streamers attention question

Hunlight

Hello

I got my new monitor which is ultra wide screen 25" 1440p. I got 1080ti and ryzen 3600.

Have a few questions for streamers who could help out with detailed information.

1) I tried streaming  2 games, first one Path of exile (in 21:9 aspect) with 6k bit rate 893p (from 1440p > 893p~ resize in obs settings) streamed for about 2h and went ok, quality wise game looked good, sharp enough no lags (saw one drop for a second but probably some map load or smh), then I tried streaming AC oddessey and I tried everything, 264 at the beginning with presets from medium to very fast, nvmec, nvmec new with bit rate from 6k to 4k but whatever I do (Even lower resolution) the game was choppy, laggy, pixelated, though game on my end was smooth and fine. I want to ask what kind of settigns I can try using for 1440p to 893p streaming, I know my rig is not good enough to stream on 264 and 1440p but I would like to have at least 893p ultra wide stream with decent quality.

2) Is it possible to stream ultra wide on YT ? It worked perfectly on twitch but YT just gave black bars around image.

Assassins Creed Odyssey is a horribly CPU bound game. You will need to limit your in-game FPS to allow enough resources to stream. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Assassins Creed Odyssey is a horribly CPU bound game. You will need to limit your in-game FPS to allow enough resources to stream. 

okay, maybe true, not that I want to stream it 24/7 its fine. but what about overall obs settings for streaming on ultra wide screen ?

14 minutes ago, Hunlight said:

okay, maybe true, not that I want to stream it 24/7 its fine. but what about overall obs settings for streaming on ultra wide screen ?

21:9 isnt a main stream resolution yet so support is iffy yet. I know a friend of mine streams in 21:9 as well and has issues at times but I dont know enough about it as I stick with the tried and true 16:9 myself. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

21:9 isnt a main stream resolution yet so support is iffy yet. I know a friend of mine streams in 21:9 as well and has issues at times but I dont know enough about it as I stick with the tried and true 16:9 myself. 

oh well, will wait maybe someone will have info about 21:9 I would love to stream on 16:9 but I cant get back to 16:9 gaming and game would look strange with cut screen on both sides.

It's always better to resize using round numbers... ex resize by 2, by 3...

Also modern video encoders always work best when the width and height are multiples of 8 or 16 (internally they pad these to 8 or 16 anyway, you just don't see those black or green lines at the bottom when decoding as they're cropped out)

If you record at 2560x1440, then use bilinear or bicubic resize to 1280x720

If you record at 3440x1440, then use resize to 1720x720 and either stream like this, or configure your output resolution to 1920x720 or 1920x800 and center game on viewing area (use black bars on left and right) or use the column of 1920x-720=200px for webcam, announcements etc etc.. and the 80px at the bottom can also be used for announcements, tickers, text, links etc.

Resizing by exactly half is much cheaper (cpu wise) than resizing to weird ratios, and you get less rounding errors. With resizing by half, the resizing is simply done by making an average of the colors of 2 pixels... with others the resizing needs to get 3 pixels and make 2.5 pixels or something like that. From frame to frame, you can get approximation errors from the resize that can cause the video codec to waste more bits with those approximation and rounding errors and you're losing image quality.

Don't chase high resolutions... most viewers don't care as long as it's something reasonable like 720p ... a lot of streamers stream at 960x540 or 900p and nobody minds. Especially with smaller bitrates like 4-6mbps, you'll retain more quality in smaller resolution compared to having a bigger but blocky resolution.

Also, majority of viewers of your stream probably view your stream in browser, with the scrolling chat on the side and other crap, and most have 1080p monitors, so the video you stream is resized anyway to less than 1600px wide (or around that).

If you have 3440x1440, another thing you could do would be to add a custom resolution in your video card's settings, 3072x1440 ... the monitor will simply show this to you with tiny black bars on the side. 

The benefit is you can simply resize by a round 3, and you get 1024x480 ... which would work very well for low bitrates like 2-3 mbps. It would also work decent if you do

- resize by 2.4 to 1280x600 or

- resize by 2 to 1536x720

- resize by 1.6 to 1920x900 (and pad to 904px to be multiple of 8 )

- resize by 1.5 to 2048x960 (not sure it's good idea, better stick to below 1920 for most compatibility)

All of these are ratios that don't give you decimals or weird numbers like 893 and should give less rounding errors.

Some games may not like this weird aspect ratio (2.133) and not show this resolution though.

8 hours ago, mariushm said:

It's always better to resize using round numbers... ex resize by 2, by 3...

Also modern video encoders always work best when the width and height are multiples of 8 or 16 (internally they pad these to 8 or 16 anyway, you just don't see those black or green lines at the bottom when decoding as they're cropped out)

If you record at 2560x1440, then use bilinear or bicubic resize to 1280x720

If you record at 3440x1440, then use resize to 1720x720 and either stream like this, or configure your output resolution to 1920x720 or 1920x800 and center game on viewing area (use black bars on left and right) or use the column of 1920x-720=200px for webcam, announcements etc etc.. and the 80px at the bottom can also be used for announcements, tickers, text, links etc.

Resizing by exactly half is much cheaper (cpu wise) than resizing to weird ratios, and you get less rounding errors. With resizing by half, the resizing is simply done by making an average of the colors of 2 pixels... with others the resizing needs to get 3 pixels and make 2.5 pixels or something like that. From frame to frame, you can get approximation errors from the resize that can cause the video codec to waste more bits with those approximation and rounding errors and you're losing image quality.

Don't chase high resolutions... most viewers don't care as long as it's something reasonable like 720p ... a lot of streamers stream at 960x540 or 900p and nobody minds. Especially with smaller bitrates like 4-6mbps, you'll retain more quality in smaller resolution compared to having a bigger but blocky resolution.

Also, majority of viewers of your stream probably view your stream in browser, with the scrolling chat on the side and other crap, and most have 1080p monitors, so the video you stream is resized anyway to less than 1600px wide (or around that).

If you have 3440x1440, another thing you could do would be to add a custom resolution in your video card's settings, 3072x1440 ... the monitor will simply show this to you with tiny black bars on the side. 

The benefit is you can simply resize by a round 3, and you get 1024x480 ... which would work very well for low bitrates like 2-3 mbps. It would also work decent if you do

- resize by 2.4 to 1280x600 or

- resize by 2 to 1536x720

- resize by 1.6 to 1920x900 (and pad to 904px to be multiple of 8 )

- resize by 1.5 to 2048x960 (not sure it's good idea, better stick to below 1920 for most compatibility)

All of these are ratios that don't give you decimals or weird numbers like 893 and should give less rounding errors.

Some games may not like this weird aspect ratio (2.133) and not show this resolution though.

thanks will try out, I think I tried 1720x720 and then will use it if u say its better to go round numbers ;) also I dont want any black bars ruins all purpose of ultra wide screen for me which I enjoy a lot. and as my net is gigabit (like 900 download and 800-900 upload) I can go more bitrate but not sure if my pc can handle it, I jsut dont get it guy with 1080 (non ti) and 8700k streaming on gpu (nvmec) uses 12k bitrate and it works perfectly for him ( with 100mb internet) when 6k is barely working for me -_-