My CPU is overheating like mad! (AMD Athlon x4 860)

Hi guys,

I am new to this site but I watch almost all of Linus' videos. I am here literally for this problem.

So the situation is that I bought this CPU in seemingly pristine condition (second hand) on eBay recently. Now the first time I installed it, it was supposedly perfect, running games and on low load. Temps were around 30 degrees Celsius idle (Not sure). 

Now, the CPU temperatures spiked up to 80-110 degrees Celsius even on idle. I am not sure whats happening. When I run the BIOS, it starts at around 50 then rises all the way up to 70 degrees. I use SPECCY to see the temperatures by the way.

I live in the UK and around this time, it is quite hot around here (around 32~ degrees Celsius, much higher than normal). I don't know if that is a factor.

Also I am running the stock AMD cooler that came with it. However, I purchased this cheap £1.49 thermal paste on eBay as well which I used on the cpu which could be why. It was this one 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicon-Thermal-Heat-sink-Compound-Cooling-Paste-Grease-PC-CPU-Processor-Syringe/272704456590?hash=item3f7e73c78e:g:CC0AAOSwi7RZNmQL.

If someone can help quick, that would be great!

I also got a quick BSoD that said memory_management at one point.

By the way, all drives, gpu, motherboard, ram, etc are running at normal temps (40~)

Specs:

motherboard: Gigabyte f2a68hm-hd2

CPU: x4 860k

Cooler: Stock AMD Athlon

GPU: GTX 960 2gb

PSU: 400w ATNG 85% 

RAM: 16gb ddr3 1600mhz

3 minutes ago, Cly Art said:

Hi guys,

I am new to this site but I watch almost all of Linus' videos. I am here literally for this problem.

So the situation is that I bought this CPU in seemingly pristine condition (second hand) on eBay recently. Now the first time I installed it, it was supposedly perfect, running games and on low load. Temps were around 30 degrees Celsius idle (Not sure). 

Now, the CPU temperatures spiked up to 80-110 degrees Celsius even on idle. I am not sure whats happening. When I run the BIOS, it starts at around 50 then rises all the way up to 70 degrees. I use SPECCY to see the temperatures by the way.

I live in the UK and around this time, it is quite hot around here (around 32~ degrees Celsius, much higher than normal). I don't know if that is a factor.

Also I am running the stock AMD cooler that came with it. However, I purchased this cheap £1.49 thermal paste on eBay as well which I used on the cpu which could be why. It was this one 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicon-Thermal-Heat-sink-Compound-Cooling-Paste-Grease-PC-CPU-Processor-Syringe/272704456590?hash=item3f7e73c78e:g:CC0AAOSwi7RZNmQL.

By the way, all drives, gpu, motherboard, ram, etc are running at normal temps (40~)

Specs:

I've highlighted both problems - Speccy is broken and the paste is likely crap. Get something decent and use HWiNFO

14 minutes ago, Cly Art said:

Just take the side panel off of the case to give the stock cooler the best chance.,

But is that the cooler that came with the 860K? Or was it one you already had that's smaller?

Just buy a gammax 400 or some other cheap 4 heat pipe 120mm cooler.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 8/27/2019 at 4:00 PM, 5x5 said:

I've highlighted both problems - Speccy is broken and the paste is likely crap. Get something decent and use HWiNFO

Thanks for the advice and quick responses. You guys are like ninjas! Could this destroy my components though? Also i think my pc recovered from the bsod memory management thing. Is my pc safe if I clean it out and put a new cooler and paste on?

On 8/27/2019 at 4:11 PM, Streetguru said:

Just take the side panel off of the case to give the stock cooler the best chance.,

But is that the cooler that came with the 860K? Or was it one you already had that's smaller?

Just buy a gammax 400 or some other cheap 4 heat pipe 120mm cooler.

Thanks for replying. I removed the side panel, no changes but when i put ky hand near the cpu cooler, it feels like no air is passing, idk how it works though.

yes it was the cooler it came in with the box. I think all the athlons have the same stock cooler anyway. Ill look into your suggestions. Thanks!

I was looking at both https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F181584003759

and an arctic cooler something for my fm2(+) motherboard.

5 minutes ago, Cly Art said:

I was looking at both https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F181584003759

and an arctic cooler something for my fm2(+) motherboard.

Is your case really short?

because you need one of these, 4 heatpipes, 120mm fan, FM2 uses the same mount as AM3, so a lot of coolers will fit with the same clip option, this one even fits on AM4.

Or it fits in the same holes if it uses that kind of mount. This one may have some RAM clearance issues if your RAM has giant heatsinks.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cooler-Master-Hyper-T4-RR-T4-18PK-R1-120mm-CPU-Fan-For-Intel-and-AMD-Sockets/264315596997?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D3bc2a0529d294a5bac65607f5cfda672%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D181584003759%26itm%3D264315596997%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Is your case really short?

because you need one of these, 4 heatpipes, 120mm fan, FM2 uses the same mount as AM3, so a lot of coolers will fit with the same clip option, this one even fits on AM4.

Or it fits in the same holes if it uses that kind of mount. This one may have some RAM clearance issues if your RAM has giant heatsinks.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cooler-Master-Hyper-T4-RR-T4-18PK-R1-120mm-CPU-Fan-For-Intel-and-AMD-Sockets/264315596997?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D3bc2a0529d294a5bac65607f5cfda672%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D181584003759%26itm%3D264315596997%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Isnt the one i linked good? My case is micro atx i think, has a lot more space in the case though

Just now, Cly Art said:

Isnt the one i linked good? My case is micro atx i think, has a lot more space in the case though

It's going to have worse cooling since it's only a 92mm fan, and it's smaller.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Cly Art said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362403978128

what about this. I didnt want that one since it is quite cheap in the us but not in the uk...

It's fine, all of the heatsinks of that size with at least 4 heatpipes will have about the same performance.

Spoiler

On 8/27/2019 at 6:54 PM, Streetguru said:

It's fine, all of the heatsinks of that size with at least 4 heatpipes will have about the same performance.

Thanks, so i bought the mx 4 paste and ima buy this so will this be a good combination?

Oh yeah, is it possible that the overheating can damage anything else, even itself. It has shutdown once on me. It is ONLY the cpu that is overheating though, everything else is perfect

16 minutes ago, Cly Art said:

Oh yeah, is it possible that the overheating can damage anything else, even itself. It has shutdown once on me. It is ONLY the cpu that is overheating though, everything else is perfect

The heatsink is going to come with some thermal paste

You should probably throw a fan over the VRM on that board, and avoid pushing it very hard, maybe even undervolt the CPU a bit so it draws less power.

That motherboard is like really low end, especially for a 4core, your VRM may just be overheating rather than the CPU.

Spoiler

On 8/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, Streetguru said:

The heatsink is going to come with some thermal paste

You should probably throw a fan over the VRM on that board, and avoid pushing it very hard, maybe even undervolt the CPU a bit so it draws less power.

That motherboard is like really low end, especially for a 4core, your VRM may just be overheating rather than the CPU.

Im going to buy a 120mm fan an somehow attatch it over the cpu cooler. I watched this video about it. He used like some bracket to attatch it. Also how do I know that it is the vrm and how do i check vrm temps.

im kinda scared to fiddle with the voltage as i dont want to break my computer. The bsod was already terrifying. 

I swear the better branded pastes are 'better quality'. 

I also downloaded hwinfo and found that idle cpu temps are okay but the cpu package (tsi) is so hight (80-100 degrees c) i dont know what this means

On 8/27/2019 at 4:00 PM, 5x5 said:

Yeah im planning for a better cooler, extra case fans and high performance paste. But in hwinfo, cpu temps are decent but the cpu packet temps are high. What does this mean? Also i reaaplied the cheap paste for the time being until my stuff arrives

16 hours ago, Cly Art said:

Im going to buy a 120mm fan an somehow attatch it over the cpu cooler. I watched this video about it. He used like some bracket to attatch it. Also how do I know that it is the vrm and how do i check vrm temps.

im kinda scared to fiddle with the voltage as i dont want to break my computer. The bsod was already terrifying. 

Just open CPU-Z and check what voltages your CPU maxes out as when running a game or benchmark, that's where you want to start in the bios for lowing the voltage to still hit like 3500mhz or something.

You could also just go into advanced windows power management, and set the maximum state to like 75% or 80% to get power usage down.

You just want to lower the voltage/clocks instead of increasing them naturally.

Most likely the weak VRM on that board is your biggest issue. Underclocking your CPU is going to help with that.

Spoiler

On 8/28/2019 at 6:43 PM, Streetguru said:

Just open CPU-Z and check what voltages your CPU maxes out as when running a game or benchmark, that's where you want to start in the bios for lowing the voltage to still hit like 3500mhz or something.

You could also just go into advanced windows power management, and set the maximum state to like 75% or 80% to get power usage down.

You just want to lower the voltage/clocks instead of increasing them naturally.

Most likely the weak VRM on that board is your biggest issue. Underclocking your CPU is going to help with that.

I downloaded hwinfo and the cpu tcl temps are low but the cpu package temps are high, do you know what this means?

My bios version is 'fc'

On 8/27/2019 at 4:56 PM, Cly Art said:

Hi guys,

Specs:

Check the obvious things first...like verifying all of the fans are running and at their normal speed. I would try removing the CPU, cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol and reapplying proper thermal paste - also make sure the fan is properly seated when you re-install.

52 minutes ago, steelo said:

Check the obvious things first...like verifying all of the fans are running and at their normal speed. I would try removing the CPU, cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol and reapplying proper thermal paste - also make sure the fan is properly seated when you re-install.

Thanks for advice, im currently waiting for the mx4 paste and about to purchase a new cooler and case fans. By any chance, do you know what my high cpu package temperatures mean? I checked on hwinfo and cpu temps seem okay, pretty low, but when i check the cpu package is stays quite high in even idle. Do you what this is indicating?

27 minutes ago, Cly Art said:

Thanks for advice, im currently waiting for the mx4 paste and about to purchase a new cooler and case fans. By any chance, do you know what my high cpu package temperatures mean? I checked on hwinfo and cpu temps seem okay, pretty low, but when i check the cpu package is stays quite high in even idle. Do you what this is indicating?

The CPU temp is your socket temp. The package temp is your core temp - this is the one you want to watch closely.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, steelo said:

The CPU temp is your socket temp. The package temp is your core temp - this is the one you want to watch closely.

Yeahbut how do I keep this low

On amd overdrive, my thermal margin is around 50-60 degrees idle. Does a new cooler, more case fans and high performance paste reduce cpu package temps?

1 hour ago, Cly Art said:

On amd overdrive, my thermal margin is around 50-60 degrees idle. Does a new cooler, more case fans and high performance paste reduce cpu package temps?

A bigger heatsink is pretty much the only thing that's going to cool your CPU better. Taking the side panel off of a case might help.

Underclocking your CPU is going to do a lot as well.

Spoiler

On 8/29/2019 at 2:50 PM, Streetguru said:

A bigger heatsink is pretty much the only thing that's going to cool your CPU better. Taking the side panel off of a case might help.

Underclocking your CPU is going to do a lot as well.

Please tell how to undervolt my cpu without damaging anything. Is my heat margin good? What causes a high socket/package temperature??

Here are my thermal margins. They fluctuate quite rapidly, the frequency, the multiplier, etc.

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

These are also from overdrive. Is this where i undervolt? And i read about turbo boost.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

This is all from hwinfo64 sensors only. Tell me whats up

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

On 8/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, steelo said:

Hi, is it possible if you could examine my pictures i replied to streetguru with? Thanks!

This is inside my pc. Stock cooler, 1 cheap case fan, rubbish 1.2 thermal conductivity paste, etc.

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

1 minute ago, Cly Art said:

Pretty sure that's the heatsink for a dual core CPU? Looks short anyways.

The only thing you need to do really is buy a bigger heatsink,  you can usually find Gammax 400s for under $20 on sale

as for undervolting or underclocking just look up youtube videos

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Pretty sure that's the heatsink for a dual core CPU? Looks short anyways.

The only thing you need to do really is buy a bigger heatsink,  you can usually find Gammax 400s for under $20 on sale

as for undervolting or underclocking just look up youtube videos

Thanks, ima buy a gammaxx 400. Its £20 on amazon. Ima buy 2 case fans (arctic f9 92mm) for the front for intake (dont have one yet) and ima clip another connected to the fan at the back with metal l brackets. Ill show you when its done! 

Anything you can tell from the temps??

3 minutes ago, Cly Art said:

Thanks, ima buy a gammaxx 400. Its £20 on amazon. Ima buy 2 case fans (arctic f9 92mm) for the front for intake (dont have one yet) and ima clip another connected to the fan at the back with metal l brackets. Ill show you when its done! 

Anything you can tell from the temps??

You don't really need the extra case fans just the bigger heatsink.

Take the fan off of the old heatsink, and find a way to mount it over the VRM on the left side of the CPU.

Kinda like this
lW5kPxk.jpg

Spoiler

Sorry, I wasn't able to reply until now. I agree with the above, that heatsink looks really inadequate and you probably need some quality thermal paste.

6 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You don't really need the extra case fans just the bigger heatsink.

Take the fan off of the old heatsink, and find a way to mount it over the VRM on the left side of the CPU.

Kinda like this
lW5kPxk.jpg

Where am i supposed to do that? Isnt my case and mobo small? I saw this video...