Simple Switch Question

Naterr

I just stacked two Dell N3048EP-N 48 port switches using the stack cable. I went from the top port on the first switch, which was also already configured, and placed the new switch below is that was set to factory settings and connected the stack cable to bottom stack port on it. I then restarted the top switch (master) and after it went through POST, I plugged in the next switch to power. Everything works. Everything is up and running, but the only issue I am having is that the new switch is not displaying the Unit number. The first switch displays "01" and the bottom switch only list "0 "

Is this a cause of concern? I currently working, and having no issues. Only reason thing I can think of is connecting another stack cable to the empty stack ports?? The video below shows installing two cables.

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

The stack cables are fine with a single cable but you reduce half of the backplane bandwidth for the stack. Similar with meraki and cisco, you typically would have something like 160Gbps of bandwidth on the stacking backplane, using a single cable will reduce it to 80Gbps. Not entirely sure on the throughput for the stack in those switches. (stacking throughput that is) 

I'll take cisco because I haven't worked with dell stacks but typically a cisco stack would auto provision itself, I think it's the same with these switches. 

Have you stacked them before? If not then check some basic things such as have you cabled up the stacking correctly? Cisco stacks port 2 to port 1, from top switch to the second member and carry on... 

Are the switches running the same firmware? Did you connect the stack cable prior to boot up the 2nd switch? If they are not the same firmware, dell has an auto firmware synchronisation for this that should initiate straight away when adding members into a stack. 

The 3000 series you need to cable bottom port of the first switch to top port on the next switch, did you do that? 

A reference for the 2000 and 3000 series

https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukdhs1/how10356/dell-emc-networking-how-to-stack-n2000-or-n3000-switches?lang=en

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

16 minutes ago, BSpendlove said:

The stack cables are fine with a single cable but you reduce half of the backplane bandwidth for the stack. Similar with meraki and cisco, you typically would have something like 160Gbps of bandwidth on the stacking backplane, using a single cable will reduce it to 80Gbps. Not entirely sure on the throughput for the stack in those switches. (stacking throughput that is) 

I'll take cisco because I haven't worked with dell stacks but typically a cisco stack would auto provision itself, I think it's the same with these switches. 

Have you stacked them before? If not then check some basic things such as have you cabled up the stacking correctly? Cisco stacks port 2 to port 1, from top switch to the second member and carry on... 

Are the switches running the same firmware? Did you connect the stack cable prior to boot up the 2nd switch? If they are not the same firmware, dell has an auto firmware synchronisation for this that should initiate straight away when adding members into a stack. 

The 3000 series you need to cable bottom port of the first switch to top port on the next switch, did you do that? 

A reference for the 2000 and 3000 series

https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukdhs1/how10356/dell-emc-networking-how-to-stack-n2000-or-n3000-switches?lang=en

Yeah. So far everything looks good. I mean, were at 21gbps stacked. Maybe just have that additional mini-SAS cable just picks up slack that is left and that's was displays the number. I don't know.

The master switch was already installed. I simply took another one that I configured and reset it to factory. Then installed the new one. I then plugged the mini-SAS cable to the first switch, and them plugged in the 2nd switch with the mini-SAS. Then I booted the second one up. Everything works, just doesn't show the unit 2. 

"Soli Deo Gloria"

Gaming PC: 

• Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link

Yeah if everything is working, I wouldnt worry too much. Cns you specifically see that is 100% is a member of the stack within the management/cli? 

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

9 minutes ago, BSpendlove said:

Yeah if everything is working, I wouldnt worry too much. Cns you specifically see that is 100% is a member of the stack within the management/cli? 

Yes sir! Thank you so much for the help!! God bless!!

"Soli Deo Gloria"

Gaming PC: 

• Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link