is my laptop's screen broken? or is it the connector?

Ashleyyyy
Go to solution Solved by Ashleyyyy,

@Caennanu the problem was the connector. it had become loose. i have duct-taped it in place now, so it's not going anywhere.

so i put a screen from a broken AF hp laptop (it didn't turn on. it just did nothing) into my toshiba laptop, it was the same size and resolution as the original toshiba screen so it fit perfectly. the toshiba had a cracked screen so it had to be fixed. 

i've been using it for a month or so like this and it has been fine. however i just saw some pixels that were lighting up white at random, and i noticed that if i flex the display it will get those white pixels and if i flex it more the backlight will turn off. 

the display i put in was in unknown condition because the original laptop did absolutely nothing, so i don't know if this was an issue in the original laptop too. 

it's not a problem for now because in general use it doesn't turn off, but it does worry me slightly that i could just open it one day and be left with no backlight. 

is it possible i didn't put the connector in correctly when i put the screen in? because that is something i could look at. if it's the display itself there isn't much i can do. so what do you peeps think?

She/Her

What 4,5 year of laptop repairs (been roughly 10 years tho) have told me, is that in most cases the inverter here is at fault. in a way. As your story can go a couple directions.

A screen being the same size and resolution in the laptop world doesn't matter much. It is about all the other stats we generally do not think about. Power draw, usage, type of backlight etc. etc. If you placed the screen but didn't use the inventer that came with the replacement screen, you might just have a mismatch between the two causing this to happen.

However you are also talking about random pixels lighting up white. Pixels are not controlled by the inverter or the backlight at all. They are driven bij de flatcable that leads to the mainboard. Flatcables have variety in them too however they may fit, they might not work correctly in your combination. Since you've been using it for a while in this configuration i don't see this as an immediate issue as you would experience it the first time you turn it on.

Eventually i think you can come to the conclusion that the screen itsself or the flatcable is / are defective.

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

1 minute ago, Caennanu said:

Eventually i think you can come to the conclusion that the screen itsself or the flatcable are defective.

well, the display isn't really secured very well, so it does move a little bit if i flex it. the cable is also not secured properly. would it help if i put some tape on the connector between the flatcable and the screen? so that it can't move?

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

well, the display isn't really secured very well, so it does move a little bit if i flex it. the cable is also not secured properly. would it help if i put some tape on the connector between the flatcable and the screen? so that it can't move?

Most likely yes, but it can also be that the damage is already done.

I do not know how it is currently, but back in the days all the cables actually were taped to the back of the screen. (sometimes using such good tape you could rip the backlight off)

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

3 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

Most likely yes, but it can also be that the damage is already done.

I do not know how it is currently, but back in the days all the cables actually were taped to the back of the screen. (sometimes using such good tape you could rip the backlight off)

it was, but i removed it very gently on the original thing, and the tape on this connector is so old that it does nothing. that connector is currently held in by friction so... 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

it was, but i removed it very gently on the original thing, and the tape on this connector is so old that it does nothing. that connector is currently held in by friction so... 

friction fitting is good. But yes in this case, tape is better.

You can atleast give it a shot and experience it. If it works, so be it. Else we look further.

@Caennanu the problem was the connector. it had become loose. i have duct-taped it in place now, so it's not going anywhere.

She/Her

Good to hear!