New (budget) pc or old workstation for desk pc

I was thinking of using some ddr3 ecc memory that i accidentally bought on an old workstation as a gaming pc, but i wondered if, because i was planning on the case being a desk pc, if i should buy a newer pc for basic gaming. The most intensive game that i play would be Beam NG, and i am planning on playing on a 60hz 1080p monitor

BeamNG depends on what you are going to do. If you are going to do some GrayStillPlays type of stuff (aka doing stuff that is destined to artifact) you need alot better than anything budget, but if you are doing what most people would do on there you should be fine with any form of cheaper pre-built PC (you can find one on ebay with a decent cpu, ranging from an 8th gen i5 to an i7-2600 for less than $150) and install a better GPU, i'd personally recommend GTX 1050 TI or RX 570, or for extreme budget options and light gaming a GT 1070, or for EXTREEMEEEE budget options, GT 710 could come pre built with any of them.

my terrible laptop: CPU: i5-2450M at 2.60 ghz base (however goes up to 3.30 ghz on any steam game i run. odd.) GPU: integrated Quadro NVS 4200m (garbage. the reason that this is terrible.) 6GB of ram, 300GB HDD. refurbished Dell Latitude Esomething. got it for like 140 bucks on amazon.

1 hour ago, Mr. Budget said:

BeamNG depends on what you are going to do. If you are going to do some GrayStillPlays type of stuff (aka doing stuff that is destined to artifact) you need alot better than anything budget, but if you are doing what most people would do on there you should be fine with any form of cheaper pre-built PC (you can find one on ebay with a decent cpu, ranging from an 8th gen i5 to an i7-2600 for less than $150) and install a better GPU, i'd personally recommend GTX 1050 TI or RX 570, or for extreme budget options and light gaming a GT 1070, or for EXTREEMEEEE budget options, GT 710 could come pre built with any of them.

Well im trying to upgrade from a upgraded optiplex 390 (i5 2500k, 12gb ddr3, gt 1030)

1 minute ago, Chambersofsecret said:

Well im trying to upgrade from a upgraded optiplex 390 (i5 2500k, 12gb ddr3, gt 1030)

I'd say you're CPU is already good for a budget gamer, the 12gb ddr3 i'm assuming is the ram? if it is, you can just upgrade it to ddr4 12gb or 2x 8gb sticks. the gpu is the main thing you would need to upgrade assuming you aren't taking you're specs to the max. i'd suggest a gtx 980 or better. you can find a gtx 1050 ti or 1060 for less than 130 dollars but if you are on a really tight budget after other upgrades take a gtx 980 or so.

my terrible laptop: CPU: i5-2450M at 2.60 ghz base (however goes up to 3.30 ghz on any steam game i run. odd.) GPU: integrated Quadro NVS 4200m (garbage. the reason that this is terrible.) 6GB of ram, 300GB HDD. refurbished Dell Latitude Esomething. got it for like 140 bucks on amazon.

2 hours ago, Mr. Budget said:

I'd say you're CPU is already good for a budget gamer, the 12gb ddr3 i'm assuming is the ram? if it is, you can just upgrade it to ddr4 12gb or 2x 8gb sticks. the gpu is the main thing you would need to upgrade assuming you aren't taking you're specs to the max. i'd suggest a gtx 980 or better. you can find a gtx 1050 ti or 1060 for less than 130 dollars but if you are on a really tight budget after other upgrades take a gtx 980 or so.

pretty sure 2nd gen didn't support ddr4...

if OP wanted to upgrade they'd need a at least new mobo, cpu, and ram

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

10 hours ago, Gegger said:

pretty sure 2nd gen didn't support ddr4...

if OP wanted to upgrade they'd need a at least new mobo, cpu, and ram

Ya the cpu only supports ddr3, 1333mhz max, and im currently trying to upgrade from a dell optiplex board, and was wondering what would be better in terms of pcie lanes, the cpu (ryzen 5 2600) im looking at only has 20, vs a xeon having around 64, then there is the aesthetic thing of presenting this in a desk pc, which was why i wanted to upgrade from my m-atx optiplex 390 board.