Big Red 9-5 Build

The_Prycer

This build is dumb and I am dumb for making it, but I've owned a 9590FX since 2014 and I really, really wanted to finally finish building something with it, so I spent far more money than I should have in order to realize my younger self's dream 8 core PC. I salvaged the RAM from my last computer who died an unfortunate capacitor related death as well as the 3 HDDs who store all my samples, old song ideas, and a moderately dank Steam library.

Currently waiting on some Molex to fan connectors to arrive so I can hook up my water loop and at least see if it can run Crysis or not.

Even though the main purpose of this machine will be audio production, graphic design, and 1080p video editing. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

And if you're wondering why I chose a 590 that's right, because it had the numbers "9" and "5" in the name for full meme value. This thing is going to get bottlenecked so hard, but luckily the 590 is a nice enough card that when I decide to build another PC in 5 years this thing will still be moderately relevant. My old Gpu was a 660ti and I could have technically run this system with it, but I needed full meme value for this stupid build.

It'll be running Windows 7 pro as I don't care to let Microsoft spy on me and I'm never hooking it up to the Internet after the initial driver downloads/updates anyway. I know DX12 is cool and the boot times are faster, but Windows 8 made me hate Microsoft (I smashed a laptop in rage) and the obscene data collection and bloatware of 10 didn't do them any favors either. Even if I'm going to be always offline anyway. I learned to fix PCs on Vista/ME/7 so I'm just going full nostalgia with this build.

For additional cooling I will be setting a 32" box fan right next to the open case when in use and only putting the side panel on when not in use as this computer will be in a separate room from me when I'm using it (because recording) so noise-and to some extent, heat-is not a concern.

I will be using the SSD as a boot drive and to hold my DAW+samples while the 1TB HDD is for holding recording and graphics, the 1st 320GB is for my game's library, and the 2nd is for holding a backup of the initial SSD. If I decide to ever sink more money in to this stupid thing I'll be replacing the HDD's with SSDs to run in RAID 10 for the only performance increase I could possibly care about.

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

• 4 weeks later...

And $800 of parts just went tits up.

I finally got the Molex to 3 pin fan connector in today that I needed to connect the water pump up to a power source, turned the beasty on for the first time, heard a POP, smelled something bad, and now I have to go through and see what exactly is fucked up. 

Gods I hate my life some days.

5 years I've been waiting to finish this build and it breaks before I can even load anything on to it.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

3 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

And $800 of parts just went tits up.

I finally got the Molex to 3 pin fan connector in today that I needed to connect the water pump up to a power source, turned the beasty on for the first time, heard a POP, smelled something bad, and now I have to go through and see what exactly is fucked up. 

Gods I hate my life some days.

5 years I've been waiting to finish this build and it breaks before I can even load anything on to it.

ya i love the asus sabortooth bordes one day ill have a collection of them. my dad he the one with the heat shield bur he took it off. it is a scam but hey i just like it. i thoght about making my own heat shield out of plexy or something might still do that as the mb that have it are still like $150+

hmm and i thought 3 years was too long...on my build.

ya i did raid once my dad set up a 2 150 wd gb velociraptors and he did an overclock on the 920 form 2.66 to 4.0 and worked for a bit but then it failed and when that happens you cant get your data off of it so anything that was not saved on my storage drive was lost so no raid for me haha

im in the same bot as you with windows 10 i hate it. and i built a new build around the idea. 2 pc in 1 case one windows 7 and other windows 10 for gaming only.

i did buy a used laptop that has Windows 10 on it and m.2. and windows 7 wont install on a m.2 so.....im forced to use windows 10 on it.... i did disable as much as i could be time will tell it it stays that way. i keep my updates off and i have no problems so w/e if i get hacked i get hacked. i should keep all my storage off line thow.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Alrighty, so my PSU-when plugged in to another system-powers on fully and without issue so I know that isn't the issue. My Mobo LED and water pump light both emit light so I know power is getting from the PSU to the mobo. So, my next course of action is to unscrew my mobo and check every single screw and spacer to make sure there isn't a short somewhere due to that.

If I can't find the issue there I'll drop my old 6300 CPU in to this board to see if I had a dead processor or not.

If that doesn't fix it I'm selling it for parts and either building a shiny Intel DDR3 build or just buying a new Ryzen prebuilt because I'm done investing time in to this monstrosity.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚