Would a new video card be bottlenecked in my system?

DanTheMuffinMan

Whilst saving up for a new PC I thought I'd might take what I had so far and buy a new video card in the $700 or $800 CDN range, so probably something like an RtX 2070 super. If I were to get a new video card would it be bottle necked by my system? Specs are in signature.

I do my gaming on a 3440 x 1440 100hz gsync monitor usually, and sometimes from a 60 Hz 4k tv.

Let me know if I need to provide more info and thanks in advance.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Assuming the specs in your signature is your current PC?

A 4770K should be able to handle a 2070 Super with minimal issues.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It depends what your goal is with the card.

If you want to buy it to play recent & upcoming triple A games on pretty much the highest settings, with an FPS range somewhere between 50 - 100, than it should be pretty much just as crunchy dragon said.

If you want the card to get more FPS in “esport” games, so 120+ you will overall see just a tiny improvement over your current 980, if at all. (Unless you play said games on ultra settings for w/e reason)

If you want high FPS, to say 100 stable while also maxing graphics, it will depend a lot on the game you are playing but mostly you would run in CPU bottlenecks.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

Thanks guys ( @Crunchy Dragon @Nord ), yeah my goal is more for triple A/pretty single player games, max settings at ~100 fps on the 3440 x 1440 monitor and 60 fps on the 4k monitor. For example Anno 1800 on the monitor and GTA V on the TV.

Yes, the specs in my sig are the PC I'm talking about.

Any sort of website out there yet where you can enter your specs to see where the bottle neck is? Been a couple years since I've seriously looked at PC components.

Edit: In case it helps, other things I'd like to be playing at max settings: Endless Space 2, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider, maybe the new Call of Duty, the latest Assassins Creed, Cities Skylines, Metal Gear Solid 5, Hitman, that sort of thing.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Really depends on the games. At that res you may get by. 

Mine doesn’t do well at all but it’s at standard 1440p. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

Any sort of website out there yet where you can enter your specs to see where the bottle neck is?

Those do exist, but most(if not all) of them are unreliable.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

short answer: yes

long answer: While your system specs are perfectly reasonable for a 2070 to perform in, there will always be bottlenecking between components due to hardware limitations. Your system appears more than adequate for a 2070 to do 2070 things at that resolution though so have fun with it.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

6 hours ago, DanTheMuffinMan said:

Thanks guys ( @Crunchy Dragon @Nord ), yeah my goal is more for triple A/pretty single player games, max settings at ~100 fps on the 3440 x 1440 monitor and 60 fps on the 4k monitor. For example Anno 1800 on the monitor and GTA V on the TV.

Yes, the specs in my sig are the PC I'm talking about.

Any sort of website out there yet where you can enter your specs to see where the bottle neck is? Been a couple years since I've seriously looked at PC components.

Edit: In case it helps, other things I'd like to be playing at max settings: Endless Space 2, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider, maybe the new Call of Duty, the latest Assassins Creed, Cities Skylines, Metal Gear Solid 5, Hitman, that sort of thing.

Well given your rather “widely spread” game selection it's hard to generalise it as the games differ a lot, as examples:

Anno1800 would still most likely be GPU limited even by a 2070 on your computer monitor and, if run maxed, struggle to stick above 65~ FPS.
On larger cities you on the other hand would be limited by the CPU instead, however this is quite normal in these kind of games.

While for Assassin's Creed Odyssey your CPU will be the limiting factor most of the time. Though keep in mind that this game literally crushes even an 8700k… For the one in egypt (however it's called) you should be fine and get around 65 - 80 almost always. And anything prior to that game should be able to run a fairly locked 100FPS on both your TV or monitor.

Cities Skylines would basically result in 0 performance gain. The game is CPU bound, hard, almost always and not even putting an 9900k in your system would net you much performance gain here. In fact, the game is most likely “bottlenecking” your system already.

Like Crunchy Dragon said, these “bottleneck” sites are basically not to be trusted.
Personally I view them as equally trustworthy as that ad which tells me that I just won an free iphone because i'm the 1.000th visitor. 

These days you are better off to go to youtube and type in “game name CPU GPU”, so for example: “metro exodus 4790k 2070”

One of the top results should be this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnNsGq9iy_8 

OSD overlay on the left side is the important thing and you can get a somewhat realistic expectation of how the game will run for you.
Obviously never trust one single source/video and always check video descriptions for possibly additional informations on hardware and/or graphic settings.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

2 hours ago, Nord said:

Well given your rather “widely spread” game selection it's hard to generalise it as the games differ a lot, as examples:

Anno1800 would still most likely be GPU limited even by a 2070 on your computer monitor and, if run maxed, struggle to stick above 65~ FPS.
On larger cities you on the other hand would be limited by the CPU instead, however this is quite normal in these kind of games.

While for Assassin's Creed Odyssey your CPU will be the limiting factor most of the time. Though keep in mind that this game literally crushes even an 8700k… For the one in egypt (however it's called) you should be fine and get around 65 - 80 almost always. And anything prior to that game should be able to run a fairly locked 100FPS on both your TV or monitor.

Cities Skylines would basically result in 0 performance gain. The game is CPU bound, hard, almost always and not even putting an 9900k in your system would net you much performance gain here. In fact, the game is most likely “bottlenecking” your system already.

Like Crunchy Dragon said, these “bottleneck” sites are basically not to be trusted.
Personally I view them as equally trustworthy as that ad which tells me that I just won an free iphone because i'm the 1.000th visitor. 

These days you are better off to go to youtube and type in “game name CPU GPU”, so for example: “metro exodus 4790k 2070”

One of the top results should be this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnNsGq9iy_8 

OSD overlay on the left side is the important thing and you can get a somewhat realistic expectation of how the game will run for you.
Obviously never trust one single source/video and always check video descriptions for possibly additional informations on hardware and/or graphic settings.

Wow, didn't realize Cities Skylines was so rough on the CPU.

City skylines has always been an, lets just say wired game to benchmark or talk about performance on, as updates are frequents and so are mods & DLC's.

If you are interested in why it is taxing & how it uses available hardware, this is a rather interesting video on the topic in general with skylines being taken as the test subject basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiBmtIW5zns  (plus he got a 9900k for FPS "comparesion" :P)