24pin power for 4GPUs: avoiding melting.

how much power does a 24pin provide, and is there a way to know how much of it goes to the GPUs?

im planning a 4GPU workstation that could potentially melt the 24pin. I would like to know how much the 24pin can provide them through the PCIE slot as it will effect the other parts I buy, like a mobo with a 6pin for example.

Just now, Pesky Ngon said:

how much power does a 24pin provide, and is there a way to know how much of it goes to the GPUs?

im planning a 4GPU workstation that could potentially melt the 24pin. I would like to know how much the 24pin can provide them through the PCIE slot as it will effect the other parts I buy, like a mobo with a 6pin for example.

What GPUs?

MOST, and in some cases ALL, of the power is delivered through the 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

The 24-pin is an antiquated design and seriously lacks +12V wires.

Depends on what GPUs. If they are anything more than a basic budget GPU, they'll require external power from the PSU. A PCIe X16 slot can provide 75 watts of power, which isn't near enough for graphics cards. 

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

What GPUs?

MOST, and in some cases ALL, of the power is delivered through the 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

The 24-pin is an antiquated design and seriously lacks +12V wires.

im using modded vega 64s. I imaging they may end up drawing a lot of power...

1 minute ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Depends on what GPUs. If they are anything more than a basic budget GPU, they'll require external power from the PSU. A PCIe X16 slot can provide 75 watts of power, which isn't near enough for graphics cards. 

I know they need external power, but even with external power they can still overload the 24pin, that's why im asking. im using modded vega 64s

1 minute ago, Pesky Ngon said:

I know they need external power, but even with external power they can still overload the 24pin, that's why im asking. im using modded vega 64s

If you have a proper power supply that can handle 4 Vega 64 cards, you don't have to worry. The primary power won't be drawn from the motherboard, it will be drawn from the PSU. 

Just now, Lenovo1984 said:

If you have a proper power supply that can handle 4 Vega 64 cards, you don't have to worry. The primary power won't be drawn from the motherboard, it will be drawn from the PSU. 

I will be using a good power supply. that's good to know, thanks. I am a bit confused though, if that's the case how come the 24pin melts for some people who use 3+GPUs?

2 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

I will be using a good power supply. that's good to know, thanks. I am a bit confused though, if that's the case how come the 24pin melts for some people who use 3+GPUs?

I haven't heard of the ATX connector melting from having multiple GPUs. 

The 24 pin only has two 12V wires. PCIe 8 pins are rated for 150W with 3 12V wires, so with the same margin, the 24 pin would be safe with 100W. 

Mini-Fit Jr. is claimed to be good for up to 9A per circuit, which would mean 216W with two 12V wires. 

https://eu.mouser.com/new/molex/molex-minifit-jr-connectors/

Here's the motherboard power draw with a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+

About 33W under torture. So with 4, it's a big eh....

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The 24 pin only has two 12V wires. PCIe 8 pins are rated for 150W with 3 12V wires, so with the same margin, the 24 pin would be safe with 100W. 

Mini-Fit Jr. is claimed to be good for up to 9A per circuit, which would mean 216W with two 12V wires. 

https://eu.mouser.com/new/molex/molex-minifit-jr-connectors/

Here's the motherboard power draw with a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+

About 33W under torture. So with 4, it's a big eh....

that's awesome, thank you for the info. ill have a look at the link.

23 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

im using modded vega 64s. I imaging they may end up drawing a lot of power...

Vega 64's draw all of their power from the power connectors on the card.

19 minutes ago, Pesky Ngon said:

What people?  What GPU's?  This is not a common issue.

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Vega 64's draw all of their power from the power connectors on the card.

in gamers nexus teardown video of the 56 Steve mentions the 29w fan draws its power from the pcie slot. so is it just the fan that uses the PCIE slot and then the GPU itself uses the power connectors?

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What people?  What GPU's?  This is not a common issue.

I cant remember specific people, but it seems to be mentioned from time to time on many large tech channels on YT. I know that just because someone with a following said it doesn't make it true, but that's where I got the idea from. an example would be when reviewers talk about the additional 6pin or molex on motherboards for extra PCIE slot power to avoid overloading the 24pin. as for GPUs, I cant remember anyone giving specific examples, but im aware different GPUs draw different amounts of power from the PCIE slot. 

Just the fan.  The only time I've seen graphics cards melt the 24 pin is when people use multiple cards WITHOUT power connectors to mine crypto. 

That's why I asked what people with what cards. 

51 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Just the fan.  The only time I've seen graphics cards melt the 24 pin is when people use multiple cards WITHOUT power connectors to mine crypto. 

That's why I asked what people with what cards. 

that's really helpful, thank you for all the information. (-: