Moving from prebuilt to home built pc - Advice please!

Hi all,

I currently have a lenovo t730 gaming tower however the mother board and case are a little restrictive in terms of upgrades. Therefore i'm thinking of moving the cpu (i7 8700k), GPU (1060 6GB), memory and storage (1 m.2 NVME and 2 3.5 inch HDDS) over to the new build to give more options into the future. This PC would remain my main one for now but the idea is it will eventually become my plex server full time once i move onto a new system.

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations for the parts outlined below. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Motherboard:

Budget: up to £150 ish

wont be overclocking heavily, probably just have a go with one of the auto performance things

would need front panel usb3 headers, usb c would be nice

needs to have at least 1 m.2 slot and probably 4-6 sata ports( will be adding hard drives as plex server builds|)

wifi optional - i should always be using ethernet anyway

rgb - not too bothered eitherway 

I had seen this MSI TOMAHAWK one on amazon. it seems to have everything i need but i've seen mixed reviews. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-MAG-Z390-TOMAHAWK-Intel/dp/B07HM4M971/ref=pd_sbs_147_3/260-3967793-7514065?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HM4M971&pd_rd_r=73cd7ee2-49c8-45f4-b819-df589e1a034b&pd_rd_w=Xwpw7&pd_rd_wg=BwSpF&pf_rd_p=15756fbb-4ceb-4379-9d2c-7af36daab01e&pf_rd_r=PTT78CCD18B3FB99W36E&psc=1&refRID=PTT78CCD18B3FB99W36E

Case:

Budget: also up to £150, not really sure how much is required for a good case

needs front panel usb 3, usb c would be nice but doesnt seem common yet

rgb doesnt matter too much but nice if not much extra.

prefer something with a window but again not too fussy.

ideally fairly quiet

PSU:

Budget: seems a bad idea to cheap out on this so whatever it costs for a safe and reliable one from a good maker

Case; fractal design meshify C or S2

psu; RM550x / be quiet straight power 10/11   

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Go with a Gigabyte Z390 board. The Z390 Gaming X can be had for around £130. Even the entry level Z390 UD would do fine.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CdPKHx/gigabyte-z390-gaming-x-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-gaming-x

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/cHZFf7/gigabyte-z390-ud-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-ud

If you don't mind going £20 or so over your £150 budget, then the Aorus Pro is solid as well. This also has the USB Type C header.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MVPKHx/gigabyte-z390-aorus-pro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-pro

PSU is one of the things you should never cheap out on. Always try to get reliable PSUs from trusted makers. Any power supply made by Corsair/EVGA/Seasonic/Thermaltake is trustworthy. Also try to get a 80+ certified one. I personally can't really recommend one right now because there are way too many options out there. What kind of budget do you have for the power supply? Do you need it modular? How much power?

6 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

What kind of budget do you have for the power supply? Do you need it modular? How much power?

Dont really have a budget, as you (and most) have advised me i dont want to cheap out so will spend what is needed for one with appropriate wattage that is reliable. I don't need some of the fancy things like rgb and displays on the PSU. powering an i7 8700k with minimal OC, 1060 6gb, and probably up to 4 3.5 inch hard drives. Im thinking 550w should be sufficient? pc part picker estimates 350w for my setup at the moment

Just now, CantCompute said:

Dont really have a budget, as you (and most) have advised me i dont want to cheap out so will spend what is needed for one with appropriate wattage that is reliable. I don't need some of the fancy things like rgb and displays on the PSU. powering an i7 8700k with minimal OC, 1060 6gb, and probably up to 4 3.5 inch hard drives. Im thinking 550w should be sufficient? pc part picker estimates 350w for my setup at the moment

500~600W should be sufficient for most rigs (including yours). 

20 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

PSU is one of the things you should never cheap out on. Always try to get reliable PSUs from trusted makers. Any power supply made by Corsair/EVGA/Seasonic/Thermaltake is trustworthy. Also try to get a 80+ certified one.

That is not true. All manufacturers/brands have good/bad units in their lineups, and Thermaltake especially have some really bad ones. Never just go off the brand.

3 hours ago, lee32uk said:

That is not true. All manufacturers/brands have good/bad units in their lineups, and Thermaltake especially have some really bad ones. Never just go off the brand.

*usually. Point being that a reputable brand's PSU isn't going to go boom on you compared to some random manufacturer in China.

46 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

*usually. Point being that a reputable brand's PSU isn't going to go boom on you compared to some random manufacturer in China.

Brand has nothing to do with the quality of a psu. Go look at the psu tier list and you will see that there are a few Thermaltake units on Tier D. They are there for a reason (Because they are junk).