How do I shift my YouTube content style without losing fans

Cael

Currently I make gaming funny moments videos with my friends, and I want to continue doing so for as long as possible. However as time passes on and they get jobs or go to University, I know that they wont want to play games as they have other things going on in their lives. As this happens I would want to continue doing YouTube but I believe that solo gaming videos would be quite boring as there is no interaction.  If I never meet new friends that enjoy gaming in "adult life" how would I go about shifting content styles?

would it be a more gradual process, or a complete shift in the style of content, say for example gaming to real-life style content

Just gradually bring new people in while the old friends are still with you. Don't make a bunch of videos with new faces all of a sudden out of nowhere, maybe make an update video to say what is going to happen with the channel.

You simply can't avoid losing "fans", there will always be some of them who subscribed just for that one friend of yours who will likely be leaving... Or just don't like the new folks that you bring in.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Just gradually bring new people in while the old friends are still with you. Don't make a bunch of videos with new faces all of a sudden out of nowhere, maybe make an update video to say what is going to happen with the channel.

You simply can't avoid losing "fans", there will always be some of them who subscribed just for that one friend of yours who will likely be leaving... Or just don't like the new folks that you bring in.

Good points.

My suggestion would be to slowly change the style of your content over time - giving viewers lots of time to adapt - and also giving you time to see what new content your viewers do - and do not - enjoy.

Start with a quick update video saying you're going to try this new thing, and then introduce one new type of video (Let's say it's a Solo LP, or a collab with a new person, etc - whatever you decide). Run that new type of video say once per week and see how it does. Then slowly introduce more types of videos as time goes on.

When your friends eventually do want to leave, make a backlog for that moment, so that they don't all just disappear overnight - that way you can spread it out.

And when you learn that they're finally leaving, do another update video and let people know you've still got some content, but these people are moving on with their lives. Ideally by that point, you'll already have plenty of content to replace them with.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Good points.

My suggestion would be to slowly change the style of your content over time - giving viewers lots of time to adapt - and also giving you time to see what new content your viewers do - and do not - enjoy.

Start with a quick update video saying you're going to try this new thing, and then introduce one new type of video (Let's say it's a Solo LP, or a collab with a new person, etc - whatever you decide). Run that new type of video say once per week and see how it does. Then slowly introduce more types of videos as time goes on.

When your friends eventually do want to leave, make a backlog for that moment, so that they don't all just disappear overnight - that way you can spread it out.

And when you learn that they're finally leaving, do another update video and let people know you've still got some content, but these people are moving on with their lives. Ideally by that point, you'll already have plenty of content to replace them with.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Thanks for the advice guys!