Doing a Windows 10 clean install form windows 7

Hi I’m trying to upgrade my parents laptop  from windows 7 to 10. Every time I try to upgrade from 7 to 10 it dose not work. His laptop is the asus u33jc with a i3. Because the upgrade path has been known to be buggy on this particular model I was wondering if I could simply backup all of his files and clean install windows 10. I have the free 64 bit version on a USB and I have his product key to activate it. I’m wondering if clean installing windows 10 will work. And if I backup his files on a external drive will they be ok. I want to fully wipe his pc and clean install windows 10. 

yep, backing up files then doing a fresh install is a great idea. It'll help clean up accumulated junk too.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hey,

You are awesome for helping your parents. I run a repair shop and you would not believe how often people come and spend money with me for simple stuff like this because they do not have anyone willing to help them out. Anyways, I recommend backing up all the important data and doing a fresh install of windows 10. The PC should run much smoother as a result.

Good luck! 

It may be a good idea to clean the entire drive during the installation.  Windows 7 and Windows 10 often create hidden partitions, and you may end up with several of those if you just tell the PC to do a clean install on the large one that currently houses the Win7 install.

Just go through the setup procedure, and you will eventually be greeted with a window that lets you select the partition you want to install on.  You'll most likely see the main Windows 7 partition, a boot partition, perhaps even a recovery partition.  Maybe some others as well, kinda hard to tell without knowing the entire laptop's history. 

Delete all partitions and then select the empty disc.  Windows setup will automatically create the partitions you need and start the installation.  .