated. 

20 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

you can save 40$ here by using a Sabrent Rocket instead. 

you can save a lot of money. 

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Fryzen 64 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($299.00 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.90 @ B&H) 
Total: $1172.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-01 11:14 EDT-0400

visual and performance change for more cost savings. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.00 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.95 @ Amazon) 
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.90 @ B&H) 
Total: $1007.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-01 11:16 EDT-0400

even more cost savings. 

these perform worse than the 9900k by a little bit, but you will be GPU limited in every title that isnt automatically CPU limited anyways. so yeah. 

46 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Is this build compatible?

yes. 

46 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Is it even good?

for the money? no, you can get it cheaper as demonstrated above. 

it does have a lot of performance tho. and its not super far off being better value.

also, ignore the PSU warning it gives in one of the builds, PCP does not do PSUs well at all. the 550 watt straighpower is more than fine. 

15 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks !

I think I will go with this build.           this will be perfect.

16 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

1. Get a 3700X, 3800X or 3900X, don't get the 9900K; costs more, more heat, no CPU cooler included, etc etc.
  2. 750W isn't needed
  3. H150i isn't needed
  4. 4400MHz memory? WTF

The X62 isn't necessary I just put it in there because it looks good and the X52 costs more for some reason

Nice build but for now I prefer intel builds. I wasn’t sure if 4400mhz ram would do any difference but It seemed like it would. Also heat likely won’t be a problem for me.

5 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Nice build but for now I prefer intel builds. I wasn’t sure if 4400mhz ram would do any difference but It seemed like it would. Also heat likely won’t be a problem for me.

its up to you if you dont want to save another 200$ for a slight performance loss in scenarios where you would be CPU limited anyways. but thats up to you. 

Here's my recommendation. I chose p600s but meshify s2 is fine too. Choose any case that you prefer more.

19 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

2. 750W isn't needed
  3. H150i isn't needed
  4. 4400MHz memory? WTF

Those are not shitty build decisions, your advice is.

1. They are in the same price range, 9900K is still better, they don't give you CPU cooler because you are adviced to go with AFTERMARKET cooler anyway. Plus, R9 is shit storm now so.

2. 750W is needed if he wants to upgrade anything in the future without buying a new PSU.

3. It is needed if you want to keep your CPU cool enough.

You saying AIO isn't needed and then including CPU with cooler included and adding NZXT aftermarket AIO. ? 

Plus it wouldn't perform better in anyway possible with your PCP list.

Why does everybody keep to point AMD as better one? They are out of stock, has multiple BIOS errors, can not perform boost as marketed (until BIOS update, which still tells you everything about R9 chips), you have to spend more money for "Ryzen certified" memory sticks while there is no difference. Please stop being stupid. Just because you use AMD products (CPU, GPU) it doesn't mean it's the best out there, AMD still sucks. They made an improvement but still has a lot of MOBO issues, OC issues, BIOS issues, etc. And if they continue like that they will never even be close to Intel. 

If he chose i9-9900K then he's not interested with buying some lame ass AMD product and go cheaper for what? 50 bucks? And will loose his nerves once he get's BSOD because it runs at 1.5V? I mean, what a stupid advice.

CPU: i9-9900K R0 3,6 GHz (Coffee Lake) | AIO: ROG RYUJIN 360 | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti ROG MATRIX | MOBO: ROG Maximus XI Extreme | RAM: Trident Z Neo Series, DDR4-3600, CL16 64 GB | Case: O11Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum | SSD: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

3 hours ago, Andrijaaa said:

Those are not shitty build decisions, your advice is.

1. They are in the same price range, 9900K is still better, they don't give you CPU cooler because you are adviced to go with AFTERMARKET cooler anyway. Plus, R9 is shit storm now so.

2. 750W is needed if he wants to upgrade anything in the future without buying a new PSU.

3. It is needed if you want to keep your CPU cool enough.

You saying AIO isn't needed and then including CPU with cooler included and adding NZXT aftermarket AIO. ? 

Plus it wouldn't perform better in anyway possible with your PCP list.

Why does everybody keep to point AMD as better one? They are out of stock, has multiple BIOS errors, can not perform boost as marketed (until BIOS update, which still tells you everything about R9 chips), you have to spend more money for "Ryzen certified" memory sticks while there is no difference. Please stop being stupid. Just because you use AMD products (CPU, GPU) it doesn't mean it's the best out there, AMD still sucks. They made an improvement but still has a lot of MOBO issues, OC issues, BIOS issues, etc. And if they continue like that they will never even be close to Intel. 

If he chose i9-9900K then he's not interested with buying some lame ass AMD product and go cheaper for what? 50 bucks? And will loose his nerves once he get's BSOD because it runs at 1.5V? I mean, what a stupid advice.

1. I know about the 3900X practically being a shitstorm that's why I also recommended the 3700X and 3800X.

2. 550-650W is better in that regard. Actually pretty shocking that people think you need that much wattage nowadays, can't really blame them though

3. It's not a high-end HEDT, it's a 9900K. One of the lower-end AIOs is still good.

I added the NZXT AIO for two reasons:
1. It looks pretty cool

2. In case he prefers water cooling; otherwise i'd just stay with the stock cooler or get an air one

Only the 3900X is out of stock everywhere. The BIOS stuff has been mostly ironed out by now; these mishaps always happen at release of literally any CPU. You absolutely do not have to spend extra money for 'Ryzen Certified'; literally anything should work.

I do think 1.5V is high but it's not 1.5V load, just when doing really light loads that the CPU can take 1.5V no problem. If you're worried about that, set your voltage manually. It's a simple step in the BIOS.

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

1. I know about the 3900X practically being a shitstorm that's why I also recommended the 3700X and 3800X.

2. 550-650W is better in that regard. Actually pretty shocking that people think you need that much wattage nowadays, can't really blame them though

3. It's not a high-end HEDT, it's a 9900K. One of the lower-end AIOs is still good.

I added the NZXT AIO for two reasons:
1. It looks pretty cool

2. In case he prefers water cooling; otherwise i'd just stay with the stock cooler or get an air one

Only the 3900X is out of stock everywhere. The BIOS stuff has been mostly ironed out by now; these mishaps always happen at release of literally any CPU. You absolutely do not have to spend extra money for 'Ryzen Certified'; literally anything should work.

I do think 1.5V is high but it's not 1.5V load, just when doing really light loads that the CPU can take 1.5V no problem. If you're worried about that, set your voltage manually. It's a simple step in the BIOS.

1. Both of them are worse then 9900K.

2. In that regard I don't think that you understand "future upgrade". If RTX 3080 Ti comes out next year and it get's double TDP? 10900K comes out and has double TDP? If you get 750W now you don't have to upgrade it in future. It's not like it's gonna use 750W the whole time, only how much it needs.

3. Then you don't have a clue how 9900K get's hot, seeing you prefer AMD it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. And a lower-end AIO is never a good option.

Well, not at scale at which AMD is, of course little issues are normal, but when they are saying that it can boost to 4.4 GHz out of the box (or even more) and then crashes at 4.0 - 4.1 GHz, it sucks hard. They already admitted that they can't find good enough 7nm chips for 3900X and basically every "not good enough" chip ends up everywhere else.

Yeah, it was 1.5V load... And again, they had a problem with BIOS automatically reverting it to 1.5V even after flashing BIOS/manually entering voltage. 

CPU: i9-9900K R0 3,6 GHz (Coffee Lake) | AIO: ROG RYUJIN 360 | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti ROG MATRIX | MOBO: ROG Maximus XI Extreme | RAM: Trident Z Neo Series, DDR4-3600, CL16 64 GB | Case: O11Dynamic XL (ROG Certified) | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum | SSD: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

1 hour ago, Andrijaaa said:

2. In that regard I don't think that you understand "future upgrade". If RTX 3080 Ti comes out next year and it get's double TDP? 10900K comes out and has double TDP? If you get 750W now you don't have to upgrade it in future. It's not like it's gonna use 750W the whole time, only how much it needs.

3. Then you don't have a clue how 9900K get's hot, seeing you prefer AMD it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. And a lower-end AIO is never a good option.

Well, not at scale at which AMD is, of course little issues are normal, but when they are saying that it can boost to 4.4 GHz out of the box (or even more) and then crashes at 4.0 - 4.1 GHz, it sucks hard. They already admitted that they can't find good enough 7nm chips for 3900X and basically every "not good enough" chip ends up everywhere else.

Yeah, it was 1.5V load... And again, they had a problem with BIOS automatically reverting it to 1.5V even after flashing BIOS/manually entering voltage. 

1. Not by much at all.

2. 650W is still more than enough.

3. I'm not saying Kraken M22 or H60, just like Kraken X52/62 or H100i.

I do agree the boost issues suck though; however the CPUs are still pretty great.

Bad BIOS design then. Not fault of the chip then

23 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

its up to you if you dont want to save another 200$ for a slight performance loss in scenarios where you would be CPU limited anyways. but thats up to you. 

I think that since I am hoping that the pc will last for about 5 years or so, with some parts being switched every now and then. That it might be better to have an i9 instead of amd for future proofing.

23 hours ago, PCNoobie said:

Here's my recommendation. I chose p600s but meshify s2 is fine too. Choose any case that you prefer more.

Thanks! I will have a more in depth look when possible and consider it as well.

16 hours ago, Andrijaaa said:

Thank you for the well needed information! It seems as though it is a safer and better choice to go with intel.

I will be upgrading this build in the future and I hope it will perform as a high end gaming pc as well as just a good overall pc.

I am pretty sure that water coolers are better then air coolers at least in cooling. I watched some benchmarks where the temps where massively reduced when they had a water cooler instead of air. 

I also think it’s better to have a reliable Corsair power supply with higher voltage instead of something more budget with lower voltage since I don’t mind spending extra for safety and for future-proofing.

I will be looking into overclocking but if the fps are fine without it doesn’t really matter to me.

Do you think the gtx 1080 can keep up with this build? I know how to overclock it if needed.

I am extremely new to forums so I hope that this reply didn’t disappoint you in some way. 

12 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Thanks! I will have a more in depth look when possible and consider it as well.

If you plan to overclock ram manually I recommend you to get Samsung b-die ram module. Generally, it's the best ram module to overclock compared to hynix and micron.

Most 3200mhz cl14 factory overclocked rams use b-dies. You can find serial numbers of them from this website.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403200&L=30,140&Z=16384002

7 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

If you plan to overclock ram manually I recommend you to get Samsung b-die ram module. Generally, it's the best ram module to overclock compared to hynix and micron.

Most 3200mhz cl14 factory overclocked rams use b-dies. You can find serial numbers of them from this website.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403200&L=30,140&Z=16384002

Do you think it would be better to use an xmp profile? I haven’t overclocked ram before but it seems like xmp is very involved in it. How much can you overclock the 3200mhz. To 3600mhz?

My friends think I should get trident z because it looks better. 

Is ram latency important? Is there a way to go into bios and lower the latency in a safe and stable way? I think that latency might be important if I were to play competitively. Not by far though.

You our seem to know allot about ram. Have you overclocked your own ram? What was the way you decided on?

17 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Do you think it would be better to use an xmp profile? I haven’t overclocked ram before but it seems like xmp is very involved in it. How much can you overclock the 3200mhz. To 3600mhz?

Is ram latency important? Is there a way to go into bios and lower the latency in a safe and stable way? I think that latency might be important if I were to play competitively. Not by far though.

You our seem to know allot about ram. Have you overclocked your own ram? What was the way you decided on?

3600mhz cl14 is possible. It is lottery and depends on mobo but 4000mhz cl19 can be possible and saw 4400mhz cl17 with Asrock z390 phantom gaming itx on someone's stream.

If you care for aesthetics, it's worth to spend $10~20 more.

Latency is important. It's takes time to find least latency for certain clock speed. You will have to invest time in running stress test for ram.

1 hour ago, johnsonwild said:

I think that since I am hoping that the pc will last for about 5 years or so, with some parts being switched every now and then. That it might be better to have an i9 instead of amd for future proofing.

the difference is like 0-10%, and the corecount is the same, so the difference in that regard isnt big. but fair enough

58 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

I also think it’s better to have a reliable Corsair power supply with higher voltage instead of something more budget with lower voltage since I don’t mind spending extra for safety and for future-proofing.

more than 550w is unnecesary. and more wattage doesnt give more "future proofing"

1 hour ago, johnsonwild said:

I am pretty sure that water coolers are better then air coolers at least in cooling. I watched some benchmarks where the temps where massively reduced when they had a water cooler instead of air. 

depends on the water cooler and what aircooler one is using. 

watercoolers are not what they are made up to be. 

17 hours ago, Andrijaaa said:

they had a problem with BIOS automatically reverting it to 1.5V even after flashing BIOS/manually entering voltage. 

first time ive ever heard of that issues. 

If RTX 3080 Ti comes out next year and it get's double TDP?

its not going to, how do i know this? if you read the market over the past 20 years or so, you know more than 250w powerdraw is a meme, and it simply isnt acceptable by the public. 

If you get 750W now you don't have to upgrade it in future

if you get 550w you dont need to care about upgrading untill your PSU is really outdated. noone except people who use literal HEDT hardware needs more than 550w. 

are you reffering to overclocking and it crashes due to low voltage?

ive yet to see their statement regarding yields, so unless you have a quote, that there is kinda made up. 

51 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

XMP is fine, you do not need faster memmory than 3200mhz unless you really want to squeeze every bit from AMD`s Zen 2 architecture. 

Then you don't have a clue how 9900K get's hot, seeing you prefer AMD it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. And a lower-end AIO is never a good option.

while i agree AIOs are dumb, you dont need a high end AIO to cool it. a high surface are cooler is fine, either it being an aircooler  or a AIO. 

54 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Ram latency is less important thatn what the other guy is making it out to be. we are talking about single digit performance gains. and going above 3200mhz cl16/cl14 doesnt make a lot of sense on the 9900k. 

you can just set XMP and ignore the rest. 

55 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

are you going to actually manually overclock memmory? or just set XMP? because getting a great kit really only matters when manually overclocking, otherwise just grab a 3200mhz cl16 kit. 

44 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

Latency is important. It's takes time to find least latency for certain clock speed. You will have to invest time in running stress test for ram

unless you are seeking every drip of performance, latency isnt that important when it comes to Ram. 

and just running XMP is all you really have to do. 

On 10/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, PCNoobie said:

note: pcparticker is really dumb atm with PSUs, turn off compatibility filter has PCP for no good reason says dual EPS mobos cant work with single EPS PSUs. have message mod at PCP, but no response. 

On 10/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, PCNoobie said:

also worth noting that this Ramkit is never in stock and is wrongy listed on PCP. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

unless you are seeking every drip of performance, latency isnt that important when it comes to Ram. 

and just running XMP is all you really have to do. 

note: pcparticker is really dumb atm with PSUs, turn off compatibility filter has PCP for no good reason says dual EPS mobos cant work with single EPS PSUs. have message mod at PCP, but no response. 

also worth noting that this Ramkit is never in stock and is wrongy listed on PCP. 

Will probably buy the lowest latency 3200mhz ram and use XMP profile, thanks.

So the best ram to choose from

is either G skill ripjaws or g skill trident z?

8 minutes ago, johnsonwild said:

Will probably buy the lowest latency 3200mhz ram and use XMP profile, thanks.

So the best ram to choose from

is either G skill ripjaws or g skill trident z?

Makes no difference what brand it is. There are only like 3 people who make memmory. Samsung, Hynix and Micron. All of them are good. 

If you are intetested in cheap good overclocking sticks for experimentation then ive got a few suggestions,

I allready picked most if not all the parts in the first build, even tho it wouldnt be a bad idea to save a bit by going with the other builds i posted.

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Makes no difference what brand it is. There are only like 3 people who make memmory. Samsung, Hynix and Micron. All of them are good. 

If you are intetested in cheap good overclocking sticks for experimentation then ive got a few suggestions,

I allready picked most if not all the parts in the first build, even tho it wouldnt be a bad idea to save a bit by going with the other builds i posted.

Yeah well hopefully when I’ve assembled the pc it will run well with a g-sync monitor. I will get a part time job when I get older and look into getting more peripherals and competitive gear.