Unable to run 4 Sticks of memory.

Having an issue with running 4 Sticks of memory in my motherboard.

I have ran 2 sticks in my motherboard for well over a year and I have had no issues so I decided to go ahead and buy another kit of memory. as soon as it was installed firefox would start crashing tabs and then not too long after I would receive a BSOD with different exception codes but the weird thing is when they appeared is the screen was purple with a green border. I have tested both kits out in the two known working slots and both sets boots fine when only 2 sticks installed but go unstable when all 4 installed and with XMP and gameboost turned off. CMOS has been cleared after all failed attempts

Trying to figure out if it is a BIOS issue or a hardware issue

Memory: Trident z RGB 2x (DDR4 - 3200 8gbx2) for 32 gb total

Motherboard: MSI X470 gaming plus ms-7b79

BIOS: e7b79ams.a30 (Build date 04/23/2018)

CPU: AMD 2700

Technology is both a gift and a curse. do not let the old ways die as you never know when they may be the only way to perform a taks.

Dunno how much it'll help in your case but update your BIOS and see if anything changes. Not saying it'll be representative of your experience, but I remember @pinksnowbirdie having issues with his motherboard recognizing his second stick of RAM until he updated his BIOS.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Yeah. I was looking at the history of the bios updates and a lot of them were for memory compatibility. Plus on the upside if I do decide to upgrade to Ryzen 3rd gen my motherboard will already have the compatible bios to run it out of the box. Not needing PCIe 4th gen yet.

Technology is both a gift and a curse. do not let the old ways die as you never know when they may be the only way to perform a taks.

turn the voltage up on the RAM, XMP is for intel, while AMD have AMP, XMP will work with 2 sticks, for 4 sticks normally need another +0.20v minumum with a AMD CPU

8 hours ago, XHT_001 said:

turn the voltage up on the RAM, XMP is for intel, while AMD have AMP, XMP will work with 2 sticks, for 4 sticks normally need another +0.20v minumum with a AMD CPU

Thanks for the tip. Just updated the Bios and then when I install the second kit I will up the voltage for the second kit.

Enable XMP or DOCP ( same thing), set DDR Voltage to 1.35 or 1.2 depending on what the stick are rated to, set Vcore SOC to 1.1, set DDR clock speed to 3000mhz, set timings to auto and see if it post. Then download Memtest64 and test the RAM and check ''stop on error''. Let it run for 15 minutes.

Edit: If Memtest doesnt find errors, try memory rated speed and timings but you may not be able to run 4 sticks at the rated speed in some rare cases.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

Noticing that my memory running at 1.2v but kit specified 1.35 and unable to manually change voltage for some odd reason

DRAM Voltage is probably on auto, write 1.35 instead, sometimes + and - or up and down doesnt work, you really have to write it down with the keyboard numbers.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

Unable to even type in the voltage. Had to back down the clock speed to get it to stabilize. The kits are rated to 3200 but I think if I remeber correctly I set it to 2133 and it was able to stabilize

Well I think i have it stable for now. Running at 3133 with 1.35v. even though kits are rated 3200 at 2 sticks it looks like that was the problem was the frequency. Using recommended timings as printed on the box and Running Memtest64 for stability testing then going to follow up with 3d mark to test overall stability.

Thank you everyone for your input and I will be back if I run into more problems. As my dad said to me this morning, "I'm glad you are having problems. You learn more when you have problems"

1 hour ago, jakemaster1390 said:

As my dad said to me this morning, "I'm glad you are having problems. You learn more when you have problems"

Who learn without problems ?