Should build now or wait 2020

Hocigache
Go to solution Solved by Semper,

Building a system will perpetually be a state of "wait for the next thing or go with what I have now?"

So far as I know, DDR5 is estimated to be coming in 2020. I've not personally seen any hard data on that number.

With that said, I think you're best off just building a system now. DDR iterations go through a cycle where they start off being fairly expensive/gb, early adopter tax, as it were. Then as they become "mainstream" and see wider adoption, they drop down in price, and when the next iteration comes along, and back inventory dries up, they become a niche item and become expensive again. DDR4 is currently in the "mainstream" phase, and now in particular is the best it's been in quite a while.

Hello, i am thinking of building a mini workstation mainly for programming and somme video editing or should i wait for 2020 for ddr5?

The build is

• CPU Ryzen 5 3600
  • MOTHERBOARD : ASUS Tuf B450 Pro Gaming
  • RAM : ADATA D41 16gb RAM (2 x 8gb) 3200mhz
  • SSD : ADATA XPG TAMMIX S11 PRO 512Go
  • HDD : WD 2T
  • GPU : RX 580 8gb
  • PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650w
  • CASE Cooler Master MasterBox MB530P

Building a system will perpetually be a state of "wait for the next thing or go with what I have now?"

So far as I know, DDR5 is estimated to be coming in 2020. I've not personally seen any hard data on that number.

With that said, I think you're best off just building a system now. DDR iterations go through a cycle where they start off being fairly expensive/gb, early adopter tax, as it were. Then as they become "mainstream" and see wider adoption, they drop down in price, and when the next iteration comes along, and back inventory dries up, they become a niche item and become expensive again. DDR4 is currently in the "mainstream" phase, and now in particular is the best it's been in quite a while.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

21 minutes ago, Hocigache said:

should i wait for 2020 for ddr5?

ddr5 is 2021 or late 2020. keep that in mind. 

Zen 3 is gonna use ddr4 it seems. and intel might decide to use ddr5 for their desktop 10nm chips in late 2020.