Project Obsession: SFF Build ~ nkucz

nkucz

Welcome to my build log!

The goal of this build will be to create a portable, yet powerful, ITX format computer-- also focusing on silence. This build will not be focused on being attractive (sleeved cables, LED's, etc.) but it will 100% be clean. A huge part of this build will be focused on cable management, which is not an easy task to successfully complete in such a small enclosure. I want silence because, well, who wants a loud computer, and keeping it quite is easy if you aren't focusing on internal sexiness. Although internally it won't be beautiful, externally my setup looking good is important to me, stay tune for final pictures of my setup as well. Keep in mind it will look good and clean, just not color coordinated and such. I'm sick of seeing Fractal Node 304 builds on the web that just look horrible with cables everywhere (except MetallicAcid's build of course). Anyways, stay tuned for pictures and updates.

Parts List:

• Intel i5 4670k - Have
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI - Have
  • Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz - Have
  • MSI GTX 660 2GB (Temporarily) - Have
  • Fractal Node 304 (White) - Have
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120GB (Temporarily) - Have
  • Adata SX900 512GB - Need
  • Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD (Temporarily) - Have
  • Silverstone 550W Gold Series - Have
  • Noctua NH-L9i - Need

Extra Parts:

• Noctua NF-F12 - Need
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit OEM - Have

Peripherals:

• Asus PB Series PB23Q - Need
  • CM Storm QuickFire TK (MX Brown) - Need
  • Razer Deathadder 2013 - Have
  • Steelseries QCK Mouse Pad - Need

The reason behind naming it "Project Obsession" is very simple, I have Obsessive-Compulsion Disorder. I'm also very anal about my cable management, thus the name was created

Building should begin February 4th, 2014 and pictures will be uploaded that day or the next depending on how things go! I love feedback and suggestions so feel free to leave some below, I will respond. :D

~nkucz

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

This could turn out to be a pretty awesome build!

For what do you need the 500GB 840? Wouldn't it be possible to have the 500GB 840 or the 1TB WD Black? Or are you using the 1TB temp. so that you can later replace it with the 500GB 840? 

Also, I'd get something different than the G930, I found them to be pretty mediocre. Maybe a Func HS-260 or a nice combo between a decent headphone and a clip - on mic? 

But other than that, looking forward to this build log! Especially stoked because you're using a 304 instead of the Prodigy :) 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

This could turn out to be a pretty awesome build!

For what do you need the 500GB 840? Wouldn't it be possible to have the 500GB 840 or the 1TB WD Black? Or are you using the 1TB temp. so that you can later replace it with the 500GB 840? 

Also, I'd get something different than the G930, I found them to be pretty mediocre. Maybe a Func HS-260 or a nice combo between a decent headphone and a clip - on mic? 

But other than that, looking forward to this build log! Especially stoked because you're using a 304 instead of the Prodigy :)

I actually have this system built in a Prodigy right now, although it's a good case I wanted smaller. I planned on replacing the 1TB HDD with the 500GB SSD, so basically I will have 620GB of SSD and that's all I need. None of the peripherals are set in stone, so I will look into your suggestion! I just really wanted a wireless headset, but I change my mind a lot.  :rolleyes: Thanks for your feedback!

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

The reason behind naming it "Project OCD" is very simple, I have Obsessive-Compulsion Disorder. I'm also very anal about my cable management, thus the name was created

Has everybody on the internet OCD nowadays?  :huh:

Excuse me, but you're very anal? Is that a typo, or... :lol:

Has everybody on the internet OCD nowadays? :huh:

Excuse me, but you're very anal? Is that a typo, or... :lol:

I'm not sure if everyone does but I do! Also, "anal" informally means, basically picky. Look it up! Haha!

I'm not sure if everyone does but I do! Also, "anal" informally means, basically picky. Look it up! Haha!

LoL haha

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Well... First time  :lol:

i like, i like a lot

I sometimes use the pen from my wacom tablet to type cuz i'm too lazy to set it down :P

Well... First time  :lol:

oh the irony!

LoL haha

it's true seriously!

i like, i like a lot

why thank you kind sir!

Building began last night, everything installed except power supply, which comes in the mail today, and the video card. It will be up and running today, but cable management won't be 100% done because I still need to order the short cable kit, and shorter sata cables. Also decided which graphics card to get, going with a blower style card because I'm willing to sacrifice some video card temperature to keep the rest of the system cooler. 

Is it possible for you to change your upcoming video card into a GTX 780? Because I think upgrading from a GTX 660 to a 760 is like upgrading it to 670.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Is it possible for you to change your upcoming video card into a GTX 780? Because I think upgrading from a GTX 660 to a 760 is like upgrading it to 670.

I'm not sure if the 550W power supply would be able to handle a GTX 780, I definitely need a blower style cooler though. I'm thinking maybe a GTX 770.

This topic has the same power supply running a 780ti   :)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/90712-the-nuclear-football-4770k-780ti-itx/

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

This topic has the same power supply running a 780  :)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/90712-the-nuclear-football-4770k-780ti-itx/

Touche, however for my budget the GTX 770 is more reasonable, especially for the games I play I probably wouldn't need a GTX 780. Especially since I'm only playing on one monitor. I do indeed like the cooler the guy in that build used! Maybe I would be better off with that cooler and the NF-F12 as an exhaust to really get some air pumping, I will not be overclocking anyway. 

Here are some pictures of the system so far! The power supply was not delivered today like it was supposed to be so this is all I could do.  :angry:

Nf2OUuL.png

vU95RCA.png

XUZ0qKn.png

vd1w7HH.png

l5rySAV.png

axdLBfB.png

Cable management can be a pain the these cases.  My prodigy cased many curse words and almost throwing an old motherboard down a hill  +1

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Cable management can be a pain the these cases. My prodigy cased many curse words and almost throwing an old motherboard down a hill +1

Lol! I know it can't be perfect in such a small enclosure but I think I'm heading on the right track. The short cable kit will definetly help!

Lol! I know it can't be perfect in such a small enclosure but I think I'm heading on the right track. The short cable kit will definetly help!

You know where I could find a good short cable kit for my HX750? Also, I think you should wait for Audio Technica's new headsets to come out

ATH-ADG1: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/97d660ada89c32c8/index.html

ATH-AG1: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/568b166395264eb0/index.html

Linus' video: 

(Then again, these are $300 which is $200 more than your choice my maybe not lol :3)

You know where I could find a good short cable kit for my HX750? Also, I think you should wait for Audio Technica's new headsets to come out

ATH-ADG1: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/97d660ada89c32c8/index.html

ATH-AG1: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/568b166395264eb0/index.html

-Video Removed-

(Then again, these are $300 which is $200 more than your choice my maybe not lol :3)

I think you would have to make your own custom cables. The only short cable kit I have heard of is from Silverstone and only works with their power supplies. Also, to be honest I don't think I'm willing to spend that much on a headset! Thanks for the feedback.  :D

I finally decided which video card I want for this rig, I know I want a blower style cooler since the case is so small and I also want something quiet. I decided on the GTX 770 because it is right around the price point I'm looking at and I don't need anything more powerful quit frankly. Here she is...

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3771-KR

The power supply finally arrived yesterday and I have finished assembly! I think I did a decent job with cable management and actually don't need the short cable kit, tell me what you guys think so far.

h0FetE9.png

Lij13O2.png

m1Hez4I.png

XQ9V2QG.png

FrTKd5o.png

c5huCUq.png

up0NEMv.png

Wm18T9j.png

IMQJOYm.png

I think it went out really good, enough space for the mobo to breath. What temps are you getting in there with the stock cooler, i mean in games and browsing and such, not extreme tests :)? I'm asking because i'm thinking of going mitx but summers are pretty hot where i live so...

i5 4440 || Prolimatech Lynx w/ Noiseblocker BlacksilentPRO PL-PS || GA-Z87MX-D3H || 16GB HyperX Red & Savage || Asus GTX 970 Turbo OC @ 1403/7600 || 840 & WD 1TB Blue || Samson SR850 & Samson SR950 & ATH-M50 Red & Cloud II + Fiio e7 + Xonar U7 || Razer Tournament Edition 2014 & Kana v2 || Seasonic G 450 >> Nanoxia DS4

I think it went out really good, enough space for the mobo to breath. What temps are you getting in there with the stock cooler, i mean in games and browsing and such, not extreme tests :)? I'm asking because i'm thinking of going mitx but summers are pretty hot where i live so...

after I get done gaming I check it out sometimes, usually between 30-35 degrees, I will be getting the noctua L9i though just because the stock cooler is loud!

@nkucz, very nice. I see that even with a 140mm Sliverstone psu it's a tight fit with cabling. I guess a gpu backplate would make sense for longer cards?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

@nkucz, very nice. I see that even with a 140mm Sliverstone psu it's a tight fit with cabling. I guess a gpu backplate would make sense for longer cards?

YES! when I purchase the GTX 770 I will definitely be grabbing a backplate, I think that should protect it right?