New to Linux

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
10 hours ago, AntiHero said:

While i am awear that avoiding viruses is as easy as dont click dumb links, I was simply looking for an added layer of protection. I find myself on public wifi alot and always use a VPN for that reason i figured something more couldn't hurt...

Best thing with Linux is that you always have two passwords. Your user password and root password. Don't use root password anywhere where you don't feel safe, nor use it to anything that you aren't sure what it does. Linux root access is much more powerful than having administrator status on normal Windows.

Hello, first time posting but been a LTT fan for afew months now, I'm new to Linux more or less and I am taking a course on it this semester. I was wondering if anyone could give me good suggestions for antivirus/anti-malware for it? currently running mint 19.2 which is apparently just a version of Ubuntu. Help is always welcome and I can offer any info needed!

9 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

So before you jump into linux in general you need to understand a bit more about the consumer computer sphere.

Antivirus/antimalware is a joke. The best security against those common threats is to not download dumb stuff.

And the other note on this is:

>linux

>anti virus

These two things do not go together. Primarily because there are very few viruses that target linux users or work on linux anyway, and the other is that if youre using linux youre expected to know how to avoid ever dealing with that to begin with.

Antivirus software exists for the dumb, the people who click "download minecraft free now" or "3d animated babes for your desktop" or failed to notice the .exe at the end of that mp3 they downloaded.

While i am awear that avoiding viruses is as easy as dont click dumb links, I was simply looking for an added layer of protection. I find myself on public wifi alot and always use a VPN for that reason i figured something more couldn't hurt...

10 hours ago, AntiHero said:

Best thing with Linux is that you always have two passwords. Your user password and root password. Don't use root password anywhere where you don't feel safe, nor use it to anything that you aren't sure what it does. Linux root access is much more powerful than having administrator status on normal Windows.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

As others have said, Linux doesn't need antivirus. However if you still believe you need it I recommend either ESET Nod32 for Linux or Comodo Antivirus

You don't need an AV. Are there viruses, yes, but they normally get patched rather quickly. Most Window viruses are written in Linux.

There is normally a Firewall built into any well-known distro. That is about all you need.