Must do things in Vancouver?

Hasufein

Hi Gents,

So I've just arrived in Vancouver (Holy crap its cold here; arrived from aus), and have a few days to muck around before business. To the Canadian locals; what are some typically 'canadian' things that you'd recommend I try out? (Things I wouldn't necessarily find on tripadvisor; e.g. go eat a 'poutine')

Cheers,

H.

recommend I try out? (Things I wouldn't necessarily find on tripadvisor; e.g. go eat a 'poutine')

chop down some trees, go buy cheap electronics at ncix, and then go watch a hockey game. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Goto NCIX

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

Meet Linus? 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Lived in YVR for 23 years. My list would be:

Rent a bike from georgia and denman st, bike around Stanley park

Hit up commercial drive, some great coffee/ diners/ markets there. Also main st past broadway has some good boutiques

Science World is decent

Day trip to Victoria? Cool to see the parliament buildings there and some museums

Granville st in dt is the main clubbing/bar scene.  Celebrities on Tuesdays is awesome, go early though the line is huge

Shopping on Robson 

Cessna 150/172 flight around YVR, can get a decent price flying out of boundry bay or pitt meadows

Ski/ Snowboard.  Grouse is your best bet, whistler/blackcomb is bloody expensive

Kayak/ Canoe in deep cove - Theres some decent hiking there too

Tea/ lunch at either Queenie Park or the Teahouse in Stanley Park

Thats my suggestions, lots to do.  

Food:

Antons on Hastings - Huge portions and great food

West end of Robson, best ramen and korean BBQ

The Boathouse/ Coast/ Carderos for seafood

Poutine? Fritz on Davie and Granville was my fav, but Ive never been sober lol

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

whoa skylark, that's a long list of suggestions! thanks everyone for the input. I made a scouting venture today to check out places. I made a sort of Tech-ligious pilgrimage across many roads, a bridge and a motor way to the fabled 'NCIX' on West Broadway (I assume the W on this map means 'West') - only to find the place closed. FOILED! I did how ever see Olm8 Linus' face plastered on the front door - smirking mockingly at my error in not first checking the opening hours of the shop prior to walking an hour across the city to get there.

Anyway - some thoughts;

1) Canadian women between the ages of 18 - 24 posses nuclear reactors within their bodies; evidenced by their ability to walk around in -1*C weather in naught but yoga pants and tank tops.
2) Humidity appears to be nothing more than an 8 letter H word in this country.
3) I can't understand half of what people say; people can't understand any of what I say.
4) Il y a beacoup personnes qui parler francais ici
5) In vancouver it is ok to place pedestrian foot crossings on ramped entries and exits to an 8 lane motoway.
6) Busses work like trams here?!
7) Cold isn't nice.
8) Dogs are of a generally friendly nature, and will abandon their owners by the waterfront to offer me a stick. A crooked stick.
9) Vancouver is a ghost town on sunday before 11am
10) As per the above point; I still have not found the CBD. Apparently its on Robinson street.

Anyway lads - time to plan adventures for the next 2 days.

whoa skylark, that's a long list of suggestions! thanks everyone for the input. I made a scouting venture today to check out places. I made a sort of Tech-ligious pilgrimage across many roads, a bridge and a motor way to the fabled 'NCIX' on West Broadway (I assume the W on this map means 'West') - only to find the place closed. FOILED! I did how ever see Olm8 Linus' face plastered on the front door - smirking mockingly at my error in not first checking the opening hours of the shop prior to walking an hour across the city to get there.

Anyway - some thoughts;

1) Canadian women between the ages of 18 - 24 posses nuclear reactors within their bodies; evidenced by their ability to walk around in -1*C weather in naught but yoga pants and tank tops.

3) I can't understand half of what people say; people can't understand any of what I say.

5) In vancouver it is ok to place pedestrian foot crossings on ramped entries and exits to an 8 lane motoway.

7) Cold isn't nice.

8) Dogs are of a generally friendly nature, and will abandon their owners by the waterfront to offer me a stick. A crooked stick.

10) As per the above point; I still have not found the CBD. Apparently its on Robinson street.

All the NCIX stores are closed on Sunday... Might be worth hitting up metrotown, its a huge mall and the NCIX is only about a 10 min walk. Also its Robson not Robinson lol. I would say the CBD is enclosed by Robson, Hastings, Granville and Bute.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

Hasufein, on 02 Feb 2014 - 6:01 PM, said:

Anyway - some thoughts;

7) Cold isn't nice.

Go to this thing called "Tim Hortons" and buy some "Timbits" and coffee. Good stuff.

Other then that im not sure what special things you can do. other then trying a lot of food from other places...

Have fun!

Hi again Gents,

So back in Australia now (sad times. Compared to canada, it certainly disappoints). Thanks all for your suggestions - I managed to do some of them - aquarium at Stanley Park/granville island, etc.
Most of the time was spent at the comp i was there for though - relatively positive outcome - came 2nd (beaten by UBC - dam yuu UBC) but happy with how we performed against the Canadian/US/International competiiton.

Certainly looking forward to my next opportunity to visit Canada - it's awesome!

H.