PC to home theater long time issue

Go to solution Solved by UNOBerry,

@circeseye I think I found the solution. A few things:

• Turned off windows scaling. It would cut out with any scaling.
  • Changed my nvidia color settings to 8 bit, 4-2-2, limited.
  • Matched my nvidia display resolution to the the resolution I was trying to play in game to hold 60fps.

Had no cut outs with those settings.  But, I also had success direct to the TV at 4k, RGB, Full.  So maybe the C9 can hold that quality and still pass through dolby atmos surround to my receiver.  Thanks for the advice you provided.

Long time issue I have never been able to find a solution to.  Hoping you guys might have some ideas.

I have been connecting my PC to a home theater receiver for years to connect to a TV.  All the different combos of GPU, receiver, and TV that I have had have the same issue.  They will briefly loose signal and cut to black for a few seconds.  Sometimes this is really frequent and basically unusable. Other times it doesn't happen at all for a long time of use.  This happens at different resolutions, audio formats, HDR, and SDR.  I found a solution at one point.  I used an HDMI to the receiver for audio and a second HDMI to the TV for video (Done with combo 3 shown below).  This completely solved the issue but then I moved into a new house and I have to have a new setup.  My theater is on the opposite side of my house.  I use an HDMI to Ethernet converter to run long range to the opposite side of my house(Around 45 meters or 150 feet). Running another would require a display port to HDMI adapter and in my experience that can be finicky.  So I am hesitant to buy a second HDMI to Ethernet adapter to go with a display port adapter.  Considering that splitting the audio and video up to two separate cables fixed the issue it leads me to believe that it's a bandwidth issue.  But I have had this issue for so long I have had my combos use increasingly new HDMI cable iterations.  Any ideas on what could be done? Over the years I have had these combos:

Thanks in advance.

• Combo 1:
    • GPU: GTX 980
    • Receiver: Denon AVR-1910
    • TV: LG60lb7100
  • Combo 2:
    • GPU: GTX 1080ti
    • Receiver: Denon AVR-1910
    • TV: LG60lb7100
  • Combo 3:
    • Receiver: Yamaha RX-V581
    • TV: LG OLED60B6P
  • Combo 4:
    • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR686
  • Combo 5:
    • GPU: RTX 2080ti
    • Reveiver Onkyo TX-NR686

50 ft is the maximum reliable length of an HDMI cable.

Sounds like you may need an HDMI signal booster box?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

2 minutes ago, circeseye said:

you might need a hdmi booster/repeater for those long distance runs...and yes if 4k hdr cable length can be a issue
maybe something like this

That is why I am running over ethernet.  But I used to have the exact same issue over 3-6 feet cables. For testing purposes I could take my pc downstairs to the theater to eliminate the long distance.  I would almost certainly produce the issue.  I did take my PC down there once when Sekiro came out and had the issue.  This would be over a 6 foot HDMI 2.1 cable. 

4 minutes ago, UNOBerry said:

That is why I am running over ethernet.  But I used to have the exact same issue over 3-6 feet cables.

your still running distance even over ethernet it needs a boost
as for the shorter..bad/cheap cables? ive seen that before going black

hdmi with ethernet fixed mine with 4k hdr

3 minutes ago, circeseye said:

your still running distance even over ethernet it needs a boost

The adapters I have are made to run hdmi over ethernet for up to 1000 feet.  Plus i have had this issue with a 6 foot cable to my current setup.  I have dozens of cables that I can use to test all the same issue.  Same issue with probably over 50 cables over the course of 6 years.

4 minutes ago, UNOBerry said:

The adapters I have are made to run hdmi over ethernet for up to 1000 feet.  Plus i have had this issue with a 6 foot cable to my current setup.

wth adapter do you have? only hdmi to ethernets extenders i see are for about 115ft for 4k hdr and about 330ft for 1080 and even those are 200 to 300 dollars

2 minutes ago, circeseye said:

wth adapter do you have? only hdmi to ethernets extenders i see are for about 115ft for 4k hdr and about 330ft for 1080 and even those are 200 to 300 dollars

Looks like i miss remembered my distance.  I haven't had to mess with it since it was still well over my needs.  I have the Av Access 4kex70 h2.  70m

2 minutes ago, UNOBerry said:

Looks like i miss remembered my distance.  I haven't had to mess with it since it was still well over my needs.  I have the Av Access 4kex70 h2.  70m

reading reviews on that. some people are complaining about that exact problem of random black screen.
as for the 6ft runs what hdmi's were you using i switched to hdmi with ethernet to fix the random black screen flash on my 4k

Just now, circeseye said:

reading reviews on that. some people are complaining about that exact problem of random black screen.
as for the 6ft runs what hdmi's were you using i switched to hdmi with ethernet to fix the random black screen flash on my 4k

I have tried a lot of HDMIs.  I could take my PC down there to test.  I am more interested in fixing it at that level first.  Then I will add the range variable back in.  If it was just the range that caused my issue I would understand and work on shortening my line, higher quality ethernet, and higher quality hdmi.  First I need to figure out why all the HDMIs I own can produce this issue over 6 feet.  Do you have a specific HDMI cable you might recommend?  That could be a good start.

well i got these

one to go from comp to receiver and another to go to receiver to tv. i was using just high speed hdmi and always had issues. (i went through a lot of hdmi's before getting them with ethernet)
you might need this type at every point where your using a hdmi cable

14 minutes ago, circeseye said:

well i got these

one to go from comp to receiver and another to go to receiver to tv. i was using just high speed hdmi and always had issues. (i went through a lot of hdmi's before getting them with ethernet)
you might need this type at every point where your using a hdmi cable

Shoot, that is what I have.  I did go down to the theater and connected direct to the TV.  So far no issues but that has been the case before direct to the receiver.  I guess I'll keep testing.  I think it has something to do with a receivers handshake with the TV.

5 minutes ago, UNOBerry said:

Shoot, that is what I have.  I did go down to the theater and connected direct to the TV.  So far no issues but that has been the case before direct to the receiver.  I guess I'll keep testing.  I think it has something to do with a receivers handshake with the TV.

ohhh on that ... doing a search on handshake issue this came up a lot
Using HDMI switchers and long cables can add to handshake issues.

Just now, circeseye said:

ohhh on that ... doing a search on handshake issue this came up a lot
Using HDMI switchers and long cables can add to handshake issues.

Oh I believe it.  But I get the issue with a short cable too with no adapters.

Just now, UNOBerry said:

Oh I believe it.  But I get the issue with a short cable too with no adapters.

maybe change what starts up first?
this is another thing to do
Change the order in which you turn on your equipment.  For instance, if you always turn on your TV first, then your home theater receiver, and then the set top box, reverse the order.

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

maybe change what starts up first?
this is another thing to do
Change the order in which you turn on your equipment.  For instance, if you always turn on your TV first, then your home theater receiver, and then the set top box, reverse the order.

Yeah, I have tried that.  On all the receivers I have owned basically.  Right now I have it ran HDMI over ethernet direct to the TV and it is running perfect. I'm tempted to just leave it this way for now.  Come black friday time I plan to get the new c9 OLED and it has dolby atmos pass through via ARC2.  I might solve this problem by skipping the receiver for PC.  I'm gonna keep looking into though becasue it's something that I ave always been curious about.  I bet I could take my AppleTV upstairs and plug into the the hdmi over ethernet and not have any problems to the receiver. Just as a test.

• Matched my nvidia display resolution to the the resolution I was trying to play in game to hold 60fps.

Had no cut outs with those settings.  But, I also had success direct to the TV at 4k, RGB, Full.  So maybe the C9 can hold that quality and still pass through dolby atmos surround to my receiver.  Thanks for the advice you provided.

1 hour ago, UNOBerry said:

if you had to do that then its definitely a bandwidth issue. im not sure a new tv will fix that. but who knows

5 hours ago, circeseye said:

if you had to do that then its definitely a bandwidth issue. im not sure a new tv will fix that. but who knows

I agree it's a bandwidth issue.  But, I had zero issues direct  connect to the TV.  Changing the sound settings did nothing so stereo vs dolby atmos isn't the issue.  My point about the tv was that it was fixed connecting direct to my current TV. So, I am hoping that connecting direct to a tv with dolby atmos will allow me to be fixed with RGB full and dolby atmos. IDK why it would work if it works on this TV.  But I always have 4-2-0 to the receiver if I have to.