Is an RX580 on a CX450 psu fine?

Askingcarpet
Go to solution Solved by seon123,
1 hour ago, Silentprototipe said:

CX PSU's are a bit yikes. Go for a higher wattage PSU. EVGA seems to do pretty well 

Please avoid spreading misinformation. If you have no idea what you're talking about, it's often best not to.

The 2017 CX is quite decent. LLC resonant primary, DC-DC and a rifle bearing fan. Unlike a lot of EVGA's stuff, which often uses sleeve bearing fans and group regulation on the low-mid range.

1 hour ago, mok said:

input your specs into pcpartpicker to estimate wattage

That's a great way to just waste time. PCPP's calculator overestimates, and when a part doesn't have a number for the power draw, it assumes it's 0W. Particularly the motherboard and RAM power draw is exaggurated.

2 hours ago, Askingcarpet said:

and was wondering if it'd work safely

It's more than fine. Just make sure the GPU only needs a single PCI-e 8 pin to work. Here's the power draw of the XFX Fatboy. The power draw goes up to about 230W, so accounting for the rest of the system, expect around 300W draw from the PSU under a gaming load.

So i'm planning to finally upgrade the last component of my build, the good old 750ti, and i was thinking about either the 570 or the 580. I've seen that the 580 recommends a 500w psu, but i know they usually exaggerate the ratings to escape liability. My system has 2 7200rpm hard drives, an i3 8100, 8gb of ddr4 2400mhz and 5 case fans on a corsair CX450, and was wondering if it'd work safely, or if i need to underclock it a little to make it more stable.
As a sidenote, where i live we use 220v AC, which as far as i know, means the efficiency of the PSU will be higher compared to 110v.

Also, i would love to know if the 590 could run as well, since i can also afford it and seems to be better in terms of efficiency as it is a newer chip

Thanks in advance

CPU: Core i3 8100 @ 3,6GHz 

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B360M-DS3H

RAM: 8GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 2400mHz

Storage: 2TB WD 7200RPM HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Case: Deepcool Dukase V3

PSU: Corsair CX450

Keyboard: Cougar Core

Mouse: Logitech G502

Headset: HyperX Cloud Stinger

CX PSU's are a bit yikes. Go for a higher wattage PSU. EVGA seems to do pretty well 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

it will work - but youre right at the upper limit of the PSU with a RX580

input your specs into pcpartpicker to estimate wattage and everything looked fine until you mentioned the 5 case fans.

i personally, am not comfortable with you running a 450W PSU - i would recommend upgrading

With all that said i know im completely missing the whole point about AC to DC conversion - so im hoping someone can add to my comment

also a little blown away at how high the RX580's TDP is rated at - higher than my evga gtx 1080

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I know the older ones had some serious issues but this one is the newest model. Also, i doubt i can just get a new one since they're kinda expensive here.

1 hour ago, mok said:

it will work - but youre right at the upper limit of the PSU with a RX580

input your specs into pcpartpicker to estimate wattage and everything looked fine until you mentioned the 5 case fans.

i personally, am not comfortable with you running a 450W PSU - i would recommend upgrading

With all that said i know im completely missing the whole point about AC to DC conversion - so im hoping someone can add to my comment

also a little blown away at how high the RX580's TDP is rated at - higher than my evga gtx 1080

Yeah that's why i asked about the 590, since it seems to be a more efficient chip, and i can also underclock/undervolt it to make it draw less power if needed

Also yeah, the 220v is definitely a factor. According to corsair themselves, the efficiency on 220v is like 9 or 10% higher at all loads compared to 110v meaning i can safely squeeze more power out of it than you could in the US.

it's not bad. if anything, EVGA's PSUs at the same price point is way worse.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Please avoid spreading misinformation. If you have no idea what you're talking about, it's often best not to.

The 2017 CX is quite decent. LLC resonant primary, DC-DC and a rifle bearing fan. Unlike a lot of EVGA's stuff, which often uses sleeve bearing fans and group regulation on the low-mid range.

1 hour ago, mok said:

input your specs into pcpartpicker to estimate wattage

That's a great way to just waste time. PCPP's calculator overestimates, and when a part doesn't have a number for the power draw, it assumes it's 0W. Particularly the motherboard and RAM power draw is exaggurated.

2 hours ago, Askingcarpet said:

and was wondering if it'd work safely

It's more than fine. Just make sure the GPU only needs a single PCI-e 8 pin to work. Here's the power draw of the XFX Fatboy. The power draw goes up to about 230W, so accounting for the rest of the system, expect around 300W draw from the PSU under a gaming load.

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Thanks a lot for the well-made answer man. Appreciate it

Just to be sure, if i were to purchase a 590 instead, i'd be plenty fine right? The recommended PSU is 500w for both the 590 and 580 but i'd heard it drew less power being a different, more efficient die, but you seem like you would know more than me about that lol.

3 minutes ago, Askingcarpet said:

Thanks a lot for the well-made answer man. Appreciate it

Just to be sure, if i were to purchase a 590 instead, i'd be plenty fine right? The recommended PSU is 500w for both the 590 and 580 but i'd heard it drew less power being a different, more efficient die, but you seem like you would know more than me about that lol.

You're more than fine with either GPU. For the custom 580/590 versions in the review I linked, the 590 had a higher power draw, but it also performs a bit better. The exact power draw will vary depending on which GPU variant you get, but the 590 is more power hungry in general, and not really more efficient.

:)

16 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Wow what a nerd :P. But actually thats pretty neateo. I shall keep that in mind now 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested!