Thin and Powerfull 15in laptop under 2500$

Hi,

Read the laptop RTX edition guide but I'm still stuck on a laptop choice.

I was set on getting the Asus Strix Hero III 15 inch laptop but I didn't see it on the list and Asus told me the i9 isn't available in the US so I started doubting myself.

I'm looking for a laptop that light (I travel a Lot), and Powerfull enough to do some like graphic design and then game on the side. Games I play are Wow, Destiny, and borderlands 3 soon ?

Any help would be appreciated!

ThinkPad X1 Extreme is the defacto choice with such a large budget. Its portable, very durable and reliable, has business grade features like water/dirt/sand resistance, can withstand shock and impact without issue, can withstand drops. Has a large battery, runs quiet and, with an undervolt, cool as well.

43 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

ThinkPad X1 Extreme is the defacto choice with such a large budget. Its portable, very durable and reliable, has business grade features like water/dirt/sand resistance, can withstand shock and impact without issue, can withstand drops. Has a large battery, runs quiet and, with an undervolt, cool as well.

Awesome let me look it up

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

Ok so a quick question would be if the 1650 max q would be sufficient for some light graphic design and some of the games? If yes then I'm sold

5 minutes ago, Jcirax1 said:

Ok so a quick question would be if the 1650 max q would be sufficient for some light graphic design and some of the games? If yes then I'm sold

Absolutely. It performs slightly ahead of a 1060MaxQ

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Absolutely. It performs slightly ahead of a 1060MaxQ

Wonderful thanks!

1 minute ago, Jcirax1 said:

Wonderful thanks!

No problem. Once you get it, just download Intel's XTU utility, follow an undervolting guide (or ask me directly) and you'll have reasonable thermals in a quiet device with solid gaming and productivity performance and outstanding build quality. Not to mention the now legendary ThinkPad keyboard

3 hours ago, Jcirax1 said:

Hi,

Read the laptop RTX edition guide but I'm still stuck on a laptop choice.

I was set on getting the Asus Strix Hero III 15 inch laptop but I didn't see it on the list and Asus told me the i9 isn't available in the US so I started doubting myself.

I'm looking for a laptop that light (I travel a Lot), and Powerfull enough to do some like graphic design and then game on the side. Games I play are Wow, Destiny, and borderlands 3 soon ?

Any help would be appreciated!

I suggest one of the below laptops:

ThinkPad X1 Extreme

If you want better graphics and more future proofing in terms of gaming performance, then:

Alienware m15

MSI GS65

I personally had the Alienware m15 before upgrading to my current Alienware Area-51m. I had the version with the 90WHr and the i9-8950HK CPU with HIDevolution's thermal upgrade "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads" and with a -125mV Undervolt using Intel XTU, that laptop performed like a champ, it never exceeded 89-91C during gaming sessions or video encoding, had a superb battery life and was super thin and light powerful little beast.

I suggest you tick that thermal upgrade I mentioned above for any laptop you'd buy as it reduces temps by as much as 15C.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

The only issue with the GS65 is that MSI, in their infinite wisdom, put the motherboard in upside down so you have to remove the motherboard to access anything. It’s otherwise a pretty good thin and light. It’s what I was going to get before I went all in with ThinkPads.

I appreciate the feedback. I bought the X1 Extreme Gen 2. I will touch back once I get it set up for advice.

8 minutes ago, Jcirax1 said:

I appreciate the feedback. I bought the X1 Extreme Gen 2. I will touch back once I get it set up for advice.

Perfect! Congrats man!

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Finally got the laptop, took Lenovo almost a month to get it to me.

I upgraded the Ram and added an m.2 sad.

I had the damn thing blue screen on me twice in 2 days and anti-malware service executable is hogging CPU like crazy....I thought they would have solved that problem by now. Any thoughts

IMG_20191003_174953.jpg

IMG_20191003_175013.jpg

MVIMG_20191005_063344.jpg

IMG_20191003_171058.jpg

45 minutes ago, Jcirax1 said:

Hi Guys,

Finally got the laptop, took Lenovo almost a month to get it to me.

I upgraded the Ram and added an m.2 sad.

I had the damn thing blue screen on me twice in 2 days and anti-malware service executable is hogging CPU like crazy....I thought they would have solved that problem by now. Any thoughts

Reinstall Windows. You don't need any of the bloatware any laptops come preinstalled with.

I would highly suggest trying Linux.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

In the end I ended up asking Lenovo for a replacement. The ram died and motherboard fried 4 days in.....my luck