NAS VS DAS for DAS usage?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Yeah, you can. When I setup my first NAS, I had it connected directly to my PC while I was building out 10 gigabit in the house.

QNAP TR-002 vs QNAP TS-431P.

I don't plan to connect it to home network, as i don't have an home network. So could the TS-431 act as a DAS? Could i directly connect it to my PC over ethernet? @Den-Fi

If i can connect the TS-431 to my pc over gigabit ethernet that would be really cool, that way i don't use up an usb port, and the NAS/DAS can be further away from my pc. (but only 125mb/s tho)

If the TS-431 also can be connected to pc over USB that would work too.

The plusses for both:

TR-002

+black

+meant to be used as das

+simpler

+smaller

+cheaper

-only 2 drive bays

TS-431

+4bay

+can act as a NAS (hopefully as a DAS too)

+better hardware

-bigger

-more expensive (only a bit thought)

-no usb 3.2, only 3.0

+but 3 usb ports, so you can connect external hdds to it

MY plan right now would be to go with TR-002, 12TB  (MAX 32TB as of now) of storage is good enough for me right now, and i could always connect the TR-002 to an QNAP NAS later on.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Yeah, you can. When I setup my first NAS, I had it connected directly to my PC while I was building out 10 gigabit in the house.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Nice.

One more question. I can see that the NAS has 2 gigabit ports.

Could i connect one of these to the pc, and the other to my laptop, and access the drives from both of them at the same time?

Yep.

38 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

I don't plan to connect it to home network, as i don't have an home network.

Do you not have a router? How do you access the internet?

Just now, Senzelian said:

Do you not have a router? How do you access the internet?

Fully 4G based solution (fully unlimited ofcourse) . 150mbit/s, faster than anything other in my current location. Also ping isn't too bad, 12ms.

37 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Could i connect one of these to the pc, and the other to my laptop

Are you comfortable setting up static addresses? You'll need to if there's no DHCP server.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Fully 4G based solution (fully unlimited ofcourse) . 150mbit/s, faster than anything other in my current location. Also ping isn't too bad, 12ms.

Oh, and you don't use a seperate LTE modem, but probably some sort of USB device, right?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

Are you comfortable setting up static addresses? You'll need to if there's no DHCP server.

Could you explain a bit more? Why would i need to set up static addresses on the laptop and PC, i would connect them directly to the NAS via ethernet, no switch inbetween, so NAS should see them no matter the ip addresses?

Just now, Senzelian said:

Oh, and you don't use a seperate LTE modem, but probably some sort of USB device, right?

ye

8 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Could you explain a bit more? Why would i need to set up static addresses on the laptop and PC, i would connect them directly to the NAS via ethernet, no switch inbetween, so NAS should see them no matter the ip addresses?

You'll need to change the IP of your PC to access the NAS.
The NAS comes with a standard IP, which is for example 10.5.5.1
Your Windows PC will automatically get an IP in the 169.x.x.x range (For Linux it's something else I think), which you'll need to change to be able to connect to the NAS.

If there was a DHCP server, this wouldn't be a problem, because both devices would be automatically set to an IP in the same range.

It's not really a problem either way tho. ? 

7 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

ye

Alright. Makes sense then. Sorry for asking so many questions :P 

14 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

That's not how networks work.

If you plan to do a direct P2P connection the two will likely not get IP addresses (maybe windows will get a self-assignable address in the 169.254.X.X/16 range but the NAS/DAS likely won't get anything).

For them to communicate there will either need to be a DHCP server where they can request an IP (generally you'd want your NAS to have a static IP anyways) but the client(s) won't have any address and won't be able to communicate with the server.

You would need to assign a network address for both the server and the devices you're looking to connect.

Personally if you're looking to set this up to behave like a DAS but over Ethernet then I'd create a Class A network with a /30 subnet on each port:

Server NIC1: 10.0.0.1/30 Desktop: 10.0.0.2/30
Server NIC2: 10.1.0.1/30  Laptop: 10.1.0.2/30

You'd have to label the cables so you don't mis-connect one network to the opposing network but otherwise it'd allow each to behave as a normal network but as a sort-of DAS when you connect your Laptop/Desktop.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's not how networks work.

If you plan to do a direct P2P connection the two will likely not get IP addresses (maybe windows will get a self-assignable address in the 169.254.X.X/16 range but the NAS/DAS likely won't get anything).

For them to communicate there will either need to be a DHCP server where they can request an IP (generally you'd want your NAS to have a static IP anyways) but the client(s) won't have any address and won't be able to communicate with the server.

You would need to assign a network address for both the server and the devices you're looking to connect.

Personally if you're looking to set this up to behave like a DAS but over Ethernet then I'd create a Class A network with a /30 subnet on each port:

Server NIC1: 10.0.0.1/30 Desktop: 10.0.0.2/30
Server NIC2: 10.1.0.1/30 Desktop: 10.1.0.2/30

You'd have to label the cables so you don't mis-connect one network to the opposing network but otherwise it'd allow each to behave as a normal network but as a sort-of DAS when you connect your Laptop/Desktop.

Ok if i do all that stuff will it change the ip address of only my Ethernet port, or will USB connected network / WIFI be affected?

Because i don't use my ethernet port anyway, so if i screw with that then it is fine.

Ok if i do all that stuff will it change the ip address of only my Ethernet port, or will USB connected network / WIFI be affected?

Because i don't use my ethernet port anyway, so if i screw with that then it is fine.

The ethernet port on your PC has it's own IP, MAC and subnet.
The USB-connected LTE modem isn't affected.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

These would be independent networks. Whatever you do to the Ethernet NIC won't affect your Wi-Fi NIC/USB NIC.

EDIT: Assuming your home network isn't in the 10.0.0.0/30 or 10.1.0.0/30 range. If your network exists in this range (like 10.0.0.0/24 or 10.1.0.0/24) then you'll have trouble on that other Wi-Fi network.)

Thanks for the help.

@Windows7ge @Senzelian  I will tag you if i receive my NAS and have trouble with the setup!

But i may still go with a DAS, my main concern right now is that gigabit port is only 125mb/s, but current harddrives are already 250MB/s, so i would bottleneck my transfer speeds wildly.

But auto backup features of NAS are also very enticing, and i could connect external storage devices to the NAS.

Thanks for the help.

@Windows7ge @Senzelian  I will tag you if i receive my NAS and have trouble with the setup!

But i may still go with a DAS, my main concern right now is that gigabit port is only 125mb/s, but current harddrives are already 250MB/s, so i would bottleneck my transfer speeds wildly.

But auto backup features of NAS are also very enticing, and i could connect external storage devices to the NAS.

What do you plan on using the NAS/DAS for?
The bandwith will most likely not be an issue unless you're moving really large files.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Thanks for the help.

Well, I mean, you could always go full custom and build a real DAS with SFF-8088 cables a HBA/RAID card and a SAS expander :D

EDIT: Would 3GB/s maximum bandwidth be enough?

6 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

What do you plan on using the NAS/DAS for?
The bandwith will most likely not be an issue unless you're moving really large files.

For moving my HDD out of my ITX case, into something external, more future upgradable (i only have a single 3.5inch bay) . I currently have 8 + 4TB of hdd.

And the features of the NAS i linked are nice, if i connect an SD card to it, it will automatically copy it over etc.

What i need storage mostly is large video files, but i currently only have 2TB of video files in total, and it is growing very slowly, so idk if i need a NAS. (2.87TB free of 7.27)

If i really think about it i might just get the simple cheap 2bay DAS, it should be good enough for me for a couple years, and if i ever get a QNAP NAS i could connect the DAS to that.