Change Header for Radiator fans?

Vynro

Hey guys, I am frustrated because my radiator fans that are all on my cpu 4 pin header (3 way splitter) and very loud. AI Suite 3 wont let those 3 fans run less than 100% and the motherboard i think makes the minimum 60! How can i go about getting these fans quieter?

I am thinking about getting a 10 way pwm spliiter, put all 3 rad fans, and 3 front intake fans on the splitter. If i plug this in to the cpu header should I be able to go lower then? Or should I put them on a chassis header? and if i do that, what do i do about the cpu fan warning in the bios! I have a little tiny VRM heatsink fan that came with my asus z390-E, should i put that into the cpu header instead of cpu_Opt? 

You should be able to disable the CPU_FAN header in your BIOS.

You could also get a resistor and lower the fanspeed that way.

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

You should be able to disable the CPU_FAN header in your BIOS.

You could also get a resistor and lower the fanspeed that way.

so then should I put my 6 fans through one controller onto say the chassis fan header?

2 minutes ago, Vynro said:

so then should I put my 6 fans through one controller onto say the chassis fan header?

Even tho I think it should be fine, I wouldn't do it. I don't know what those fan headers can handle and 6 fans might just be too much. I'd stick to 3 fans max per header.
Also do you know that you can then control them better?

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Even tho I think it should be fine, I wouldn't do it. I don't know what those fan headers can handle and 6 fans might just be too much. I'd stick to 3 fans max per header.
Also do you know that you can then control them better?

Well, currently i have 3 per header, though the cpu header wont let me lower the 3 rad fans below 60. So I was going to put a *powered* pwm fan splitter in and hook all 6 up and control them with pwm from one header, but having power provided through the hub! and because the cpu header wont let me go less than 60, i was thinking maybe if i did chassis header it might with the controller! and what do you mean by i can control them better?

1 minute ago, Vynro said:

Well, currently i have 3 per header, though the cpu header wont let me lower the 3 rad fans below 60. So I was going to put a *powered* pwm fan splitter in and hook all 6 up and control them with pwm from one header, but having power provided through the hub! and because the cpu header wont let me go less than 60, i was thinking maybe if i did chassis header it might with the controller! and what do you mean by i can control them better?

Sorry, I should've been more clear. What I meant is, that I don't know if you'll be able to go below 60% with one of the chassis fan header. You should try that out, before you buy a PWM controller. A powered PWM controller would definetily make sense here.

6 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Sorry, I should've been more clear. What I meant is, that I don't know if you'll be able to go below 60% with one of the chassis fan header. You should try that out, before you buy a PWM controller. A powered PWM controller would definetily make sense here.

Okay thanks! Makes a bit more sense now!

What fans are you using and which header is the splitter plugged into?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just get a powered hub. Also if you are using Asus suite, don’t use the auto fan speed thing. Sets the Lowest fan speed and won’t let you go lower. 

I have the issue but just use a hub with my noctua 2k fans on the cpu header. 

Doesnt work if you mix 3pin and 4pin though. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz