Storinator Price

Go to solution Solved by wildenick,

I guess we can probably close this topic now.

If anyone is still interested, i contacted 45Drives directly and asked about prices. 

Quote from their Email respond:

"45 Drives offers Storinator® enclosures, disassembled and unsupported for self-build enthusiasts.  They include the steel chassis and drive cabling.

Our Storinator® enclosure costs are as follows:

AV15 - $1121.42 USD

Q30  - $1401.68 USD

S45  - $1630.32 USD

XL60 - $1830.32 USD

+ Shipping

We do not offer customizable enclosures."

Thanks everyone for your answers :)

Hello everyone. A small disclaimer at first... I am asking only out of curiosity. I need some storage solution and recently youtube "recommended" me a couple of videos where Linus installs Storinators for another youtubers. Now, i am living in Austria and at the moment we do not have (at least as far as i know) any similar companies that provide anything similar.

So, i go to 45drives webpage - AV15 Configuration - Base Configuration and what i see... more than 2500 $ without drives, without any additional support or warranty, without config and setup, without OS (freeNAS), no redundant SSD. Again out of curiosity, i compared our current prices for the same components they use in AV15.

Mobo: 1151 S SUPERMICRO X11SSH-CTF - 428 EUR

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1220 - 213 EUR

Power supply: Corsair RM650 - 87 EUR

RAM: they do not specify what 8 GB stick is used, but the most expensive ECC UDIMM DDR4 2400MHz (and that`s assuming with 1220 v6, however in spec sheet it says v5 with 2400 Memory) stick that we have is

Kingston DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2400, CL17-17-17, ECC - 142 EUR

SSD: there is also no exact model, but if they use the same one for redundancy (there are 2 options: 1 - single ssd 120 GB; 2 - single ssd + redundant ssd), then the price difference is 146 $ (132 EUR)   

Overall it is about 1002 EUR or (according to our current 06.09.2019 exchange rate) 1105 $

So another more than 1400 $ is for Case and obviously SAS expanders/cables. I understand that case is a custom one, but still, why so expensive, especially for only 15 drives? 

And again i ask only out of curiosity, maybe i am missing something ;)    

26 minutes ago, wildenick said:

Hello everyone. A small disclaimer at first... I am asking only out of curiosity. I need some storage solution and recently youtube "recommended" me a couple of videos where Linus installs Storinators for another youtubers. Now, i am living in Austria and at the moment we do not have (at least as far as i know) any similar companies that provide anything similar.

So, i go to 45drives webpage - AV15 Configuration - Base Configuration and what i see... more than 2500 $ without drives, without any additional support or warranty, without config and setup, without OS (freeNAS), no redundant SSD. Again out of curiosity, i compared our current prices for the same components they use in AV15.

RAM: they do not specify what 8 GB stick is used, but the most expensive ECC UDIMM DDR4 2400MHz (and that`s assuming with 1220 v6, however in spec sheet it says v5 with 2400 Memory) stick that we have is

SSD: there is also no exact model, but if they use the same one for redundancy (there are 2 options: 1 - single ssd 120 GB; 2 - single ssd + redundant ssd), then the price difference is 146 $ (132 EUR)   

Overall it is about 1002 EUR or (according to our current 06.09.2019 exchange rate) 1105 $

So another more than 1400 $ is for Case and obviously SAS expanders/cables. I understand that case is a custom one, but still, why so expensive, especially for only 15 drives? 

the spare is for lots of other stuff, such as paying for R&D, putting the whole system together, making the case itself, paying the employees etc. 45drives needs to break even so the extra money goes towards paying fixed costs (such as rent of location, electricity bill (big companies get billed for a different kind of power, which is actual power, not apparent as they use large AC motor's which have a crappy power factor))

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

45Drives servers are definitely a premium product. The case is made by Protocase and is probably the best there is in rack mount as far as quality and design. I'm also not aware of alternative that utilizes the same easy drive mounting mechanism. I don't think anyone is filling data centers with these; their target clientele seem to be small business and research outfits that need one or two servers in which case the premium price is worth it for a premium product.

That is true. But i am also pretty sure that companies usually don`t by items or materials for regular taxed prices or have tax returns. And as harryk mentioned about premium price, i think that most of it goes for premium.

Anyway, i searched for another case alternatives and decided to go with one of our German neighbors: Fantec or Inter-Tech.

FANTEC SRC-3168X07 - 16x3.5/2.5 Hot-Swap plus 2x2.5 internal - 301EUR (335$)

Inter-Tech 3U 3416 - 16x3.5/2.5 Hot-Swap plus 3x2.5 internal - 379EUR (422$)

Yes, they look kinda standard, no custom colors or front logo, but this thing will be hidden in a rack in my storeroom, so much for that design (in my case). 

As of right now, for the same config:

Mobo: 1151 S SUPERMICRO X11SSH-CTF

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1220 v6

Power supply: Corsair RM650

RAM: 2x16GB Samsung ECC 2400

SSD: 1 x Samsung SSD SM883 240GB (don`t know what 45Drives use)

HDD: 8 x Seagate IronWolf 12TB (for AV15 i chose 8 x Seagate Exos 12TB, there is no option for IronWolf)

i get following prices including taxes and shipping costs: 

with Fantec case - about 4486EUR (4994$

with Inter-Tech case - about 4564EUR (5080$)

Storinator AV15 - 6248$ (5612EUR) considering 120GB SSD and Exos HDDs and probably xeon 1220 v5 with 2133 memory.

Anyway, thank you for your replies. I think i found my winner :) 

On 9/6/2019 at 2:03 PM, wildenick said:

Is it just me or did you leave out the raid controller? 45Drives as to my knowledge doesen't use expanders. And raid controllers or HBA like rocket raid 750 are not exactly cheap. If you work 10 hours to make a case what do you think a "fair" price would be? Assuming you could actually reach the same quallity as 45Drives.. (Not judging..)

This is a typical "You get what you pay for" example. Protocase can make almost anything. I've used them self to make some seriously custom cases that hold 3 motherboards 3 PSUs + drives shared amongst the systems.

You also need to consider all the taxes 45Drives/Protocase have to pay. In the terms of taxes 45Drives/ Protocase will be responsible for paying the state taxes on everything you buy. Think if you had to do that yourself and have the IRS on you're door at every little screw up?

10 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Is it just me or did you leave out the raid controller?

AV15 Base model doesn`t have additional card controller. Enhanced and Turbo models - yes, they clearly write HBA Card (LSI 9305 12Gb/s or LSI 9361 12Gb/s RAID). But mobo in base config (X11SSH-CTF) has 8xSATA + 8xSAS (LSI SAS 3008) ports. They use directly wired cables, as they mention in the spec sheet: https://www.45drives.com/pdf/StorinatorAV15_Base_TechSpecs.pdf

So, there is no any additional HBA/RAID card. Just 8+7 direct connections + 1 obligatory SSD. 

20 hours ago, wildenick said:

hat is true. But i am also pretty sure that companies usually don`t by items or materials for regular taxed prices or have tax returns. And as harryk mentioned about premium price, i think that most of it goes for premium.

I mean Walmart buy a million of something and sells it at rock bottom pricing. BUT that doesn't always work depending on the type of business. I work for a company called JDS industries. We specialize in memorabilia and trophy supplies. We basically sell the stuff to make awards and trophies. When customers buy box quantities, they get a bit of a deal, or if they buy more than, then they get an even better deal. But not all of the customers do that, because its based on what the business needs. 

To my understanding they dont have to pay sales tax on the stuff they buy, because legally they would be a reseller, I think. However, they would have to pay duties/tariffs on stuff they bring in to the US. They have to pay their employees, rents, utilities, taxes (Payroll, unemployment tax, business licences), they might pay benefits (insurance, 401K, etc). Add all of that up and they have to tack that on to the price. 

Keep in mind, not only are you paying for hardware. Your paying for the knowledge of knowing its all going to work. That some expert has engineered the product to do what its intended. Its the same reason some one buy a pre built computer from Dell. Dell has built computers for years, they are experts in the field (Not an endorsement of Dell, I wouldn't buy a pre built ever), and you have experts standing behind you if you have an issue, at least for 1 year, as thats generally the warranty period in the US. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Interesting... Now you gave me even more questions to argue about... ?

I`ll ask something else though...

"Curiosity killed the cat"...

What do you think about the "JellyFish" then, considering everything written above?

• 3 weeks later...

I guess we can probably close this topic now.

If anyone is still interested, i contacted 45Drives directly and asked about prices. 

Quote from their Email respond:

"45 Drives offers Storinator® enclosures, disassembled and unsupported for self-build enthusiasts.  They include the steel chassis and drive cabling.

Our Storinator® enclosure costs are as follows:

AV15 - $1121.42 USD

Q30  - $1401.68 USD

S45  - $1630.32 USD

XL60 - $1830.32 USD

+ Shipping

We do not offer customizable enclosures."

Thanks everyone for your answers :)