New Shool/Allround device

Hypoxz

Hi I was looking to buy a new school/allround device for in class and at home etc

im going to use it for

- school apps

- some gaming (csgo, maybe gta v) just light not necessary 

watching videos

taking notes

browsing

photo and video editing

coding

etc

im struggling between an iPad and a laptop because the new iPad Pro 2020 (when it’s released) is more than powerful enough for all sorts of apps but the software is just not there yet but it is portable and stuff and the Apple Pencil 2 is great

so what is my best option

ipad Pro 2020 w/ Apple Pencil and prob a Logitech keyboard case

or a light long battery life pretty powerful laptop under a 1000€

and if the best pick is a laptop then which one I want a nice design pretty light less than 2kg and 13, 14 or 15(,6) inch screen and a good battery life

Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Probably used one unless you can find a good deal on a new one.

You could also look at a T or X series, but those may be too heavy for you (even though the TxxxS ones are pretty thin and light).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Probably used one unless you can find a good deal on a new one.

You could also look at a T or X series, but those may be too heavy for you (even though the TxxxS ones are pretty thin and light).

Can’t find any of these in my country(Netherlands) but the iPad is not a good option? And what about Huawei matebook d14 i7 8gb 256gb Ssd(kinda low tho) mx150 950eur

and I saw the matebook 13 love design and all but no dedicated gpu do I need this for my use 750eur

2 minutes ago, Hypoxz said:

Can’t find any of these in my country(Netherlands) but the iPad is not a good option? And what about Huawei matebook d14 i7 8gb 256gb Ssd(kinda low tho) mx150 950eur

and I saw the matebook 13 love design and all but no dedicated gpu do I need this for my use 750eur

I wouldn't get the Matebook.

You *could* get an iPad but a Chromebook is a better computer than an iPad. Call me biased, but at least you can run desktop apps on a Chromebook, as well as put Linux on it if you need a bit more.

I can almost guarantee that you can find a Thinkpad basically anywhere in the world, especially in the Netherlands.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You *could* get an iPad but a Chromebook is a better computer than an iPad. Call me biased, but at least you can run desktop apps on a Chromebook, as well as put Linux on it if you need a bit more.

I can almost guarantee that you can find a Thinkpad basically anywhere in the world, especially in the Netherlands.

Why not the matebook cuz the specs seem good and I really don’t want a chrome book still bad app support and I’m gonna look deeper but the only ones avail I saw were 1500+ euros

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I found some 900 to 1000 euro ish think pads but I really hate the design that red thing in the keyboard it makes me puke

Why not the matebook cuz the specs seem good and I really don’t want a chrome book still bad app support and I’m gonna look deeper but the only ones avail I saw were 1500+ euros

The Chromebook was just an example, not a recommendation. Tbh if you think you can do everything on an iPad you can absolutly use a Chromebook as a daily driver, but that's besides the point...

Where are you looking? You probably can't get a brand-new, latest Thinkpad for your budget, but you can get one that's just a year or two older, new or used, for your budget.

I wouldn't get the Matebook because there's lots of devices with good specs on paper, so it's not special in that regard, and when it breaks you're fucked. At least with a Thinkpad, if you drop it on the ground, even if it somehow *did* break, you can just send it off to Lenovo and get it repair. Good luck even contacting Huawei about a repair.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, Hypoxz said:

I found some 900 to 1000 euro ish think pads but I really hate the design that red thing in the keyboard it makes me puke

Why do people hate on the Trackpoint? If you don't like it just don't use it lol.

You'll wish you got a Thinkpad after you drop your Matebook or iPad from a meter up and the screen breaks and the whole device becomes unusable.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

The Chromebook was just an example, not a recommendation. Tbh if you think you can do everything on an iPad you can absolutly use a Chromebook as a daily driver, but that's besides the point...

Where are you looking? You probably can't get a brand-new, latest Thinkpad for your budget, but you can get one that's just a year or two older, new or used, for your budget.

I wouldn't get the Matebook because there's lots of devices with good specs on paper, so it's not special in that regard, and when it breaks you're fucked. At least with a Thinkpad, if you drop it on the ground, even if it somehow *did* break, you can just send it off to Lenovo and get it repair. Good luck even contacting Huawei about a repair.

I’m looking on coolblue.nl and bol.com

and I’m pretty safe and secure at handling my devices

and de red dot you said don’t use it but I really hate the looks...

5 minutes ago, Hypoxz said:

I’m looking on coolblue.nl and bol.com

and I’m pretty safe and secure at handling my devices

and de red dot you said don’t use it but I really hate the looks...

Not sure why it bugs you so much, but you can get black cap so it blends in with the keyboard.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I looked good and can’t find anything without that red dot and I also don’t like that thinkpad logo...

and Huawei seemed good to me cuz I also have a Huawei phone and the designs good price and specs and I can just contact the site where I ordered it to let it get fixed

Not sure why it bugs you so much, but you can get black cap so it blends in with the keyboard.

And the laptop is pretty thick compared to for example matebook 13/14d

I looked good and can’t find anything without that red dot and I also don’t like that thinkpad logo...

and Huawei seemed good to me cuz I also have a Huawei phone and the designs good price and specs and I can just contact the site where I ordered it to let it get fixed

Dude, don't get the Matebook. Even if you don't want a Thinkpad there are much better options than that. Dell XPS 13/15, Lenovo Yogas if you want a 2-in-1, Zenbooks, Surface Pros, Surface Laptops, etc etc etc.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

And the laptop is pretty thick compared to for example matebook 13/14d

Yeah, but it actually has IO compared to the Matebook.

Why would you want anything thinner than a USB port? Would you rather add a few milimeters, or carry around $100+ worth of dongles to connect a USB drive an external display?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Dude, don't get the Matebook. Even if you don't want a Thinkpad there are much better options than that. Dell XPS 13/15, Lenovo Yogas if you want a 2-in-1, Zenbooks, Surface Pros, Surface Laptops, etc etc etc.

Dell XP’s: too expensive yoga: not powerful enough on gpu side

zenbooms don’t have dedicated gpu

surface too expensive (I don’t want a laptop with a pentium for 1000 euros)

but what is so wrong with the matebook( it does have normal usb at least the 14d does

Dell XP’s: too expensive yoga: not powerful enough on gpu side

zenbooms don’t have dedicated gpu

surface too expensive (I don’t want a laptop with a pentium for 1000 euros)

but what is so wrong with the matebook( it does have normal usb at least the 14d does

XPS: Not too expensive, especially if you get a last-gen one

Yoga: You don't need a powerful GPU for the stuff you want; you can game on a desktop, and you'll save battery life in a laptop

Zenbooks: Same as Yoga

Surface: That's the Surface Go, and those are overpriced; the Pros and Laptops aren't too bad (though I personally wouldn't buy one)

There's nothing *wrong* with the Matebook, there's just much better stuff for the same price or less. If you can snag one on a big sale (33%+ off), then they're sort of worth it.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Yoga: You don't need a powerful GPU for the stuff you want; you can game on a desktop, and you'll save battery life in a laptop

Surface: That's the Surface Go, and those are overpriced; the Pros and Laptops aren't too bad (though I personally wouldn't buy one)

There's nothing *wrong* with the Matebook, there's just much better stuff for the same price or less. If you can snag one on a big sale (33%+ off), then they're sort of worth it.

XP’s is 1000 euros if you pick an i3 and 4gb of ram so not an option

video editing in premiere pro? No gpu?
zenbook is then an option I like those and what about vivobooks?

and the matebook 13 is currently 25% off 

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

And if possible like ue4 and other coding/game/ web coding stuff 

XP’s is 1000 euros if you pick an i3 and 4gb of ram so not an option

video editing in premiere pro? No gpu?
zenbook is then an option I like those and what about vivobooks?

and the matebook 13 is currently 25% off 

There's no way you have an XPS for a grand with an i3 and 4GB of RAM...my mom bought one with an i5 and 8gb for 1000 CAD, which is aprox 687 euro...

Thin and light + video editing = bad experience. Do it on a desktop or a gaming/workstation laptop.

IIRC Vivobooks are cheap crap, but maybe that's changed idk.

That's a decent deal, still wouldn't get it.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

There's no way you have an XPS for a grand with an i3 and 4GB of RAM...my mom bought one with an i5 and 8gb for 1000 CAD, which is aprox 687 euro...

Thin and light + video editing = bad experience. Do it on a desktop or a gaming/workstation laptop.

IIRC Vivobooks are cheap crap, but maybe that's changed idk.

That's a decent deal, still wouldn't get it.

On the dell site it’s really 1000 euros starting price for that spec and on other sites it’s not for sale Netherlands is kinda expensive on some stuff 

with an i7 and mx150 you can do some video editing right? 

but I can do all my requirements with for example an i5 uhh 620 8gb ram

except gaming and video editing(except for maybe some light)

I can do photoshop right!?

On the dell site it’s really 1000 euros starting price for that spec and on other sites it’s not for sale Netherlands is kinda expensive on some stuff 

with an i7 and mx150 you can do some video editing right? 

but I can do all my requirements with for example an i5 uhh 620 8gb ram

except gaming and video editing(except for maybe some light)

I can do photoshop right!?

I can do Source games, photoshop, and probably video editing (haven't tried yet) on my 6th gen i5 with the iGPU. You'd be fine with a modern i7 and iGPU; an MX 150 will just make it better.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I can do Source games, photoshop, and probably video editing (haven't tried yet) on my 6th gen i5 with the iGPU. You'd be fine with a modern i7 and iGPU; an MX 150 will just make it better.

And i5 is this also fine with I gpu like 8th gen

And i5 is this also fine with I gpu like 8th gen

Yeah, it will be.

You may wanna look up some benchmarks first, and obviously you'd use a desktop for more serious stuff. An ultrabook isn't meant for content creation and gaming.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Yeah, it will be.

You may wanna look up some benchmarks first, and obviously you'd use a desktop for more serious stuff. An ultrabook isn't meant for content creation and gaming.

Yeah I can use my desktop for that stuff and this one for school browsing some productivity etc.  I’m gonna look for a decent laptop with i5 or i7 8th or 9th gen at least 256gb storage preferably more 8gb of ram or 16/upgradable

and intel bud 620 or if possible mx150/mx250